Quantcast

Coming to Western NC

jbrunton

Chimp
Oct 26, 2001
America's wang
I will be heading up to the western part of NC from FL on the weekend of Oc. 2,3. I've been up there a few times to ride earlier in the summer but always went to Sugar. Seeing as I am coming up later this year the lifts are already closed. I am not to familiar with any of the trails in the area. I am looking for a place to ride that obviously doesn't have too much climbing. I would really like to meet up some fellow :monkey:'s if anyone is doing any shuttling. Thanks.

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
Ok, ok, I know it's not in NC , but you should totally ride Windrock! About 30 minutes west of Knoxville. If your driving through you should stop by. Spoke80 and Profro are there all the time. Im there about every other weekend. Im sure if the weather is halfway decent there will be people shuttling, especially on the 3rd.

jbrunton

Chimp
Oct 26, 2001
America's wang
If I was coming up there by myself or one of my friends I would be tempted to go to Windrock. Unfortunately this is a family trip so it really needs to be in western NC. If something changes that will definately be my first choice.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Hey check out www.hickhucksters.com they ride all of the high country. Windrock is totally off the chain too I have been there some of the best downhill period out of any place I have been and I have been to BC!! See if you can get ahold of a man by the name of Billy Bad @$$ he is one of the hucksters. He is also the one that introduced me to Windrock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
also...from ASheville, Windrock is now NO LESS than 3 1/2 hours away. I40 is closed in the gorge. THe flooding washed away 3 lanes.

And be forewarned...if you're riding here in the next few weeks....be prepared to get off your bike ALOT! I rode Bent Creek yesterday and didn't even make it off the dirt road (in 1 HOUR!!!) . There are so many massive oak trees down in the forest and across the trails that it's just retarded. I'm trying again tommorrow to see if some different trails are cleaner

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
A couple of us were thinking about heading up the weekend of Oct 16th. Do you think the trails will be pretty cleaned up by then?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I do know that the center trail that runs from Ingles Field Gap to the creekbed at Rice Pinnacle had been cleared by somebody with a chainsaw but that was the ONLY cuts I saw. Maybe someone will assault the place this weekend with cutting tools.

It's not your ordinary tree fall....it's all BIG, BIG OAKS! They have a shallow root base but the trunks are massive. I counted 8-10 on the Rice Pinnacle side of the picnic table. So if it's gonna get cleared...it will be by a full on chainsaw. On the positive side...if anybody wants to build some ladder crossings out of the timber or log ride skinny's...you've got tons to work with now! I saw several places where cutting the dead fall and using it as entrance and exit ramps would make some simple, fun low technical effort obstacles. nothing scary.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Any info on N Mills area trails? Kitzuma or anything? Is 40 just Blocked or is it FUBARed? We wanted to hit up Windrock on Saturday if it was a 2 hour drive, but closer to 4 makes it not an option.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Any info on N Mills area trails? Kitzuma or anything? Is 40 just Blocked or is it FUBARed? We wanted to hit up Windrock on Saturday if it was a 2 hour drive, but closer to 4 makes it not an option.

fubar dude. they are talking about it takin a long time to repair like almost a year. sucks cause they just got the damn thing opened 3 weeks ago after about 2 years of construction. thought you wanted to do brown mountain anyway? too much climbing/pushing for ya?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
fubar dude. they are talking about it takin a long time to repair like almost a year. sucks cause they just got the damn thing opened 3 weeks ago after about 2 years of construction. thought you wanted to do brown mountain anyway? too much climbing/pushing for ya?

Ahh its about time you are back! Windrock was an option. I am down if you are. We just want to make sure the whole trip won't be a bust. How are the conditions at Brown? I'd also like to do the following that weekend....
Shuttle
Trace ridge from the Parkway again (I really like that ride)
Butter Gap - if we have 2 cars we can shuttle out the boring gravel road climb
Maybe while we are in the area then hit up Caney again?

edit... oh Bennet will be "open"

We can head on over to Brown on Saturday, that leaves Friday and a morning ride on Sunday for you to plan for us.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Ahh its about time you are back! Windrock was an option. I am down if you are. We just want to make sure the whole trip won't be a bust. How are the conditions at Brown? I'd also like to do the following that weekend....
Shuttle
Trace ridge from the Parkway again (I really like that ride)
Butter Gap - if we have 2 cars we can shuttle out the boring gravel road climb
Maybe while we are in the area then hit up Caney again?

edit... oh Bennet will be "open"

We can head on over to Brown on Saturday, that leaves Friday and a morning ride on Sunday for you to plan for us.
Don't forget the jumps at Suwananoa, dood! I want to hit the place up for a while, maybe on Saturday...

Anybody know if those are rideable, or if they will be by Oct 15?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
bmxr said:
Don't forget the jumps at Suwananoa, dood! I want to hit the place up for a while, maybe on Saturday...

Anybody know if those are rideable, or if they will be by Oct 15?
They would be right on the way back from Brown wouldn't they Biggins?

This is what I am thinking, remember we would be with much "faster" group of people, no more wasting 2 hours getting out of the tents. We are coming to RIDE RIDE RIDE. We can drink and hang when it gets dark or we fall over.

Here we go - this plan is subject to damage control

Friday
Ride Pisgah in Shuttle Mode
Hit
Caney Bottoms
Butter Gap
-lunch
Bennet
whatever else is in that area, Farlow gap? Never ridden that one

Saturday
Head on over to the Brown Mtn area and let Biggins guide us around the ORV park. On the way back hit up Suwananoa for a little while, maybe a fast Kitzuma?

Sunday AM
Drop Trace ridge from the Parkway, then repeat lower Trace a few times until we have to clean up in the N Mills River and drive back to SFL :mad:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Biggins should do the Toll Road drop-in of Mitchell for you guys. I know you missed it last time around. And no shuttling Kitsuma or wuss shall be your name!

As for anything in Mills River and the fish hatchery, I can't say for certain. I'll know in the coming weeks since I'll hit each one at least once.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
bizutch said:
Biggins should do the Toll Road drop-in of Mitchell for you guys. I know you missed it last time around. And no shuttling Kitsuma or wuss shall be your name!

As for anything in Mills River and the fish hatchery, I can't say for certain. I'll know in the coming weeks since I'll hit each one at least once.
HAHA... well in this case the shuttling is for time savings not for wussing out. Actually BMxr is very good at dirt jumps. I'd like to check out Suwananoa, but not spend a bunch hours there. Aren't they close, maybe he can drop a few of us a the top of Kitzuma, then he can mess around at the jumps and then pick us up. Its all up in the air. at this point. But it makes for a happy distraction thinking about it at work. :D :D

So long as the conditions (Hurricane Damage) are good, we will have a blast.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
They would be right on the way back from Brown wouldn't they Biggins?

This is what I am thinking, remember we would be with much "faster" group of people, no more wasting 2 hours getting out of the tents. We are coming to RIDE RIDE RIDE. We can drink and hang when it gets dark or we fall over.

Here we go - this plan is subject to damage control

Friday
Ride Pisgah in Shuttle Mode
Hit
Caney Bottoms
Butter Gap
-lunch
Bennet
whatever else is in that area, Farlow gap? Never ridden that one

Saturday
Head on over to the Brown Mtn area and let Biggins guide us around the ORV park. On the way back hit up Suwananoa for a little while, maybe a fast Kitzuma?

Sunday AM
Drop Trace ridge from the Parkway, then repeat lower Trace a few times until we have to clean up in the N Mills River and drive back to SFL :mad:
the dirt jumps should be good by then. stopped by there yesterday and they were kinda beat from all the rain but they should be good by then. as far as brown goes, it is kind of a death march so be prepared unless we find someone to haul us up a ways. the dirt jumps will be doable the same day if everyone has enough energy after brown.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
UMMM??

FYi... trying to get Scott Boombatz to commit to going as well.
hell yeah he needs to come up here. been too long since i saw him last.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok FINE! Focus on Nikki & Erin, just hook us up with some good riding!

What are their email addy's again?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i dont have either of theirs. want their numbers though? hehehehe like id give those up anyway. MINE ALL MINE!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
i dont have either of theirs. want their numbers though? hehehehe like id give those up anyway. MINE ALL MINE!
Start planning a party for that Saturday night, and just make sure Asa is out climbing or something. :thumb:

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Who's the fat-boy drinking a beer with his shirt on? :eek:

Boombatz says he's definitely coming. Now, WTF is Jeanne going to do?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Start planning a party for that Saturday night, and just make sure Asa is out climbing or something. :thumb:

actually i'll see what i can do about that. maybe it can happen.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
fabulous, what a ghey word especially in that color. better watch out or butch will be hiding in the woods waiting for you come around a corner and .........,...... oh nevermind lets get back to the riding plans. so scott is comin up here as well huh?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
naw sure have not. probably pretty wrecked however.what trails you gonna ride? also will you give me a rundown of wwhat you have gotten the ok for at sugar. hopefully my chainsaw will be fixed in the next couple of days. how much for your turner frame?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
oh nevermind lets get back to the riding plans. so scott is comin up here as well huh?
That is the plan, although the weather keeps looking crappier and crappier. Come on all you NC :monkey: 's get out there and do some recon!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
biggins said:
naw sure have not. probably pretty wrecked however.what trails you gonna ride? also will you give me a rundown of wwhat you have gotten the ok for at sugar. hopefully my chainsaw will be fixed in the next couple of days. how much for your turner frame?
trail day is next Saturday October 2nd! It will be a scout and trim session...main goal is to layout the edges.

Then the weekend of Oktoberfest will be gut it and go day! The lifts will be on and anybody who wants to ride the upper section will get an arse whoopin' if they haven't worked on it. :nuts: By the looks of the terrain, the big things needed will be Mattock, Fire Rake and CHAINSAW! Gloves and boots as I'm sure it will be soggy.

Please cross post this on some other NC forums with my email address bizutch@hotmail.com for people who can attend. 10am bright and shiny at the backside of the lodge.