Quantcast

Commuting to work by bicycle as a metaphor for life...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
This was just a little something I wrote this morning after my daily commute, so I thought I'd share with all ya'll:

There are so many people on the road that are just driving, and talking on their cell phones, and pulling out blindly into traffic and not paying attention to what it is that's going on around them. For the bicycle commuter, this is not only extremely frustrating, but potentially dangerous. It requires that as I pedal swiftly through the morning traffic that I am completely conscious of my surroundings, and that I am fully aware of every object, moving and stationary, along my route. This morning, during my 11-ish mile commute to work, no less than 4 cars pulled out in front of me; heads turned blindly to my presence, jabbering away, in a hurry, or simply not paying attention.

At the last turn before I arrived at work, a man in a dual-axle, crew-cab pickup was stopped to my right, and thinking I was going straight he smiled and waved me through to let me know he wouldn't pull out and hit me. I smiled back, pointed in the direction I needed to turn, and waved as he drove off. My mood immediately elevated, my frustration with the rest of the drivers on the commute forgotten, I arrived at work in good spirits.

It only takes one person to make an effort, if I could thank that guy personally I would.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yea,
It's definetly cool to see people who respect cyclists. Hell, maybe he would have rather been on two wheels. People who are nice in general are such a departure from everyday society, where people just mill along and care only for themselves. It's so much easier to be nice, ya know?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
1) Years ago in the mid 1980s when I was in going to UC@D a bicycle was my only form of transportation. In Denver I never had that much trouble with motorists and generally rode in traffic, drivers were pretty courteous downtown. The suburbs were another story though... not used to seeing people on bikes I guess.

2) Around where I live now its common for dumb **** drivers to make a point of passing you only to turn right at the next block. I can't count the times I've had to lock up the brakes in order to avoid smashing into the offending vehicle.

3) Simple courtesy makes the world a better place for all of us. :dancing:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
that's cool you can get the positive vibe rollin on. :)
we all do what we can, and if you're part of that group i think it's more liberating, than just givin up.
Traffic is a state of mind.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Full Trucker said:
<snip>that I am completely conscious of my surroundings, and that I am fully aware of every object, moving and stationary, along my route.

Everyone should strive to be like this, whether they be in a car, on a bike, etc. :thumb:

This morning, during my 11-ish mile commute to work, no less than 4 cars pulled out in front of me; heads turned blindly to my presence, jabbering away, in a hurry, or simply not paying attention.
Be really, really careful - even when drivers are paying attention it is easy to miss a cyclist. I've done it before with motorcycles. Check left, check right - nothing. Check left again and there's a motorcycle...... it's horribly easy to do.

Good post, FT.

-S.S.-