Quantcast

Commuting

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Alright, I am in need of some brilliant ideas and sharing of some experiences here. I want to start riding a bike to my new job. my planned route will be a hair under 4 miles. There is only one significant hill. I'm not crazy about the idea of a straight up road bike, and I think it would be overkill for 4 miles. I have been thinking about a single speed road-ish bike, or a 24 (or even 26) inch bmx cruiser.

I want something that will be fun but functional aka. more efficient than riding my 20" that distance, but have more capacity for hops and manuals than a road bike. Also, I want a very simple set up, avoiding unnecessary gears, deraileurs, brakes, etc..

I am itching to get a 24/26 inch cruiser, but am a little concerned that it just won't be that great of a commuter and I shouldn't be looking for a do-it-all bike, but simply a point-a-to-b bike. I plan to make a decision by the 15th or so. So lay it on me, e-speculate away.

oh yeah, the front runner right now:

http://www.danscomp.com/107085.php?cat=BIKES

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
the way i see it is you could go a few different ways with this. if you want something that is seriously like an efficient BMX bike in this case then go with the sledgehammer. that is probably what i would do. but, you could also get into fixie/SS riding which is fun as he!! as well.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
I considered that (fixie, ss-road) but it would have to be a sturdy build, because there are a few spots where there is some rought stuff I couldn't avoid (train tracks, cobble stone). Which is entirely possible. But am I correct in thinking that there will be no curb hopping with that kind of setup?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Why not just build up a 26" hardtail DJ rig? Keep it geared instead of SS for the commuting, or go SS with a higher ratio. Put some super low resistance tires on it like the Halo Twin Rails and you should be set. Just put the seat up for the commute and slam it for the shredding.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've been riding a 24" cruiser back and forth to work a couple of times a week since early this spring. (only 4 miles round trip) I imagine I could do 4 miles one way but I think it would hurt for a while until I got used to it. When I started, it took a few weeks for my legs not to be in screaming agony from standing up all the time but now it's a piece of cake. It certainly has helped me from a fitness point of view.

Before I got the 24" I rode a geared DJ bike with the seat way up (basically cru's suggestion) and was just plain lazy with the couple little climbs I have to do and just down shifted and spun. That's no longer an option with the 24". Now that I'm not tired, I can have a lot more fun enjoying the landscape, (i.e. curbs, planters, sidewalks, etc.)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i built up a sturdy 26" SS commuter bike a few years back. steel frame with bullhorn bars and 1" slicks. i thought it was fun until i got my cyclocross bike. those 700c wheels make a huge difference when hammering on pavement. curb hopping, gravel, train tracks, my cx bike eats 'em all up. i (retardedly) even did an xc race with it last week.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I have a P.3 that works well for DJ/Trail. You can get the seat high enough to pedal more efficently. Go test ride one.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I saw a scenester get owned by a car today because he couldn't stop on his kewl brakeless fixie.

Entertainment +++

Might I suggest the Redline Conquest? Granted, I did just crack mine...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
i personally rock the Kona PHD with a mid length stem and a 2" riser bar and it feels great. 700c wheels for the roll and the 2" rise for the occasional hop. It'll cost you a few bucks but it's worth it if you're seriously into commuting on a consistent basis.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
well those SF videos of fixie riders was pretty cool. And I don't doubt that that style of bike is fun as hell. But I must admit that I am a bit aprehensive about just going that route without any experience. I am a pretty big fan of freewheel and a break. But I can't knock it without trying it, but I don't think I'll buy it before I try it either.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
my preference is a fixie or a cyclocross bike with some semi slick cross tires on there.

get a redline 'cross bike and drop the single front chainring and a aluminum 'cross bashguard and stuff and go bomb through traffic like a lunatic

either way, you have to wear knickers.