Quantcast

Commute Thoughts

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Hey,
Trying to figure out whether or not this CAR commute makes sense and thought I'd solicit and help and thoughts of some monkeys:

South San Jose (near the south 85/101 junction) to Oakland (probably drive to Fremont, then BART it in, guessing 1.5 hours each way).

I used to do South San Jose to Concord every day and although it was manageable, it got really old really quickly.

I wouldn't be thinking so seriously about it but I have been out of work for almost 5 months now and it is driving me crazy. Civil engineering firms in my area are few and almost no one seems to be hiring. What do you guys think? Worth considering? I know I'd be setting myself up for some LONG drives but not sure if I can afford (literally) not to look into it very seriously.

Thanks

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, that ain't an easy commute.

I don't see thing easy unless you plan on motorcycling.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Thanks Sanjuro, that's the what I was thinking but I'm not sure if I'm aiming too high at this point. No motorcycle for me, I've scrubbed enough skin riding a bicycle to want to risk it at freeway speeds

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
Thanks for the tip. I tried finding a carpool when I was driving to Concord but it was tough to find someone with the same hours. I ended up finding a job in Pleasanton so the commute hasn't been so bad at all.