Quantcast

comments on Sony DSC-P200

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been looking to get a new camera for a while. I've weighed out all the options/features/gizmos and when it comes right down to it, the only things that matters to me are size, image quality at low ISO settings (any camera is going to show some noise at higer ISOs, and since I hate noise, I don't care if it's a little or a lot - I won't use the pics), and some form of control over shutter speed (either a shutter priority mode, or a shooting mode, like sports mode or whatever).

So, on paper, this camera looks like a good fit for me. I have a sony with teh Zeis lens now that I'm pretty happy with. 7mp is more than enough for me, and it's small/light enough to take with me most everywhere. I'd probably want to pick up a bigger memory stick, but in the mean time, I can use the ones I have now from my old camera.

Anyone have/use this camera? Any comments on it? If anyone is using it, I'd love to see some real world pics taken with it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, in addition to my PM comments, I just wanted to mention that I really liked the very accurate color reproduction on the nicer Sony cameras like this one. Nikon has a distinctive result from their Coolpix series - which can look very nice, but I prefer accuracy over a super punchy image, since punch can be added later.

The colors are very vivid, as is the case with a lot of the smaller digicams, but they are still pretty accurate and not oversaturated.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
Oh, in addition to my PM comments, I just wanted to mention that I really liked the very accurate color reproduction on the nicer Sony cameras like this one. Nikon has a distinctive result from their Coolpix series - which can look very nice, but I prefer accuracy over a super punchy image, since punch can be added later.

The colors are very vivid, as is the case with a lot of the smaller digicams, but they are still pretty accurate and not oversaturated.
I suspect that the color representation would be similar to that of my current cam, which would be a good thing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Only bad thing I've heard about Sony's lineup has been the proprietary memory sticks.

I have a Canon A620 and I love it. :p

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
From what I've read/seen/used, 200 would the be the highest I'd consider using. I never end up doing anything with noisy images.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it all depends on the sensor...some of the t-ball shots i posted were @ 400, and for the concert shots i've done, they have all been at 1600 (noise ninja helps clean up some artifacts).

that said, for a small point/shoot camera, i tend to agree w/ you. i should see how the G2 does @ ISO 400 (probably not very good is my guess)

J

JRB

It's cheap, but when the lights right, my Canon A320 has served me well.

I may end up swapping Ben for his G5, but still sorting details in my mind. I like Canon though.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
jacksonpt said:
BTW - the other camera in the running is the Cannon SD550
Bought my wife an S500 a while back and she is very pleased with it. The SD550 is a newer model and by all accounts is very good. Don't know much about the Sony. I've owned Kodak, Casio, Nikon, and Canon digital cameras and I prefer the Canons.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mike B. said:
i've had very good luck w/ canon products (three different cameras and a printer), and could be considered a fan boy now.
and

Mike B. said:
Bought my wife an S500 a while back and she is very pleased with it. The SD550 is a newer model and by all accounts is very good. Don't know much about the Sony. I've owned Kodak, Casio, Nikon, and Canon digital cameras and I prefer the Canons.
yea... I've never heard anything bad about cannon cameras, and it seems most people who have used them swear by them (or at least have no problem recommending them).

That said, I did some reading over on dpreview.com and the sony "rates" better in their tests (for whatever that is worth). The cannon has a far better continuous mode, which is cool for action shots, and has an addition ISO setting of 50 over the Sony, but the sample galleries, the sony pics just look better. Granted, there aren't any photos that give a good a versus b comparison, but in the end, the sony's pics just look better.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've been tinkering around with the idea of getting a new digital camera. my S45 still works fine, love it. but i want something smaller. i'm not really digging the G- and S- lines...they seem to be in this strange no-man's land - too big to carry 'everywhere' comfortably, to small to have any real ability to go beyond point and shoot...yeah, yeah, manual controls, blah blah.

i need to find me a cheap SD- that way i can start saving for a digi Rebel.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jacksonpt said:
That said, I did some reading over on dpreview.com and the sony "rates" better in their tests (for whatever that is worth). The cannon has a far better continuous mode, which is cool for action shots, and has an addition ISO setting of 50 over the Sony, but the sample galleries, the sony pics just look better. Granted, there aren't any photos that give a good a versus b comparison, but in the end, the sony's pics just look better.
If you are looking for higher usable ISO ratings, I think the top compact as far as that goes is the Fuji F10

dpreview said:
*Usable ISO 1600 setting (and pretty accurate ISO ratings too!)

It may not look it, but the FinePix F10 is something of a revolution, and is probably the first time a compact camera has really shown the potential offered by Super CCD for high resolution, high sensitivity and low noise. I cannot emphasize enough the value of usable high ISO settings in a compact camera - from reducing camera shake to more natural low light portraits (without flash) to extended flash range and all the other advantages DSLR users take for granted and most compact users - stuck to ISO 200 (or 400 at a push) can only dream of.
I think they make some newer models now with higher resolution CCDs and bigger lens if you don't really need a compact this small. Check dpreview.