Quantcast

Compact Cranks?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
what's not to get?

you get a double -- which is supposed to shift smoother than a triple -- but an easier gear ratio. 34T small ring instead of a 39t, which is 13-14% "easier".

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Mhmm... Thought there was more to it than that. Basically, its for people who NEED a triple but WANT a double. gotcha.

J

JRB

You actually get a better top end gear too I think. I plan to get some FSA Energys next month. They should be nice in the mountains since I don't have any to train in. Rode mountain gears the last ride I did in the hills and hated the gaps. I have a friend that hurt his knee last year and he swears by them. Here's the deal about cranks. If you want to ride a triple, ride one. If not, don't. Roadies spend way too much time worrying about other peeps cranksets. If I wouldn't have to buy derailleurs and such, I would buy the carbon compacts at CC for $130. I would like to have a 42 tooth ring. That's just my thought.

J

JRB

LordOpie said:
what size cassette do you have? That's another cheap option for changing up gears.

12-25 now. I am thinking about a 12-27 for my next mountain ride too, but that won't give me a big jump. I just think I may need one. I hate to space the cassette too much though, since I tend to notice the bottom end gaps. I may just be weird. :think:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
J

JRB

I could buy these on the cheap and then get another rear derailleur later. These are on the cheap. I have a 105 triple front der I think. I would just need a bb and a rear der once I bought the cranks. That wouldn't be a ton more than the compact cranks. I could even run a 12-23 or maybe tighter around here. :think:

J

JRB

If I am buying them for spinning and easier mountain stuff, would I be better to buy 172.5s instead of 175s??? I can get Ritchey pros for $117.50.