Quantcast

comp 16 rotation direction

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ok, so my bike shop has been trying to lure me away from Maxxis to Michelin. So they've hooked me up with a trial set of Comp 16s. I've heard from other Michy riders conflicting reports regarding whether to follow the indicated rotation direction on the tyres or to run them backwards. So which is it? I'm running the tyres on the rear wheel for starters.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
If you look at the tread it is obvious that running it in the reverse direction of what's indicated on the tire will not only roll faster but also brake better since the ramps are facing forward and the flat edges are facing backwards. I have always run the comp 16 "backward", same goes for the comp 24.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
sweet, thanks guys. I got impatient and fitted the tyre that way because it looked more suitable. I was hoping no-one would suggest otherwise after I spent 20 minutes ****ing around with tyre levers.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Always work the tire down into the deepest part of your rim on the side you start from. Also work the tire on from opposite the valve stem and finish at the valve stem. It prevents pinch flats better. Set the wheel in front of you on the ground and push the bead into the center of the rima nd pull toward you as you do it. It gives you ALOT more room to work with when putting the tire on.

After you've worked the tighter part of the bead some onto the rim go back to the start side of the tire and push the bead down into the center of the rim and work your way around toward the bead pusing the bead into the center of the rim back to the valve stem.

Once you've worked a little more bead onto the rim, push the bead down into the center again.

Steve White at Michelin can put a DH Mud on a Rhyno Lite using nothing but two thin, flimsy plastic tire levers doing this!

People get impatient and try to take hunks of bead at a time, but working an inch or two at a time is actually way quicker, more efficient and goes on pretty easy. :thumb:

Oh, and when putting on a Comp 16 or Comp24 tire, the sharp edge of the center knob should be facing you when looking down at the tire from either on or behind the bike! Hope that helps!!!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Bizutch said:
People get impatient and try to take hunks of bead at a time, but working an inch or two at a time is actually way quicker, more efficient and goes on pretty easy.
:stupid:

toodles said:
sweet, thanks guys. I got impatient and fitted the tyre that way because it looked more suitable. I was hoping no-one would suggest otherwise after I spent 20 minutes ****ing around with tyre levers.
Park metel tire levers are your friend and can save a bunch of time. :)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
toodles said:
Ok, so my bike shop has been trying to lure me away from Maxxis to Michelin. So they've hooked me up with a trial set of Comp 16s. I've heard from other Michy riders conflicting reports regarding whether to follow the indicated rotation direction on the tyres or to run them backwards. So which is it? I'm running the tyres on the rear wheel for starters.
You will find that Maxxis has a lot of different soft to harder compounds to have to keep up with. That sucks. Michelin has one compound that works the best for each tire they make. That is why most Michelin tires have much better traction than Maxxis tires. Plus if you run the right air pressure in the tires you will find that the traction is better rotation resistance. Tires that Michelin have that I would play around with are the Comp 24's and 16's. They are made in both 2.2 and 2.5 sizes. You will find that you really don't need a tire bigger than a 2.5, unless you are racing somewhere like Vermont that you have high speeds and lots of rocks. Then you may want to run a Comp 32 2.8 up front. For the way you want to run the rotation of the tire is just up to you and your riding style. One way for less rolling resistance and the other for better braking.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ok thanks for the tips guys. I was putting the 2.2 Comp 16 on to a brand spankin' new 521 rim so I was a bit hesitant to break out the Park metal tyre lever I have. I used two plastic levers that kept flexing and popping off so I'll have to get some burlier ones.

I've noticed the sizing is completely different to the way Maxxis tyres are sized (my 2.2" Michy is juuuust smaller than a Maxxis 2.5"). How big is a 2.5" Comp 16? Is it bigger than a Maxxis 2.7"

Cant Climb said:
.....find a new bikeshop......
Yeah... why would I stay with one that gives me free tyres to try. They don't mind me sticking with Maxxis (they still sell those), just trying to get some interest in the Michelins because they've come down in price a bit and might start being competitive against Maxxis again.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I ran a comp 16 the right way for a while and it felt kinda squirmy.
Turned it "backwards" and it felt great. Doesn't hook up as good on loose climbs, but thats not what I buy dh tires for.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Run em' backwards and you get paddles for braking.

If you switch tires a lot don't worry, they get easier the more you put them on and take them off. I do both without tire levers now but after mounting a new set of tires my finger joints usually feel arthritic.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
FCLinder said:
You will find that Maxxis has a lot of different soft to harder compounds to have to keep up with. That sucks.
:stupid: Yea i really hate a wide variety of treads and compounds in a tire company

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Warm the tires up before you put them on. Leave them in the house overnight before you put them on the rim. I put mine by the fireplace for 1/2 hour. They get all warm and squishy and are a lot easier to get on the rim.