Quantcast

Competing in my first (mini) triathlon, could use some tips.

baldingboy

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
Hey everyone,

I'm a college student and I usually only ride recreationally. I have a pretty strong base of endurance and strength, but recently my girlfriend challenged me by saying that I was not in good enough shape to participate in and finish a triathlon. (Not a full-length traditional triathlon, the distances are cut significantly.) I admit, I'm probably not quite there right now.

If I win the bet, she has agreed to buy me a new bike. But I need some serious help, as the triathlon is coming up in October and I am not in the physical condition I need to be.

What have you found to be best for endurance training when only having time to train in short intervals? My cardio needs some work. I've recently backed/pre-ordered a product called Elevation Training Mask that I heard MMA fighters use to simulate high-altitude training; version 2.0 is being launched on Fundable (http://www.fundable.com/training-mask) and says it can reduce workouts from 60 minutes down to 20 minutes, which would be ideal because of my busy schedule. Have you used any similar products? Do you have any other tools/tips?

Thanks!

Last edited:

baldingboy

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
Hi RUFUS,

I appreciate your compliment, backhanded though it is. This is not spam, I am just trying to send some feelers out before I spend any money on such a product. Do you have any input?

JD Risk

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Instead of buying that silly mask, go to your local mini mart, buy a can of skoal, throw in a lipper and run some sprints. If you can finish 10 sprints w/o puking you'll be set. I also recommend smoking while running. It simulates high-altitude training quite well. You'll be in shape in no time.

splat

Nam I am
well if you want to go the cheap route , you can just get a Neoprene Snow Mask. I got one for winter commuting , and there was no way I could pull all the air I needed going up a big hill through those little holes.
also that mask you have the link too, looks like it will be very warm to wear.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's the dumbest product I've ever seen.

A) It's already available, see "Powerlung" http://www.powerlung.com/region/us/

I know people use it and like it, but I can't understand the usefulness as it's only going to train your diaphragm and chest muscles to move in and out stronger. I don't really know anybody who has a weak diaphragm, just weak lungs.

B) It's oxygen deprivation that actually causes "an increased level of fitness", not breathing resistance.

...but it has debatably no effect on top level athletes, as the effects wear off in a matter of days. So what it's going to do for your fat self is probably nothing, unless you're training in so cal for a race in denver.

MMA amateurs will buy anything with an angel wing or gun on it, I wouldn't trust them with training tips. Nothing will reduce a workout's time besides your weakness or injury. The closest thing is interval training, but that's still not a replacement for sheer mileage (ie, you cannot train only intervals to run a marathon).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh, you also don't have to wear a face hugging neoprene mask, which any person who actually excersizes will tell you holds heat and sweat like nothing else. I can't think of anything worse to wear on my face while exercizing. Buy the powerlung if you want a gimmicky device.