Quantcast

Compatibility check (buying a new frame)

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I have been lurking around here for some time but just decided to join!

Anyway right now I have a pretty much stock 07 P2 aluminum. I am very displeased with the stiffness and geo of frame and I have decided I have enough $$$ to buy a new 2008 NS Suburban 26" frame.

As far as I know they both have 1 1/8 headsets and euro bbs. I am wondering if there is anything that would need more spacers or whatnot(such as steer tube and bb) The only thing I think I need to get new would be a seat post, but I just want to check and see if everything else works out.

Thanks in advance!

spec-rider88

Monkey
Oct 22, 2006
St.Leonard, MD
Everything should match up pretty seamlessly. Even if the b.b. shell widths are different, adding or taking away spacers will do the trick. Although, you may want to check to see if your chain-guide is a BB or ISCG mount because the Suburban does not have any bosses for ISCG. I can't imagine that you will run into any steer-tube length issues (at the worst, you may have to add a spacer or two). Other than that, the swap should work out just fine.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Everything should match up pretty seamlessly. Even if the b.b. shell widths are different, adding or taking away spacers will do the trick. Although, you may want to check to see if your chain-guide is a BB or ISCG mount because the Suburban does not have any bosses for ISCG. I can't imagine that you will run into any steer-tube length issues (at the worst, you may have to add a spacer or two). Other than that, the swap should work out just fine.
Thanks for the reply; I am running single speed so I shouldn't have to worry about the ISCG mount right? I do have them, but they are not in use. Unless I am thinking of something else...?

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
The 2008 Suburban has a intergrated headset and uses a BMX Mid BB, so these things will need to be replaced :twitch:

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
from ns's website
Weight: 2.45kg w/o pivots, 2.55kg with pivots
Seat tube 335mm (13")
Top Tube (physical) 55cm (21.75")
Chain stay 380mm-400mm (14.9"-15.7")
Head angle: 70.5 degrees with 4" travel fork
Head tube lenght: 105mm
BB shell: 68mm / Seatpost 27.2mm
Largest tire: 2.4x26"
Includes axle positioners and derailleur hanger
the pic on ns's website of the '08 suburban clearly shows a traditional (non internal) headset, so that could stay.

(hey, that color scheme looks familiar)
the only thing that i can see that needs to be changed is the seat post (it looks like the seat post clamp on the 08 is integrated)
take a look at the bti specs too, it supports this

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
The 2008 Suburban has a intergrated headset and uses a BMX Mid BB, so these things will need to be replaced :twitch:
Dude what are you talking about? The 2008 has euro bbs and 1 1/8 headset. The only intergrated thing it has is a seatclamp.

Thanks for the help though cully, But I don't think NS bikes website is up to date on their 2008 bikes, so that would be 2007 models specs.

Although this is 2008 I think,

I am still wondering about x-up and bar spin clearence, any ideas?:confused:

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
should clear for bar spins and x-ups 22.75" tt and not to steep head tube angle

so it shouldn't be a problem