Quantcast

Commuting and stuff

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
So I just got back from Afghanistan, it was not a lot of fun, but I still have all my limbs and stuff.

However, driving in traffic really fvcks my sh!t up now, so I haven’t (read can't) drive anymore. I’ve been really sticking to my bike. I mean, while yes I'm more exposed, I'm also not tied down to 2 tons of aluminuim and glass.

While I was there, I kept my sanity by day dreaming about building a bike, well when I got back I built it. It came out beautiful.

So I built a couple more bikes, then I bought a bike trailer, and now I’m selling my car.
Needless to say, I ride my bike(s) everywhere, but it’s about to start snowing and the temp is dropping out here in Colorado.

Tl;Dr

I’ve been looking around for gloves, but it’s hard to find winter gloves in an XXL. I’m also kind of picky, I was hoping to find some thinly padded palm gloves that still keep my fingers warm. Have any of you seen anything like that?
Also, is it worth putting CX tires on my bike for the snow?

And here’s a pic of my latest creation. 64cm Bianchi Single speed.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
welcome home man.

Pearl Izumi and Garneau make XXL winter gloves. I now wear a pair of waterproof fleece lined generic gloves on cold rides, like $15.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wearing a liner glove has helped me on really cold days. Layers for you fingers just like the rest of the body.

Bike riding is good for the soul.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You aren't going to find a really thinned palm gloce for winter. You will especially want a cold weather glove for winter. Giro makes the Proof and 100 Proof for truly cold weather. I have the Proof and have been able to do long rides mid-winter with them. You'll want wind & water proof leggings, arm warmers, jacket, head cap, toe caps, and mulitple under layers.

As the weather gets worse, people's windows tend to dirtier and make you less visible. Make sure you have neon and reflective gear. As for the bike, make sure that you have proper head and tail lights. I'd also suggest fenders for keeping the spray down. Any moisture on skin will really suck once the wind kicks in. Lastly, look into panniers. You can get good waterproof ones that are easier to travel with than a trailer and stay drier than a backpack.

These are just my suggestions as an early morning (read still dark) commuter. While I mostly drive, these are things that I have some discovered through trial and error.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i would highly, HIGHLY recommend the lake mxz303 shoes if you will be riding clipless during the winter months. yes, they are expensive. having purchased a pair last winter, i can tell you they are worth every cent.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
glad you survived afghanistan in tact.

i forgot which monkey lost some digits battling a garage door.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yeah, welcome back RR.

Last winter I was looking for a similar pair of gloves as well. I want some that have a standard palm like a pair of fox digits or sidewinders, but the rest made of warmer materials. I found a pair online but wound up not buying them. If I come across them again, I'll post a link. They may have been by Dakine, but I can't remember.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
These, although not made for cycling work well for me. Palm and front side of the fingers are a synthetic micro-fiber leather and the rest neoprene. Good in the wet but not sure how well they would work too far below freezing.

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Two slightly unusual glove options.

1. Firm Grip work gloves. You can get them for ten dollars at home depot. They're fairly thin and won't kill your dexterity. They aren't particularly warm and aren't waterproof, so there are limitations, but I like them. I know these are available in XXL.

2. Cross country ski gloves. Again, pretty thin. I wear them most of the time for regular skiing because my hands don't get overheated, sweat, and then freeze like they do in most other gloves. Not sure about XXL, but I imagine they're out there.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Welcome back Meathead...glad you are gtg.

I second the XC ski gloves. I wore them through many winters of moderate commuting in Alaska, Colorado and Washington. Them and trigger finger mittens when it got real nasty. Spring ski gloves with a liner is what I use now and I commute 3-4 days a week in winter here in Germany. You dont need to throw a pile of $$ at gloves imho, but my hands and feet stay pretty warm when I am riding...try to get something with a terrycloth snot wiper. Pretty handy...

64 cm frame and XXL mitts? How big are you anyway?