Quantcast

commuting in the rain

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Today on my way home from work I got caught in a downpour. Do you commuters ride in the rain or drive your cars in? Do you wear rain gear or just bring dry clothes to change into? Anybody wear glasses, how do you keep them dry?

I wasn't bothered because i was going home, it was a short trip and the rain felt good. However, I think if I had been stuck in it too much longer everything in my bag would have been soaked. My shoes were full of water. :rolleyes:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
When I commuted to school, I wore cycling clothes and showered when I got there. Put all my books and stuff in double plastic. Never had a problem.

Main problem with rain gear is that is doesn't breathe so I get just about as wet with it as without it especially in the warmer ten months.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Wumpus said:
Main problem with rain gear is that is doesn't breathe so I get just about as wet with it as without it especially in the warmer ten months.

Yeah, It was cool enough today for me to wear my rain jacket, but the other day I wore it when it was warm out and I was soaked from sweat when I got to work. I just as soon not wear it.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I commute every day, rain or shine (I don't have a car). I have a decent set of breathable pants/jacket. The pants are super waterproof but hot while the jacket gets a little seepage in a heavy downpour but breathes better. It is a tough call which way you want to go on the waterproof v. breathable, although it may not matter since you get wet either way (sweat v. rain). Glasses just get wet, but a visor on the helmet helps. I use a big Timbuktu for carrying stuff and it has never leaked in the years I have had it. Hope that helps.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I use a dana design bag but i don't think that its waterproof like my timbuktu. i may start carrying it on rainy days. I like the way my non weather proof bag fits better.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I ride in the rain (and even in the snow a few times). I have a spare pair of shorts in my desk here and had a pair of pants (no shorts allowed) at my old job. That way if the "butt stripe" was too bad, I could just change out.

We have showers here, but I don't ride hard or far enough to require a shower at work.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
If there are chances of rain I still ride in.. at times i get caught in a downpour coming or going to work. I invested in a cool REI breathable/waterproof jacket, the hood sticks well over the helmet keeping my face mostly dry.. I do wear glasses and they do get a little wet. I will also wear goretex "snow "pants in cooler weather. during the summer i just wear shorts and change at work

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
laura said:
Yeah, It was cool enough today for me to wear my rain jacket, but the other day I wore it when it was warm out and I was soaked from sweat when I got to work. I just as soon not wear it.
If you're willing to spend a little $$$ there are definitely light waterproof jackets out there that breathe really well. I got it for warm winter days but I've used my Mountain Hardwear Epic jacket several times in the rain on warm days. With the pit zips open I hardly knew I had a jacket on, and I was dry at the end of the ride.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I ride in rain, sun, or snow. I wear waterproof pants and a waterproof jacket. I wear clear lense glasses and just ignore the drip and shake my head to get the water off the lense every once in awhile. Oh, and I have shoe covers to keep my feet dry. :)

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Yeah, I did the commute everyday for about a year and a half. I wore a jacket by Sugoi and some rain pants from REI and the little booties too. The trapped sweat was lame but not as wet as some of those downpours. Especially when you go 20 miles each way. Fenders help too. I would always pack a full set of clothes with my lunch and tools. I quit because the preparation was getting to be a drag. Laundry needed to be ready. A good breakfast was always necessary. Packing a lunch and clothes. Then, when you get home you have to cook dinner...blah blah blah. Can you say burnt out?

Although I must say the sunrises over the lake were always a great way to start the morning.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
This front fender is nice because the fenders clip on and off super easy. You can buy two and keep a set of fenders at your work and at home so you can use them as the weather dictates...

http://www.outdoorsportz.com/BGFNOOOO1002.html

i break them mt. biking on trails, but i always break fenders mt. biking on trails...

Also...

http://www.burley.com/

Quality raingear and bikey products. Spendy, but this is an instance where it pays to fork over the cash and get some goodies that will last you for years....

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Skookum said:
This front fender is nice because the fenders clip on and off super easy. You can buy two and keep a set of fenders at your work and at home so you can use them as the weather dictates...

http://www.outdoorsportz.com/BGFNOOOO1002.html

i break them mt. biking on trails, but i always break fenders mt. biking on trails...

Also...

http://www.burley.com/

Quality raingear and bikey products. Spendy, but this is an instance where it pays to fork over the cash and get some goodies that will last you for years....
I have absolutely no extra cash to buy any gear right now. (I'm commuting because I can't afford gas. the joys of being a student.) I would love some fenders, but it just doesn't rain enough here to justify all over rain gear right now. I'll see if I stick with it. If I really do, then when it starts getting chilly this fall I'll look into it further. Thanks for the links, I'll keep them in mind.

I never used rain gear when I commuted in Cambridge, just rode every day, rain, snow, or sun, got wet when it rained. Wore a cheap back pack with a plastic bag in it to keep books and other stuff dry. A change of clothes stashed at the destination is a nice idea.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I know my younger brother does regardless. Snow or rain, it doesn't matter. He is more worried about the sh!tty drivers in Boulder than the weather.