Quantcast

comments on Marzocchi 4X-World Cup fork ?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I am looking at the Marzocchi 4X-World Cup for my MOB.

Is AIR-only a bad idea ?

I want a fork that is stiff and sturdy enough for regular jumping, but that can also smooth out rugged rocky/rooty xc trails.

(Even though people hated on it, I got used to the Dirt Jam Pro on my old bike; that fork had spring in one fork leg and air in the other..... Any other forks do that?)

>

Marzocchi 4X-World Cup '08 T-A fork, Air 100mm

• weight: 4.0lb (1820g)
  • dropout: 20x110mm thru-axle
  • spring type: air
  • travel: 100mm
  • adjustability: rebound, compression
  • damping: RC3
  • color: arctic white
  • axle-crown: 490mm
  • brake mount: disc only (6" PM)

• Single-sided air spring system with air preload accessibility
  • RC3 cartridge design: externally adjustable rebound, position sensitive compression, and auto high/low-speed compression damping
  • Forged alloy, M-design crown with an 1-1/8" pre-pressed aluminum steerer tube (accepts 2006+ Marzocchi fender kit)
  • 32mm nickel coated, tapered alloy stanchions and 1-piece forged magnesium lower legs with 20x110mm bolt-on thru-axle dropouts
  • Disc brake only: 74mm/6" post-mount (max 8" rotor size)
  • Designed for 4-Cross (4X), Dirt-Jump (DJ), and Cross-Country (XC) applications

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
It's pretty much awesome, but you pay for that awesomeness. If you have the money, its pretty much the best of the DJ line-up.

The only thing mildly close to it is the Gold Label, but it lacks many features the 4X includes.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
I am looking at the Marzocchi 4X-World Cup for my MOB.

Is AIR-only a bad idea ?
My thoughts...

I've ridden:

Multiple versions of the Manitou forks
Many versions of the Marz stuff
A few Pikes (Argyle was too heavy)
the RST Space (I shortened the Axle to crown)
and a Modified 36 Talas

All forks were run on a Giant STP

Let's get this straight first- all worked exceptionally well.

I've been running the same wheels (WTB 32 Laser Disc DH for at least 3 years now.) they aren't perfectly straight or round- but I still run them with no worries. I only say this to show I'm not a complete hack- to see how I ride do a search on here or search around on Liquid-Dirt.

I won't lie- sometimes I toss my bike. and by toss it I mean 20 or 30 feet. I'm old- so I'll save my body over my bike when push comes to shove...

I run all my forks stiff. I don't want them to move unless I'm nose casing from 10 feet up.

Here are my conclusions after 4-5 years of abusing stuff.

Manitou- strongest steerer- second only to Fox. brake arches brake- steerers stay straight. I had to screw in the Bottom out resistance and pump up the SPV valve to make it stiff enough. It takes excessive bike tossing to seperate the steerer from the crown. Breaking the arch seems to be a "hit it at the right angle and you'll get'er done.

Pike- Strong steerer, quality feel- but could't get it to behave how I like (no movement.) I ended up blowing it out after 3 months and gave up- no failures other than oil and a nasty top out.

Marz- the old Dj's were too heavy, and I didn't like the axle to crown. I bent steerers and gave up after a few. I'm running a 4x with air right now and very happy so far. the whole thing seems stiffer and is similar in weight to my modded 36.

RST Space- I had to mod the heck out of it to get the axle to crown right and preload the spring to keep it from moving- rode it a while and felt ok- but lost confidence when I saw all those one break at supersessions (photos on the intraweb)

Fox 36- so they aren't readily available- but I took a Talas one and shortened it. It's the lightest- easiest to make feel how I like it, steerer was strong- I give it two thumbs up! After 1.5 years I started to seperate the crown from the steerer- but it's wasn't excessive or unsafe.

As for the "air" question. Air is the shiznit for a short travel fork!

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
The 2008 4x is a great fork. Easy to adjust the feel of the fork. From ultra stiff to soft with the touch of the preload/rebound knob and a little air. The 4X adjustments really makes a difference and makes it a fork with many faces. Really 1 of my best forks.

We ride them for Slopestyle, Dirtjump, Street and Park... Love it!