Quantcast

Commencal help...

De Gorski

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Help me Monkeys,

I am about to head off for 6 weeks round the US and Canada and have a small issue with my supreme.

The bearings in this part of the linkage are ruined, can anyone tell me if I can just push them all the way through, or do they need to be knocked out from the centre outwards?

Cheers and see some of you on the trails I hope,

Benoit

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
They each have to come out thier respective sides. If they could be pushed all the way through, there would be nothing to keep them in there centered....and they would work their way (move) around over time...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
De nada...

Probably better off gently tapping the bearing on oposite sides....like at 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock....just a little tap back and forth..back and forth...and so on....

If you hit them hard, two things are likely to happen..
one, they will wedge in the bore at an angle and get stuck...
and two, you are likely to break the bearing inner race out of the outer race...

If they are put in with loctite or are a tight fit...then it could certainly be difficult. You could also try some heat on the outer aluminum to expand it a bit...or some liquid nitrogen on the bearing.....

Once you get one out, then you have access to the backside of the other bearing. You can use a nut/bolt and a large socket if you have one to pull the bearing out....

way off topic, I find it interesting that UK english pluralizes many words that US english does not..like 'maths'...or 'forks'. Here that is as incorrect as saying you have one bicycles, or two dog.....yet obviously 'our' english came from the UK......

Last edited: