Quantcast

Commencal Mini

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm looking at picking up a used commencal mini dh frame. They've been making this frame for a while now (back to 05). Are there many differences between the model years from 05 to 08? I see some come with the adjustable head angle, and some don't, any other differences? Any model years to look out for? What's the best way to tell what year a frame is from?

What about sizing? There website seems to show that they are fairly short. I'm about 5'9", will the medium be big enough?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I'm looking at picking up a used commencal mini dh frame. They've been making this frame for a while now (back to 05). Are there many differences between the model years from 05 to 08? I see some come with the adjustable head angle, and some don't, any other differences? Any model years to look out for? What's the best way to tell what year a frame is from?

What about sizing? There website seems to show that they are fairly short. I'm about 5'9", will the medium be big enough?
I wanna say the '08s are a little bit beefier than the '05-'07 and it's easier to fit a chainguide. Pretty sure they're all adjustable head-tube angle, maybe the earlier '05 or '06s aren't? Geometry-wise pretty sure they're identical, only difference you might see is due the a2c height of the fork they used that year. Paintjob is the best way. The frame kits are easy to tell what year: '07s have the gucci-esque print pattern in gold on a white frame on the front triangle and the black rear triangle. '08s are all white w/lime green graphics and Commencal written on the bottom of the downtube. Not too sure about the '05 and '06s, and the completes have completely different paintjobs..

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks

The 2008 6.2 doesn't have the adjustable head angle, I wasn't sure whether some of the earlier ones didn't as well.

What about a grey/silver one with a black rear end?

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I believe the fully built up bikes put out by Commencal have alot of cheap and heavy parts on them. I would recommend buying a frame only and building up a custom bike if you can, otherwise you'll end up with a +40 pound 6 inch bike.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Rumor has it that instead of selling complete bikes, BTI will be selling frames + build kits. The builds they had at the Nationals were a reflection of the build kits and have much better components.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not buying complete. I'm building the frame up with parts I already have on my norco six.

Thanks for all your help. I got lucky and was able to find a smoking deal on an 08 supreme 6.2 frame that had been built up but never ridden.

Here she is. Sorry for the picture quality. Best I could do with my non existent photog skills, a point and shoot camera and bad lighting. I'll try to get a better one when I have her all built up.

Can't wait to get her built up. It's going to have to wait until Monday though as I'm heading out of town for the weekend.