Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Got some new to me plastic hoops that came with new Conti tires. Both are DH casing. Front is an Argotal super soft and rear is Xynotal soft.

So what's the preferred psi front the front Argotal? I'm down to 18psi and cornering grip is kinda sketchy. I'm around 160lbs. NE rocks & roots of the wet kind. Maybe a Kryptotal would do a better job?
Kryptotal DH F @ 19psi has been a pleasure, although nearly time to replace.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Same wear time as Maxgrip? Insert in the front? Still undecided about going back to an Assegai/DHR combo.
Lasts much better than a MaxxGrip IMO. No front insert. I think the Assegai might have the edge over the Krypto on gravel and dust but the Krypto better on soil and less knob squirm on hard surfaces like rock and roots. Really good tyre - worth trying. I'm about to go back to an Assegai (Kryptotal pair was going to be $240 AUD, I got a Assegai/DHR2 combo for $145 on sale) but would prefer the Kryptotals if I could get them the same price.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Got some new to me plastic hoops that came with new Conti tires. Both are DH casing. Front is an Argotal super soft and rear is Xynotal soft.

So what's the preferred psi front the front Argotal? I'm down to 18psi and cornering grip is kinda sketchy. I'm around 160lbs. NE rocks & roots of the wet kind. Maybe a Kryptotal would do a better job?
I weigh about 10 lbs more than you, and run the DH casings at 18/21 for stuff without rocks, 19/22 for stuff with rocks. I just spent the week shuttling Ashland OR, and didn't have any flats or bad rim strikes. This is with Kryptotals though.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
So. Got a day on a pair of Kryptotal DH softs. The word that comes to mind is squirmy, at least on hardpack bikepark stuff. Better on the rocky trails, I think. See if once the knobs wear a bit if they stop feeling so weird.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I was up there shuttling for three days two weeks ago, nice trail system they've built there. Timewarp was a blast.

View attachment 197986
Yeah, Timewarp was so fun. This was my 3rd trip up there to visit a buddy, but the first time it's been not under snow. Well worth the pedal up from the shuttle drop IMO. Bull Gap wasn't anything special.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, Timewarp was so fun. This was my 3rd trip up there to visit a buddy, but the first time it's been not under snow. Well worth the pedal up from the shuttle drop IMO. Bull Gap wasn't anything special.
Yeah, Bullgap was meh, although Lynx was pretty fun. Catwalk and the rocky sections of Marty's were my fav outside of Timewarp.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
My Kryptotal R soft have been holding amazingly well so far this year. Oh wait, I still haven't used the bike they're on :wtf:

But to add something meaningful here, the 40d MOPO rubber of my E13 tires (Vee's DH compound too) are still looking great after 550km. The rear one has some rounded edges but still has at least 200km of life left I'd say. Much better than I was expecting, and longer lasting than Schwalbe's Addix Soft.

Another advantage of E13 tires were that they could be found cheap, but now they jacked up the prices in line with Contis and Contis have much better sidewalls.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My Kryptotal R soft have been holding amazingly well so far this year. Oh wait, I still haven't used the bike they're on :wtf:

But to add something meaningful here, the 40d MOPO rubber of my E13 tires (Vee's DH compound too) are still looking great after 550km. The rear one has some rounded edges but still has at least 200km of life left I'd say. Much better than I was expecting, and longer lasting than Schwalbe's Addix Soft.

Another advantage of E13 tires were that they could be found cheap, but now they jacked up the prices in line with Contis and Contis have much better sidewalls.
Because I'm a massive nerd and wrote down the date I put the Kryptos on I just checked and my DH casing Soft R/UltraSoft F combo has done 18000m vert and 500kms. They're still going but they're at a state you'd put new rubber on for a trip or big race.

IME, I'd normally have completely toasted a Maxxis or Schwalbe by now on that bike. Casings are good too I reckon

Did anyone see the tyre shootout on Vital recently? I think their winners were a Vee and a Vittoria or something. I'd be curious if anyone has tried that stuff.

*edit* linky boi - https://www.vitalmtb.com/whats-best-mtb-front-tire-vital-mtb-roundup

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Did anyone see the tyre shootout on Vital recently? I think their winners were a Vee and a Vittoria or something. I'd be curious if anyone has tried that stuff.

*edit* linky boi - https://www.vitalmtb.com/whats-best-mtb-front-tire-vital-mtb-roundup

Interesting, I've been running the Vee Attack's on the rear of a few of my bikes and loved them, but to me they are a def rear tyre not front.
Up front I've found nothing to surpass the Vee Flow Snap WCE DH tyre.
Heavy, but nothing I've ever tried has come close to the grip and robustness.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm still a magic Mary fan..going to order a couple tacky chans to try..

I do like the assegai as well and dhf combo...have it on one of the bikes , I railed a situation I prayed the assegai would hold line...it did and I overshot the jump after berm and ended up on bushes

Tire held line like rails, so it's up there with dhf and magic Mary

Yeah @buckoW I read that to see pressures and combos was a pretty good read.

Your girl killed.it at the races BTW...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
FWIW I've been running 19.5psi front and 20 psi rear on my hardtail (with Cushcore rear and trail casing tires) in rocky shit all year without a flat or any ding. I won't go any lower, but the low psi is nicer on my back.

On my FS bike with enduro casing Kryptotals I've been doing 22 psi front and 24 psi rear. Seems like my sweet spot.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Anyone able to comment on Argotal vs. Kryptotal front for loose, Tahoe bike park conditions? I picked up an Argotal on Labor Day clearance to use in this winter, and was thinking of throwing it on for my trip up to Tahoe this weekend. I've been told to expect it will do a bit better in the loose but feel a bit squirmier on hardpack.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Rather fond of the Vee snap wce on the front. Geez they grip somewhat. So ordered up a few on a deal. Did i mention they grip!

e13 grappler endurance compound update. Bought a second one and it still leaks sealant out the sidewalls a month on. Tears knobs like no ones business and i do miss the dampening effect of soft compounds on proper chunky DH trails. Roll fast thats all they do. Dont grip well. And seem real sidewall rollie below 30psi. E13 tyres are dead to me haha.
I think Vee are my brand. Went on easy, sealed instantly. Cant wait to hit the track that will be the Aus National Champs DH track on the weekend with them.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Damn those side knobs look really close together and center knobs looks really spaced out and far from the side knobs.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The looks more like an HRII than an Assegai.
Actually you are right.
Anyhow, not a fan of Schwalbe's offerings. I have ridden the magic Marys for a little bit and had sersious trouble especially with the rear wheel losing grip in corners. At first it was fun to ride a relatively lose rear end until I had to ride in wet conditions. The rear of the bike felt like riding a semi slick. Scary it was.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
So what's the hot enduro tire combo? I have my Kona Process suspension set up with 180mm in the front and 163mm in the rear. I just got some new carbon wheels and I am trying to select the right tire combo. I have a Maxxis Assegai EXO+ on the Front and a Maxxis DHR Exo+ on the rear on the current wheels. I like the performance but have had issues with Exo+ ripping in the past. What are my options, short of a DH tire?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Conti Kryptotal Fr & Re, in DH casing - weighs about the same as a DD Assegai/DHR setup. Or just run that.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So what's the hot enduro tire combo? I have my Kona Process suspension set up with 180mm in the front and 163mm in the rear. I just got some new carbon wheels and I am trying to select the right tire combo. I have a Maxxis Assegai EXO+ on the Front and a Maxxis DHR Exo+ on the rear on the current wheels. I like the performance but have had issues with Exo+ ripping in the past. What are my options, short of a DH tire?
This

Conti Kryptotal Fr & Re, in DH casing - weighs about the same as a DD Assegai/DHR setup. Or just run that.
The Schwalbe Supergravity combo of soft Big Betty rear and UltraSoft Mary front is a really good option also but the Conti DH pair is SuperSoft F and Soft R worked awesome for me last year.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What he said..soft rear (Betty or Mary) super soft front (Mary)
Super gravity rear trail front in dh bike and slash...except I'm running tacky chan rears now instead of Betty ..
.love TC. fast , hard hitting in corners, holds line but needs to be told what to do and it will do it.

The super gravity this year are really solid sidewalls, running it with Procore 22 rear 18-20 front ..air up slash a little if I'm pedalling.

Got a few local DH races coming up, I'll run chan front and rear for it. Got a new set sitting here waiting.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Where do Euromonkies get their favourite Maxxis offerings nowadays?
Seems like the DHR2 29" x 2,4" Double Down Maxxterra is vaporware. All my usual onlineshops and local bikeshops don't have them in stock. Not really interested in any other model as it's my prefered rear tire since forever.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada