Quantcast

Commencal Meta Trail V4.2

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Buddy had one for the last few seasons, he trashed the hardware and had to warranty the frame, took a lot of back and forth and he eventually sold it and got a SC, seems a lot happier now. I can't remember what the exact issue is with the hardware, but it was something where he doesn't ride any more aggressively than the frame was intended and it just didn't hold up. I'd stay away based on riding with him and seeing what he experienced.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Buddy is looking at this bike. He's about 6'3 and has budget of around $3000-3500 Canadian pèsos.

https://www.commencalcanada.com/Mobile/meta-trail-v42-essential-650b-shiny-red-2018-c2x23809234

Anyone ridden one? Is XL okay for his height?

Any other suggestions in that price range?

@scrublover what do you ride?

I'm on a 2016 Meta AM. They've since gone to metric shocks, tweaked things a bit (the longer/slacker thing) Bang for buck is fantastic. Buy frame only, or the lowest model to get a good rolling chassis if you've got lots of cool isht in your parts bin. They are not light, but they aren't total pigs either. I've broken a few frames over the years - full confidence in my frames from them.

FWIW, went with mine to build a burly trail bike that I can beat on/take to resorts and not destroy, etc. Running a shorter i2i but same stroke shock gets me ~138mm in back. 160mm Lyrik up front. HA ~65.something.

Long story short: I think they are fantastic bikes, but I am down with the linkaged single pivot love.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm on a 2016 Meta AM. They've since gone to metric shocks, tweaked things a bit (the longer/slacker thing) Bang for buck is fantastic. Buy frame only, or the lowest model to get a good rolling chassis if you've got lots of cool isht in your parts bin. They are not light, but they aren't total pigs either. I've broken a few frames over the years - full confidence in my frames from them.

FWIW, went with mine to build a burly trail bike that I can beat on/take to resorts and not destroy, etc. Running a shorter i2i but same stroke shock gets me ~138mm in back. 160mm Lyrik up front. HA ~65.something.

Long story short: I think they are fantastic bikes, but I am down with the linkaged single pivot love.
Cool thanks for the info! We don't have much in the way of rock like what I see you riding, so I think that bike would be nice around here.

I need to convince him to do a coin toss between the Meta and Jeffsy.

Jeffsy has better parts I think....

He's upgrading from a Transition Covert of like 2010'ish era. So either bike will be a HOOOOOOOOOOOGE upgrade.

Last edited: