Quantcast

Commuters: How to/hints?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have 4 pairs of bike shorts, and I can hang them up to air out at my office. I wear one pair, leave two there, and have one at home. I rotate them through out the week (I only ride in 3 days and its 3 miles each way) and since there is no humidity in Phoenix, they dry pretty good.

In addition to everyone's ideas, I'd add:
- A glock 29
- a folding knife
- $20 in my seat bag
- a multi-tool with flat screw driver
- a pocket full of ball bearings.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been commuting in Boston and San Francisco on average about a couple times a week for more than 20 years and I've never needed a weapon. In all that time I've only had a handful of potentially violent encounters and they were easily solved by a ground-breaking tactic I call "riding away".

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
But I'm a fat, dumb white guy who would rather solve things in the most Hollywood, John Woo-esque manner that I can.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Damn rights I am. I love the gun laws here.
But going further would constitute tread jacking, and I don't do that.

I also found when I had the longer commute in Seattle that it was nice to keep some spare parts at the office. And baby wipes. Big fan of baby wipes, kept my garbage from smelling like garbage.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I commute several times a week... feels good.

Our roads are bumpy so I use a tough wheel set with some widish touring tires on a steel race geometry frame with fender mounts... which are handy if it rains... I'll mount a fender in the back.

Try to find a road that is a straight shot with not much traffic. Otherwise plan out a neighborhood route, mine is about 5 miles of neighborhood, 5 miles of straight backroad, and 10 miles of dedicated bike trail.

Get a loud flashing tail light and a good headlight...
I have this: Bontrager: Flare 3 Taillight (Model #08922)
And this: MityCross 480 OSP

Keep extra socks in your locker just incase you forget to swap out clothes one week... the socks are really the only thing that go "bad" (at least in my case).

One trick so your jersey doesn't get super sweaty on hot days and you end up wearing a stank ass, half wet jersey on the ride back home is to wear one of those super wicking base layers under your jersey. I have a couple Specialized ones, they work really well.

And if your commuter bag is a messenger bag... toss it and get a good slimline backpack. You'll be much happier.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I've only skimmed the other responses but here are some thoughts from commuting throughout college and grad school:

Fenders are your friends

Totally agree about keeping an extra pair of socks with you. I also kept a pair of arm warmers and a thin rain shell in my commuting stuff... the arm warmers were really nice if it got chilly during the ride home (or even around campus since the Defeet ones aren't all shiny and just look like a long sleeve undershirt)

Keep your chain as clean as possible... grease stains are a pain.

Like it has been said: assume you are NOT seen and that people will NOT signal (that's how I got hit by a car the first time as the guy lined up straight and then made a right turn into me).

A reflective velcro band that doubles back through a loop (like the kind to keep your pants out of the chain) can come in super handy for lashing things.

A plastic shopping bag can also serve a ton of uses (wet/dirty clothes, parts), cover your seat if it is raining out or might rain, etc

Visibility is always good... drivers/people can be real idiots

Have fun

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
This will not apply to single-speeders, however, when I lived in Tacoma and would commute during snow, I found a bottle with rubbing alcohol would help clearing the snow off the chain/cogs/rings. Granted, if it was really bad snow, nothing would help, so I became a SS when SS wasn't in yet.

Just a thought..............

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
And if your commuter bag is a messenger bag... toss it and get a good slimline backpack. You'll be much happier.
So true. A good backpack is much friendlier for a commute. Messenger bags are good when you actually work as a messenger, when you have to sling the bag off and on your back several times in an hour. Tried commuting with one and ended having shoulder pain all the time. Even if it was a good confortable bag (cocotte)

SealLine Urban Backpack - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available these seem like good stuff, although not to many pockets to stuff your stuff.... No need to put a pack cover when it rains

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Crazy foggy here this morning...but my new Minewt 600 kicks a$$, so I didnt worry. Then I got to work and realized I had the sunglass lens insert in my glasses...so apparently commuting made me dumb(er)...

Last edited: