Quantcast

Commuter Cars....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok.... well the time has come. I am unfortunatly going to be trading in my xterra since I've been spending almost $100 a week in gas and the monthly payment is high.

I've been looking at a Nissan Versa, a Toyota Yaris or a Honda Fit anybody have a suggestion?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I test drove a FIT the other day. It's pretty nifty with an amazing amount of space for such a little thing. The ONLY reason we didn't but it then and there was the available trim levels. But for a commuter, I don't think you could go wrong.

gg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Something that can get out of its own way when the moment arises is the only criteria I would be worried about.

Can it get up and go when you, your wife and kid are in it and it is loaded with sh*t.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I didn't like the Yaris myself, but the Fit is interesting (but I also haven't driven one). The Nissan is the larger of the bunch, or at least it looks that way, almost the same class as the Mazda 3.

The Mazda 3 (5 door version) would be an option for more than just a commuter, though.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Scion, man.

I drove a tC a few years ago, and it was actually a fun car to drive. A little slower than I expected, but still fun.

If I picked up a commuter car, seeing as most of my driving is city miles, I'd totally pick up a cheap Prius. The tax breaks are a nice perk. For something cheaper, I'd go with a new xB Scion. But I've heard that the Honda Fit's are pretty nice.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Something that can get out of its own way when the moment arises is the only criteria I would be worried about.

Can it get up and go when you, your wife and kid are in it and it is loaded with sh*t.
well he said it was a commuter...i think they have some sort of soccer mom vehicle as another option.

go w/ a used civic...great mileage, proven reliability, cheap.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A Yaris will make you look like Pam from The Office, guys will always be asking you for a ride. A Civic will look less gay in the parking lot and still get great gas mileage. :)

Go for the Coupe -

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:stupid:

Stosh - you'll be amazed at how easy paying for gas is when you don't have a car payment.

I'd also recommend a used Corolla or even Tercel.

Ok maybe you're right. My dad has a 1996 one of these sitting in his driveway with like 20k on it I can have.

BTW it's GOLD colored.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I bought a Corrolla a year and half ago. avg. 36 mpg, easy insurance, 4 door plenty of room and will git when it needs to. Love that car. I drive 115 miles round trip per day and right now spend about 40 a week on gas. Haven't filled it up since we hit $3.20, though:huh:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I didn't like the Yaris myself, but the Fit is interesting (but I also haven't driven one). The Nissan is the larger of the bunch, or at least it looks that way, almost the same class as the Mazda 3.

The Mazda 3 (5 door version) would be an option for more than just a commuter, though.
If you're looking for fuel economy, then the 3 ain't your answer....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If that's a Buick Regal with the 3.8 V6 you'll get close to 30 on the highway. I drove a 93 for a few years & had no complaints. Free is Free :)
What-ever it is I know it has a V6.

Free if free, maybe if I drive it to enough sites and job meetings my company will finally get me a car.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What-ever it is I know it has a V6.

Free if free, maybe if I drive it to enough sites and job meetings my company will finally get me a car.
You can get that Buick for free?

What are you waiting for?

I'd start banking what you realistically *would have* spent on car payments... then you'll probably have enough saved by the time you need another car that you can continue the no-payment plan. :thumb:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
here's the funny thing. We've been shopping for a smaller car to replace my '95 subaru. Economy is pretty high on my list, but you don't want a sedan, or if you want a nice trim level than "econobox", and if you don't want a VW, there ain't a whole lot to choose from.

gg

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I have to say, when it's time for a new commuter car, I desperately want this...

135hp, under 2000 lbs, should be fun to drive and (I'm assuming) get great gas mileage. Otherwise I just hope that there's fun-to-drive, small hatchbacks with a 1.4 or 1.6l turbo around. Currently the Mini is about the only thing that fits the bill, but I can dream, can't I? :)

edit - the normal Mini is $18k, and gets 37 highway mpg, not bad.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I think for the time being ill take the gold car from my parents or buy a 2000'ish Civic or Corolla. I have to drop my daughter at daycare in the morning so saftey and reliability is important.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think for the time being ill take the gold car from my parents or buy a 2000'ish Civic or Corolla. I have to drop my daughter at daycare in the morning so saftey and reliability is important.

With a gold car pimpin' should also be important.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
The difference is that we drive the speed limit. Most people don't and then wonder why they don't get the advertised mileage. The hypermilers get amazing numbers.
However, when pushed to the extreme, even elementary techniques can become dangerous. Driving too slowly below the speed limit can cause other drivers to become more aggressive and perform unsafe maneuvers, and the technique of using one's brakes sparingly to conserve energy can lead to drivers rolling through stop signs. "When taken to an extreme, hypermiling can become a very selfish endeavor," Sundstrom says. "The bottom line is: Saving fuel and conserving energy are important, but so is safety -- and preventing crashes."
:disgust1:

fvcktards... risking safety to save money on gas! I read that article thinking what @ssholes some people are to be so self absorbed to only think of their own benefits while driving etc. That goes both ways... people that speed to get somewhere quick, and those that slow down and don't drive the "going rate of speed" to save money on gas! :disgust1:

you can call them hypermilers... I call them @ssholes!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I just checked the Mini Cooper's gas mileage... i am surprised at the 20 mpg city/30 mpg highway.. i would have thought it 10 mpg better..

Wife's Celica gets almost 40 on the freeway and 30ish around town.