Quantcast

Commuter Cars....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I had a 1984 honda accord and I swear that thing got 50 mpg (i owned it to long ago to remember actual mpg). my dads 94 accord gets 36mpg.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
I think you need to read it again. He stresses safety to the point of not disclosing some of his techniques so as to not cause unsafe situations caused by inappropriate use.
So he does stuff that's so unsafe he won't even post it online? :busted:
Well, as long as he's saving another couple nickels a day...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
n8: you looked up mileage on the mini cooper or the cooper S? Big difference

I think narlus is spot on with the civic rec, or take that buick. Free > .*

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I think you need to read it again. He stresses safety to the point of not disclosing some of his techniques so as to not cause unsafe situations caused by inappropriate use. But even if you only did the safe techniques I bet anyone could easily beat EPA estimates. I have by simply driving the speed limit (Mazda6 EPA Highway=29mpg. My Max Observed Highway=38mpg.)
that guy spams the article by saying he won't disclose the "techniques" because of safety... so if you want to learn those other "techniques" you have to take lessons... and basically the article says he is "THE" teacher... cough up some cabbage and I will tell you how to drive 54 in a 55! :disgust1: I read it and what I got was him admitting that some of the practices ARE DANGEROUS!!!

this is kinda like this thread you started... where your original title of the thread was even flawed! YOU CAN'T SAVE 50-70 cents per gallon unless you have a coupon for 50-70 cents off... YOU can however get MORE MILES PER GALLON... you just cant get gas cheaper! logic and statements=flawed

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Nope - normal driving for me is 26 MPG - if I never exceed the speed limit I get in the low 30's, 31 with roof rack.

Its a 2007 Basic 5 speed manual.
maybe they made great advances...mine was a basic 5 spd, '00 vintage.

nah... i'd get a standard.. that way the wife cant drive it

:D
maybe your wife...we all didn't marry women who can't operate simple machinery.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Here is a more accurate image of the car. It's a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Of course it's GOLD not silver like the pic.

I spoke with my friend who owns the Toyota Dealership and they're running a 3yr lease on Camary's for $200/month with a buyout at the end of the lease so it's similar to owning one.

I'm just confused now.....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Here is a more accurate image of the car. It's a 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Of course it's GOLD not silver like the pic.

I spoke with my friend who owns the Toyota Dealership and they're running a 3yr lease on Camary's for $200/month with a buyout at the end of the lease so it's similar to owning one.

my mom had one of those as her commuter.. it's had a new engine installed at 180k.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh

Stosh...

that car comes complete with livers pots and a case of "the gout"!

I don't know that leasing is the best option!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
you need a walkie talkie, cheeesy suit with diagonal striped brown tie, a stash you been growing since you were ten, and some aviator sunglasses!

ala B-Boys...

then NO ONE WOULD FVCK WITH YOU!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Run the overall math, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was MUCH more expensive to do this than just to buy it outright. Also, Camry's are big, and gas mileage isn't that great...

My parents get a combined 21mpg out of their v6 Accord. :shocked:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
You cant be that far off from paying it off can you?
Seriously.......you pretty much made all those payments for nothing then if you sell it. My suggestion is to keep paying on it--you have a practically brand new vehicle that will take you anywhere(unless for some reason or another you chose 2WD), you have equity in it already, you have room for car seats and stuff, and you'll likely have less mechanical trouble out of it than the golden Chicken McNugget you're talking about driving. Gas costs everyone a lot of money these days, and the savings at the pump you think you'll be making will never be enough to justify getting rid of a perfectly good vehicle you already almost own. I mean, if you're looking at buying a $250,000 plus house, then 100 bucks a week in gas shouldn't be something that has you crying the blues. Reliable transportation gets you to that job to make that money, bro.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Run the overall math, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was MUCH more expensive to do this than just to buy it outright. Also, Camry's are big, and gas mileage isn't that great...

My parents get a combined 21mpg out of their v6 Accord. :shocked:
My folks have an '07 Camry and last I checked my dad was talking about 26 or 28mpg. Not great, but it's a damn nice car too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
3more years.
sell it. if you're not in a position to be driving something new* you shouldn't be driving something new.

* including the car payment, insurance, GAS, maintenance, opportunity cost because you're not able to put that money into equity on your house...

(you could always commute on a jackal, although it might be hard to pick up the wife 'n kid :D: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198412)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Actually more than a car I need one of these for mowing the 4 mow'able acres I'm buying.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A Corolla would be a better alternative for a commuter, cheaper and better mileage.
By far. The Camry is a very nice car as a family car, though. My folks had an '05 they were going ot give me when they bought the '07, but I didn't need another car.

My wife was sold on the Nissan Rouge until she and I sat down and talked about wants vs. needs. We have since both rethought our wants and have decided to really look at our needs and go from there.

I gave up the dream of the big redneck truck. As much as I hate to admit it, it was pure want. I am likely getting a 2wd Toyota for a utility truck and will stick to the bike/moto/bus for my commuting needs.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
wow a lot of people are suggesting some really heavy cars...I think car weight is a major factor in how commutable a car is...at least for me anyways...I wouldn't buy a commuter car that weighed over 1300kg...D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'd just not mow it. What the hell are you going to do with 4 acres of lawn?
Believe it or not we use all of it. We have family campouts and it's great for running the dogs. There is one section I choose not to mow last year. Then my neighbor suggested he would buy it so I may be down to 3 mow'able acres.

PS. I want a versatile tractor for snow clean-up landscapping etc, and Zero turns can pretty much only mow.