Quantcast

Commencal Supreme DH 4.2. Anyone had/have one?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The 4.2 version, not the 4.3. Thoughts?

They have super short reaches so I'd be looking for an XL. The problem is that version uses a 10.5x3.5 rear shock to get just over 8.5 of rear travel. Whereas the 4.3 uses a metric sized shock to get 8 rear travel. I could get my 9.5x.3.0 Avalanche Woodie resized to 10.5 but of course, like anything out there, it's not cost effective. That's the only real issue I have.

carlos1

Chimp
Nov 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Hi, I have the 4.2 version with the long shock, there are Two things that you may consider. 1. the rocker link uses 8mm bolt to hold the shock, I managed to brake it in two pieces, so I had to remove the complete linkage because the rest of the bolt was stuck in the rocker link, manage to get it out, but the 4.3 version uses 10mm bolt, you can even buy the "upgraded" version for 250E :), so I got my warranted an replaced with the upgraded version.
2. the shock is so long, that if you want to remove it from the frame, you need to loosen and remove the upper bolt on the frame, then lift the rear wheel so that you can reach the lover bolt, whats even worst is , that if lover bolts loosens yo have to lean on your bike to expose the bolt and you can tighten it. apart from these things, the frame is superb. if you can, buy the 4.3 version

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I just bought one ))))))))
Commencal europe are selling leftover V4.2s as 2020 for about 300 euro cheaper than the current model and 200 euro less than the V4.3. Might not seem like much but for a tight budget that's halfway to a good shock like a holy grail or EXT.

Hi, I have the 4.2 version with the long shock, there are Two things that you may consider. 1. the rocker link uses 8mm bolt to hold the shock, I managed to brake it in two pieces, so I had to remove the complete linkage because the rest of the bolt was stuck in the rocker link, manage to get it out, but the 4.3 version uses 10mm bolt, you can even buy the "upgraded" version for 250E :), so I got my warranted an replaced with the upgraded version.
I heard about broken bolts, something about them being 8.8 grade instead of 10.9 or 12.9. I also asked them if the ''2020'' V4.2s have the upgraded 10mm rockers. If they do it seems like a pretty good deal if finding a long shock isn;t a problem

carlos1

Chimp
Nov 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Commencal europe are selling leftover V4.2s as 2020 for about 300 euro cheaper than the current model and 200 euro less than the V4.3. Might not seem like much but for a tight budget that's halfway to a good shock like a holy grail or EXT.

I heard about broken bolts, something about them being 8.8 grade instead of 10.9 or 12.9. I also asked them if the ''2020'' V4.2s have the upgraded 10mm rockers. If they do it seems like a pretty good deal if finding a long shock isn;t a problem
Hi my broken bolt had 12.9 stamped on the head so, maybe try to observe if the bolt isnt loosening or bending, before it breaks, also, I am 100Kg heavy so it may be a factor. :)

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Hi my broken bolt had 12.9 stamped on the head so, maybe try to observe if the bolt isnt loosening or bending, before it breaks, also, I am 100Kg heavy so it may be a factor. :)
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it so. I'm only 72kg so It'll probably be fine. For some reason I tend to break wheels a lot, only bent a shock bolt once.

dgriff

Chimp
Jan 8, 2020

I just got my "2020" V4.2 frame last week and can confirm the rocker bolt is 10mm. I didn't check what grade it is though. The bolt on the downtube mount is still 8mm. Also my frame has a sticker that has the shock specs and sag settings for the V4.3 even though the rocker is definitely a V4.2 one.

carlos1

Chimp
Nov 14, 2011
Czech Republic
I just got my "2020" V4.2 frame last week and can confirm the rocker bolt is 10mm. I didn't check what grade it is though. The bolt on the downtube mount is still 8mm. Also my frame has a sticker that has the shock specs and sag settings for the V4.3 even though the rocker is definitely a V4.2 one.
The 10mm bolt is custom made, it has nothing on it, but probably 12.9, the upper is for some reason fine, no loosening or bending, the rocker is same with the 10mm bolt as the one with 8mm bolt, the difference is the bolt and captive nut on the other side of the rocker, the 8mm had threads directly in the rocker link

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
may as well mention this too ; downtube mount shock hardware on the 2020 v4.2 is 20x8 like the 4.3 not 22.2x8 like the site says.
It is 22.2 on the rocker only. So looks like they built these up from spare 4.2 linkages lying around? lol

dgriff

Chimp
Jan 8, 2020
may as well mention this too ; downtube mount shock hardware on the 2020 v4.2 is 20x8 like the 4.3 not 22.2x8 like the site says.
It is 22.2 on the rocker only. So looks like they built these up from spare 4.2 linkages lying around? lol
Weird... mine was 22.2x8 on the downtube. Measured it with a caliper before I ordered the mounting hardware and used Fox part # 803-03-201 to stick a Van RC on it. Did you mount a shock on yours yet?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Weird... mine was 22.2x8 on the downtube. Measured it with a caliper before I ordered the mounting hardware and used Fox part # 803-03-201 to stick a Van RC on it. Did you mount a shock on yours yet?
I borrowed a cheap digital caliper for it so ill double check later. Wouldnt be surprised of theres a small mish mash if they're selling 3 different generations under the same model year.

carlos1

Chimp
Nov 14, 2011
Czech Republic
I borrowed a cheap digital caliper for it so ill double check later. Wouldnt be surprised of theres a small mish mash if they're selling 3 different generations under the same model year.
Hi, I checked their web and 2020 frame has 30 x 10 mm / 20 x 8 mm shock mount, so you are right.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I double checked and the dt mount is definately 20mm, not the 7/8" its supposed to be.
Serial no. Has XL on it so i might have a 4.3 front triangle? Tried measuring reach and looks a bit bigger than 455, but an inch here or there doesnt bother me.

Attachments

Last edited:

dgriff

Chimp
Jan 8, 2020
I double checked and the dt mount is definately 20mm, not the 7/8" its supposed to be.
Serial no. Has XL on it so i might have a 4.3 front triangle? Tried measuring reach and looks a bit bigger than 455, but an inch here or there doesnt bother me.
I double checked mine and made sure I didn't somehow get different mounting hardware but everything measured up 22.2mm. Mine is an XXL (also has XXL in the serial #) which is really an XL in the 4.3 and AFAIK they haven't sold an XXL 4.2 until this year so I'd think my front triangle would've been a 4.3 as well. I did a rough check on reach and I came up with ~480mm like the geo chart says. Maybe they had a few extra 4.2 downtube mounts laying around the factory too?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
gonna just update on my mixed up frame. I fucked up and should have let them know earlier because i just assumed the frame was the same and the linkage was the only difference between the two versions

if the mounting hardware on the downtube is 20mm wide then it's a 4.3 front triangle and a 267mm shock won't fit because that weld is positioned different.

Commencal sorted me out tho, support was really quick to get back to me.

Last edited:

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I got some ride time. My bike is now an xl v4.3 because of that mixup, lol

Still getting used to it but at 75kg average mid pack rider i can notice the rear end flex. Tracks really good in off camber and rooty stuff, but if youre heavy and ride a lot of park the 2021 might be a better option

Sick bike tho and when i was changing the links i found it really nice to work on too.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
You can actually notice the rear end flex??? What did you have before for comparison?
'08 cove shocker which is really small and really really heavy :D I ride mostly bmx nowadays as well so im used to stiff stuff!

it's honestly great for the tracks i ride and i cant wait to try it in the wet.