Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
What is the deal with Schwalbe's "bike park" version of some of their tire offerings? They're being offered at various sources for cheapppp. I am broke and need new tires.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
What is the deal with Schwalbe's "bike park" version of some of their tire offerings? They're being offered at various sources for cheapppp. I am broke and need new tires.
Cheapest tires, in all regards. Hard compounds and shitty beads. Stay away unless you only ride park on groomed trails.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
He liked how the Minion DHR II handled braking, but (...t)he side knobs were also too bulky for his liking, resulting in decreased bite.
That's the first time I hear somebody complain about side knobs being too big. He should consider a tire wizzadry session with @kidwoo :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
nothing about bead and carcass construction... I'd be curious. I wonder if they're designed to work with foam cores, or whether they are tough enough on their own.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Those are the same tires we talked about in August

Gravey's new tires:
If you notice the out of focus portion of the Hotpatch that says "Gripton" you can infer that the new Butcher uses all new Specialized developed compounds. The tread pattern updates were meant to be subtle but unique to draw attention to overall tire updates. It's supposed to be a "new" tire that doesn't mess with what worked in the old tire.

Sizing is also meant to be different than the old 2.5's. If all went to plan, they should be everything the Enduro guys were asking us for, but I had to leave before any samples arrived. I have no first hand knowledge of how they're working out size or performance wise.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
are deals for tires posted in this thread? I am after some big niner tires. ive been digging on the net looking for deals on some 29x2.4 rubbers, feel free to suggest some sites.:brows:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
how far under the ice? do you have a specific bridge in mind?

okay, lets say I am buying tires for this thing then:

what say ye now? ;)

Post reported to mods.

There's no reason to bring that kind of content here. It only degrades the experience of other users.

You can order tires off the maxxis website BTW. Bontrager too. Nothing else really matters.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Post reported to mods.

There's no reason to bring that kind of content here. It only degrades the experience of other users.

You can order tires off the maxxis website BTW. Bontrager too. Nothing else really matters.
noted, I will stay in my lane and try to keep the eyesores to a minimum.

thank you for that info. I will most certainly check them out.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I just ran across a deal for a set of DHF 27.5 x 2.5 DH ST tires for the wife's new bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on running these tubeless? I pretty sure it can be done but should I is the question.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just ran across a deal for a set of DHF 27.5 x 2.5 DH ST tires for the wife's new bike. Does anyone have any thoughts on running these tubeless? I pretty sure it can be done but should I is the question.
My experience with Maxxis DH tires tubeless is that they can be a bit of a pain to get to seat at first as compared to EXO tires, since the bead is so much stiffer, but once you get them to go they seal pretty well. If you've got a compressor it's pretty easy, if you're trying with a hand pump you'll probably have a bad time.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
My experience with Maxxis DH tires tubeless is that they can be a bit of a pain to get to seat at first as compared to EXO tires, since the bead is so much stiffer, but once you get them to go they seal pretty well. If you've got a compressor it's pretty easy, if you're trying with a hand pump you'll probably have a bad time.
I've got a compressor and steel levers. I just want to make sure I don't kill my wife setting up a tire that's not a good match for tubeless and sending here flying down the gnar.

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Hello guys, I have a couple of questions (sorry if they have already been answered):
Im in the search of a new dh tyre and im between the magic marys and the good old minion dhf.
I never had schwalbes and after some research, I still Dont know what of their carcass can be used tubeless???
And for maxxis now, their LUST carcass implys that its dual ply (dh) or that doesnt has to do?

thanks

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Has anyone run Mich Wild Rock'R 2 tires for actual DH? I know I've seen a few doing this at our local hill but would be interested to hear anyone's experiences...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Has anyone run Mich Wild Rock'R 2 tires for actual DH? I know I've seen a few doing this at our local hill but would be interested to hear anyone's experiences...
Yup, have a full year on them with no plans on changing for this year.
No issues, but then again I am now old fat and slow

Would bang again 10/10

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Any word on how the WR2 sidewalls compare to Super Gravity Magic Marys?
I´m looking for something to run with my Procore this season and so far, they seem like a worthy option.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Any word on how the WR2 sidewalls compare to Super Gravity Magic Marys?
I´m looking for something to run with my Procore this season and so far, they seem like a worthy option.
I was reading on this website (en français) that Michelin now have an "all mountain" casing to along with it's "enduro casing". If I'm not mistaken, both the "am" and "enduro" casing are two-layer casings with a reinforcement in between (in blue in the photo below), on the the enduro casing, that reinforcement is 33tpi, whereas on the am casing, it's 60tpi.
How that compares to Super Gravity and DD I don't know. Though I think DD has an extra butyl reiforcement that goes up the casing a bit from the bead.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Just to add to what @slyfink already stated:

Schwalbe's Super Gravity tires use a 2ply "turn-up" construction, where you get the same amount of material as a 2ply DH tire in the sidewalls, but less casing under the tread. So they have the sidewall support of a DH tire, but a more supple tread area. SG tires also have a bead to bead reinforcement layer for additional puncture protection that probably contributes even more support and butyl inserts at the bead for pinch protection (and even more support).

Maxxis Double Down tires are a full 2ply construction also with butyl inserts like a DH tire, just using 120tpi plys instead of 60tpi and a folding tubeless bead.

Best I can tell, all of Michelin's tires only use 1ply construction (their claim of 2 layers appears to me like just the typical 1 ply overlapping itself as in all basic tires, not to be confused with true 2ply) with just a variety of different reinforcement layers. This puts them somewhere between EXO and SG/DD tires for theoretical support. Similar to some of Specialized's Grid constructions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Where the hell is that wildrockr 2 dh tire?

Hey you guys remember a few years ago when tire companies would say they couldn't make this or that tire because molds were expensive, it's really hard to bring a new tire to market blah blah blah?

In the last two years most of them have come out with multiple new treads, wide widths for 27 and 29, fat bike tires, plus crap in two sizes, revised casings and on and on....... All because they think they're 'getting ahead' of the next new trend their buddies in other segments of the industry just pulled out of their butts.

Seriously. Screw you guys. Just make good tires. Not excuses. You obviously have the resources when you think you're about to be left behind at the next dentist convention.

Last edited:

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009

Hey you guys remember a few years ago when tire companies would say they couldn't make this or that tire because molds were expensive, it's really hard to bring a new tire to market blah blah blah?

In the last two years most of them have come out with multiple new treads, wide widths for 27 and 29, fat bike tires, plus crap in two sizes, revised casings and on and on....... All because they think they're 'getting ahead' of the next new trend their buddies in other segments of the industry just pulled out of their butts.

Seriously. Screw you guys. Just make good tires. Not excuses. You obviously have the resources when you think you're about to be left behind at the next dentist convention.
I say copy and paste this and send it to your favorite tire company. Of course the lizard people will be knocking at your door veeery soon if you do.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Nice relaxing educational video to calm your chakra bro?