Quantcast

Commute thread for week of 27Aug07

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
QotW: Have you ever sustained an injury commuting to/from work?

(I know we've all gotten hurt riding, but this is specific to commuting :) )

I just fvcking got stung twice by a bee or something. Once in the fvcking armpit.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I took off from a stoplight, chain snapped and 7-8 teeth on my big ring plunged into my calf.

Since greasy puncture wounds are not good. I had to get extra drunk and clean the **** out of the holes with a kitchen scrub pad.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
ran into an extender leash once... stopped just before the little white dog when skipping along the trail with me... the lady was cleaning up poop and the dog had wandered across the trail... thats teh worst so far.... commuting today was fun there was a triathlete roadie riding and we drafted eachother for a while...

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
oh yeah... a car tboned another car and a bumper from the tboner hit me in the calf... left a big ass brusie but filled my pocket!!!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
QotW: Have you ever sustained an injury commuting to/from work?
A few times but I usually make my commute sort of an urban street ride. I've never gotten majorly hurt, more like bruised and humiliated.

1. Riding down a skinny ledge, I jumped off the end and punched a pine tree. I thought I had more room to cut left at the end but I there wasn't. I spent most of the day bleeding and picking pine tar out of my wounds. Coworkers still harass me. "Remember that time you ran into a tree on your way to work, that was so funny, ha ha ha..." I still have scars from that one.

2. I was riding a new bike I wasn't used to and went to pedal kick off a short ledge and looped out. I landed flat on my tail bone and couldn't sit right for a week.

3. Dropped off a ledge into a metal grate, front wheel caught and turned, result: handle bar to crotch. As if that wasn't enough I ripped pants from zipper to knee. I didn't notice at first. I kept riding, then felt a bit of a cool breeze on my parts. Turned around and went home. Wife was pissed because they were new pants.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I took off from a stoplight, chain snapped and 7-8 teeth on my big ring plunged into my calf.

Since greasy puncture wounds are not good. I had to get extra drunk and clean the **** out of the holes with a kitchen scrub pad.
You didn't go to the doctor cuz you're stubborn or the greasy punctures were deep, but not deep enough?

Wife was pissed because they were new pants.
Was she as concerned about your health? :D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
A couple.

Somehow caught my handlebar on something, went right to the ground the bar got me in the chest.

Cut through a parking lot (shortcut), got clotheslined by a rope that was strung just high enough to clear my bars. Tore my hands up and took a chunk out of the inside of my elbow.

Slid it out in the rain, went down pretty hard. Didn't think anything of it. Later at work, I went to clean it up and noticed what I thought was a rock wasn't coming out. Went home, used pliers and dug out a fairly good size sliver of glass.

I've done the chainring into calf like Stinky, on my old converted SS.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
1st day below 95F in a while, decided to ride the 11.6 miles in to school on the roadie. Still got really sweaty. Heading home in a couple hours, hope it doesnt heat up too much.

On a side note, anyone know where I can get a rebel flag cycling jersey. I figure Ill be safer out here in good ole Cookeville TN if I just play to the demographic. My malcom X jersey has nearly gotten me killed twice now.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I'm currently monitoring the radar, theres a huge storm cell about an horu west of me so I might have to stick around the office until it passes or risk riding home in the rain.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i have gotten clipped by a car once .. went down..almost gracefully... but wound up with some road rash. Of course the car was in really bad shape after i opened the door and bent it back to the front quarter-panel. in NYC its an adventure everyday

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i have gotten clipped by a car once .. went down..almost gracefully... but wound up with some road rash. Of course the car was in really bad shape after i opened the door and bent it back to the front quarter-panel. in NYC its an adventure everyday
you city commuters are nuts!

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
1 - I was stomping it hard up a hill on a bike trail in Victoria. At the top, you have to turn sharp, cross the road, and then turn sharp again to rejoin the trail. As I crossed the road at max speed, a van came through the stop sign. I glanced at him to make sure he wouldn't hit me, then when I turned back there was a jogger right in front of me. I quickly dabbed the brakes and changed line while going up the curb. Somehow my front wheel caught the curb edge and I got launched over the bars right into one of those big steel posts they put in trails to stop morons from driving their cars on them. I caught it on the side of my head and my shoulder and smoked into the pavement on my knees. I couldn't move and thought I had broken my neck or back, and had to lie there while the jogger called an ambulance. I got a ride to the hospital lashed to a spinal board while bleeding profusely from both knees. No broken bones, but I hobbled around for 2 weeks and my knee still aches.

2 - I was passing a car at full speed on the right in downtown Victoria when he suddenly, with no signal, turned into a parking spot he saw. I was thrown on to the edge of the sidewalk and broke a rib. Oh well, mostly my fault.

3 - Coming home along the same trail as in #1 on my roadie, some idiot on an MTB was drafting me and even buzzed my wheel a couple of times because he had his head down. A guy and girl rollerblading came around a corner. The girl was real wobbly, and her feet suddenly went out from under her and she did a body slam right in front of me. I hit the brakes, and the guy behind me hit me so hard his front wheel left a pile of rubber on my chainstay and burned my calf. I had to bunny-hop the girl and he rode over her, almost. It was carnage, lots of blood and roadrash. The MTB dude broke his helmet and I didn't even fall over, but my $500 Velomax wheel was toast.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'll add some more:

Trying stunts in the rain = going down.
Of course, getting hit by a pickup sucked - broken tib/fib.
Hit by snowbirds (AZ thing) - just knocked over.
Whole side of my leg covered in road rash when I washed out in a turn.

Good times - I miss commuting.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
So wow, I have been riding to school on a early 90's Miyata road bike
with 27 inch wheels.

Commute is just under 10 miles each way.

I love it. The only problem I am have is that the 10 dollar Forte (performance tire) gives way when I corner to fast.

Oh, wait there is more. The rear hub on this bike is shot. It's rough & has high rolling resistance.
Can I use an old mountain 26 inch hub?

The rear rim is also plagued by two flat spots, where can i get a 27 inch rim for cheap?

Thanks for your help

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He walked it off, Princess. As he should have. :monkey:
It's around 2am. You're in the Emergency Room. The doctor sticks a needle in your knee to draw a sample of a suspected infection. You don't remember it, but your wife says you yelled loud enough to hear it outside... and that's after having TWO doses of demerol (or something).

Fast forward 20 hours. Doctors are wheeling you into surgery. You're already partially sedated. He tells you that he's going to do all he can to save your leg.

WHAT THE FVCK?!?!

No one even hinted that the infection THEY gave you when they did ACL reconstruction was anywhere near that bad.

They sedate you again.

Then general anesthesia.

You wake up, check for your leg. It's still there!

You go looking for -SS- to use your saved leg to kick him in the nuts.