Quantcast

Compact trail camera recommendations?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I bought my Z1080 because it had a larger sensor than most other compacts which results in better quality shots (pixel density is about the same as the Panasonic you mentioned). It does have image stabilization, great battery life, and shoots decent mpeg4 video (high quality at lower file sizes). It has lots of presets, I think you can set your own and the menus only usually take a few presses for common things like flash, focus, etc. Looks like you can get one from 6ave for $182 with free shipping according to amazon.

The latest Casio has more high speed video options but the sensor is not as big as the z1080:

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/03/04/casio-ex-fc100-hands-on-review/

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I bought my Z1080 because it had a larger sensor than most other compacts which results in better quality shots (pixel density is about the same as the Panasonic you mentioned). It does have image stabilization, great battery life, and shoots decent mpeg4 video (high quality at lower file sizes).
Awesome, thanks for the quick response.

That FC100 looks to be exactly what I was hoping for, but I unfortunately not out yet... well, I've got until the end of the month to find a replacement so hopefully it will ship before then.

If not, the Z1080 looks like a great option and definitely much cheaper. Didn't realize it had a 1/1.75" CCD. f2.6 is decent, though not even close to the f2.0 of the LX3, but for the price difference it's probably good enough.

So in your opinion the Leica and Zeiss lenses from Pana and Sony aren't worthwhile?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
On larger, more expensive cameras sure, but not compact. Its marketing on the consumer level cameras IMHO.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It really depends on the compact. The Sony DSC-F717 had a lens worthy of the Zeiss branding; it was simply a great piece of glass. Same with the DSC-R1. However, they throw Zeiss on bunches of their cameras simply because they are Zeiss designs and the actual quality doesn't always follow.

The lenses worthy of the branding are, unfortunately, the exception rather than the rule.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yes I said on larger more expensive cameras, we are talking trail cameras here you keep in your Camelbak or attached to your shoulder strap. Compacts have very small lens and its not likely its more than branding in the majority.