Quantcast

Compensating for going too fast over jumps/drops?

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
This isn't a huge problem for most places I ride but me and brother built a small trail behind our house just over a year ago. It has a couple doubles and a decent drop.

Thing is we built it while we were just starting out, and I was still on my reign. Now that I'm on a more DH oriented bike and my skill/confidence has increased I'm way overjumping the doubles and if I hit the drop at speed it's impossible to make the turn and it sends you straight into some small trees/over a hill. (found that out today the hard way).

The doubles aren't a huge deal since I can easily just soak up the lip, but the drop I can't figure out. I've tried pre-jumping about halfway up the board, but I can't time it right unless I'm going slower.

What kind of technique am I lacking here? I can get some pictures if it's necessary.

thanks.

Kurbow

Chimp
Aug 8, 2010
If you don't want to slow down for the drop then try throwing a small whip in the air. Have you thought about building some brems?

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Yeah I usually try to whip the back out a little to help set up for the turn.

I would build a berm to land into, but I'm the only one who rides it so no help with trail work, I prefer to not have to build things to make up for my lack of skill... if I were any where else I wouldn't be able to work on the trail to my preference so I feel like there's something I'm doing wrong, and also it's location is right where water runs over the trail so a berm would hold a lot water.

I just threw a 10" log into the trail and piled some rocks up to it to slow the straight away before the drop down, seems to have helped until I get used to it being there.