Quantcast

Compaq Presario 725US memory Upgrade... 384mb exist?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
So I hardly ever use my laptop, really only gets used when I am away from my apartment and need a computer which isnt too often. Although I have been goin nuts cuz of how slow it is compared to my desktop, I don't have the $$ to buy a new one to replace it and ultimately it does just fine but I am looking to upgrade the memory.

From what I have been able to figure out its got 256mb Sdram installed and is expandable to only 384mb. From what I can tell there is only one memory slot, the one that is used by the 256 right now. So no way to just expand by adding a 128, so... question is does a 384mb stick exist? I haven't been able to find one, anyone know what I can do? or am I stuck?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
According to the memory configurator on the Compaq/HP site you have "128MB non-removable" Installed. So if the one in your expansion slot is a 128, replace it with a 256. If what you see in you expansion slot is a 256, I think you are maxed out.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by brock
According to the memory configurator on the Compaq/HP site you have "128MB non-removable" Installed. So if the one in your expansion slot is a 128, replace it with a 256. If what you see in you expansion slot is a 256, I think you are maxed out.
Compaq's site has been wrong for ages and they even admit it on the phone. The installed is 256, I just checked the hardware profiles to verify. All of the spec's minus the website say its expandable to 384mb.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by mplutodh1
Compaq's site has been wrong for ages and they even admit it on the phone. The installed is 256, I just checked the hardware profiles to verify. All of the spec's minus the website say its expandable to 384mb.

Weird. So the part about it having 128 non removable is wrong on the site?

OH well, sorry I could not be of more help.

I have not seen a 384 stick. But I have not been looking either.....