Quantcast

Commute Via Water

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Sweet! Where do you live? Drunk much?

I could probably do that if I had a sea kayak. I think the paddle would be around 2.5 miles from my house to work I'd guess. The tide has to be really high though to flood the mud flat behind my house or I don't have anywhere decent to put in.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
MancilG said:
I live in Maryland, its about 4miles one way but living on the bay the current helps.

Not drunk too much, just use it too give me a little go in the morning.

Where on the Bay? I'm in Annapolis.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sweet! I would have to go down a dangerous rapid and do some serious rock dodging to kayak to work, but if I get better it's doable. Right down the Deschutes River.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If you kayak to work on icy water, you're allowed a shot or two.

If you're driving in a heated car, that's another story.

Nice photo.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Cool pic for sure but what puzzles me is that sunset around these parts this time of year happens around 5pm and sunrise is around 7am.

From the US Naval Observatory...
Tuesday
3 January 2006 Eastern Standard Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:55 a.m.
Sunrise 7:25 a.m.
Sun transit 12:11 p.m.
Sunset 4:56 p.m.
End civil twilight 5:26 p.m.
The time/date tag on the pic doesn't make sense if that was taken yesterday.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
DamienC said:
Cool pic for sure but what puzzles me is that sunset around these parts this time of year happens around 5pm and sunrise is around 7am.

you watch way to much CSI

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
DamienC said:

for the love of god, you are assuming that my camera was configured correctly at some point. The year could be 1892 for all I know.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
MancilG said:
St. Marys County about an hour and a half south of you.

I'm looking for some fun trails up there maybe you can PM me some ideas.

If you ever want to meet a Rosaryville or Cedarville. Let me know. Should be about halfway between the two of us I think.

It's supposed to get cold again soon. If the trails freeze up we can ride.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MancilG said:
for the love of god, you are assuming that my camera was configured correctly at some point. The year could be 1892 for all I know.
lay off the morning hooch, and you'll probably figure out how to use the thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jeremy R said:
You could try it.
I betcha you could talk a redneck into pulling you in a kayak to work
with his lifted truck.:help:
A guy from the local car place gave me a ride home when I was getting my struts replaced the other day.

The guy had a Jeep with ~38 or 40" tires, and a 12" lift. I asked him how he liked it, and where he went offroad around here since I used to tear up my Tacoma in the woods all the time. He looked me for a minute and said, "Well... I don't really take it off road."

So I asked if he ever took it to mud pits. He said, "No... I just drive on the road with it."

Maybe I could get him to pull me. After all, towing something couldn't possibly make his gas milage much worse than it already is. :dead:

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
jdschall said:
If you ever want to meet a Rosaryville or Cedarville. Let me know. Should be about halfway between the two of us I think.

It's supposed to get cold again soon. If the trails freeze up we can ride.
Nice, I like Rosaryville. Nice single track. I'll let you know next time I head up there.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Awesome commute! :) I know plenty of people do it around here (thou not necessarily by kayak). I could commute by water, but the coast line here is rediculous. Waaay longer than driving.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Nice commute. My office was scheduled to relocate to some business park they are building on the MD side of the Potomac, south of the Wilson bridge. I was planning on parking at Belle Haven marina and paddling over each day. Now they're planning on moving to Huntsville, AL. That's too far to paddle. :dead:

What do you wear for cold weather paddling? I've hung my boat up for the season, but it sure is tempting to get it out when we have sunny days.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
when i was in high school, my best friend used to cross a river on a boat. he lived directly across from the school, but had to walk almost a mile down to the road where the bridge crossed. It worked really well, untill he dumped the boat and his books got all messed up...

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
oly said:
when i was in high school, my best friend used to cross a river on a boat. he lived directly across from the school, but had to walk almost a mile down to the road where the bridge crossed. It worked really well, untill he dumped the boat and his books got all messed up...
A guy I went to college with used to live on a tiny boat at the downtown marina. He would drive this ancient john boat w/ a little motor on it to class (UT is right on the water) and pull it up into one of the creeks and tie it up to a big sycamore.

On a side note, the office I work in and where I'm typing this from floats. Its kind of a strange feeling to be typing a report and have a barge go by shaking and swaying the office.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
d.e.f. said:
A guy I went to college with used to live on a tiny boat at the downtown marina. He would drive this ancient john boat w/ a little motor on it to class (UT is right on the water) and pull it up into one of the creeks and tie it up to a big sycamore.

On a side note, the office I work in and where I'm typing this from floats. Its kind of a strange feeling to be typing a report and have a barge go by shaking and swaying the office.

Awesome. I can just see him wading through all the nasty crap floating around in 3rd Creek to get to class. That water is nasty.

You don't work on one of the old TVA barges left over from the 1982Worlds Fair do you?

<-(former knoxvegan)

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
jdschall said:
Awesome. I can just see him wading through all the nasty crap floating around in 3rd Creek to get to class. That water is nasty.

You don't work on one of the old TVA barges left over from the 1982Worlds Fair do you?

<-(former knoxvegan)
We rent the upstairs office space at Volunteer Landing (right at the mouth of 1st creek)

I'm not a native to this area - actually Stafford, Va is home. I worked at a state park on the Potomac outside Quantico during the summers my first couple of years in college. Hell, I interned off the Ocoee too. Who would have guessed w/ my forestry degree I'd be working on the water.:think:

But all that crap floating in 3rd creek......thats what I do........clean all that sh!t up. Plus other stuff too. But if its trash in this river and surrounding creeks and watersheds, I know about it.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
jdschall said:
Yep. I think those are the old TVA barges. Do you feed the giant carp?
Its actually built on (for lack of the brand name) dock floats. There are about a billion of them under the marina store/twra office/our office, but it still rocks and sways under wind and boat wake. During the hurricane in '04 that flooded a lot of NC (and the dirty bird outside Asheville that took out part of I40), the whole marina shifted about 10ft down river and came pretty close to breaking free!

I don't feed those damn carp. There are enough people at Calhoon's to do that for me.