Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Well yes, I was only saying it was a passable tire option considering the dry conditions at the beginning of that week. I would have never expected anyone to run that tire in the wet if they hoped to stay on track.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Yea it's a weird departure for Maxxis. We all know and love the no-transition-knob designs, this seems like a weird step for them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If 5.10s rubber is so sticky, why don't they make tires out of it?
Because no one wants 500 dollar tires.

Let me rephrase that. No one who rides enough that they have to replace tires regularly wants 500 dollar tires. The dentistry skills on mtbr would be all about it.. Given the difficulty of keeping that stuff glued to the bottom of my shoe, it might be tough to bond a tire with it.

Might actually be too sticky to be honest. Glancing rocks could rip your bars out of your hand.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
they could enter a partnership with ShoeGoo/Stans and sell them pre-filled. Because as much as I love my 5.10s, they're all half shoe goo after about 3 months in...

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
If 5.10s rubber is so sticky, why don't they make tires out of it?
I think Intense did that back in 2001 when they first began working with 5.10 making shoes and if my bong shed memory of that Dirt Mag issue serves me correct I believe they said the tires would roll really slow and pick up everything off the ground and eject it so bad they were denting tubes and ripping knobs off after a few runs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think Intense did that back in 2001 when they first began working with 5.10 making shoes and if my bong shed memory of that Dirt Mag issue serves me correct I believe they said the tires would roll really slow and pick up everything off the ground and eject it so bad they were denting tubes and ripping knobs off after a few runs.
i would love to see video of that

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
they could enter a partnership with ShoeGoo/Stans and sell them pre-filled. Because as much as I love my 5.10s, they're all half shoe goo after about 3 months in...
Heck, you could make your own 5.10 tires by just applying shoe goo directly to the rim.

Edit: A quick google search to see if someone has ever tried to make a tire out of silicone had me popping out of this rabbit hole.

I think I know what I am doing this weekend.

http://www.resinpu.com/h/Products/Addition_silicone/Life_casting_silicone/2016/0420/443.html

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
What schwalbe tires do people run on the rear of there DH/Enduro bikes? Where i was living before trails were dry and dusty so I had a magic mary on the front and a rock razor on the rear. Rock razor won't cut it in the more loamy conditions. I think a magic mary on the rear maybe overkill. Whats schwalbe minion equivalent? A nobby nic?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What schwalbe tires do people run on the rear of there DH/Enduro bikes? Where i was living before trails were dry and dusty so I had a magic mary on the front and a rock razor on the rear. Rock razor won't cut it in the more loamy conditions. I think a magic mary on the rear maybe overkill. Whats schwalbe minion equivalent? A nobby nic?
I'm sorry to break it to you, but there is none. Look at Maxxis or Michelin. They seem to be the most popular on this thread. Some people like the eThirteen tires too, if they're not fussed about rolling speed.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Those new Kendas look interesting. No idea what they cost, but if they're cheaper than the magic marys i've come to like, might be worth a try.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well of course it works. It's a minion DHF/DHR2 offspring. Only thing left to mess up is the rubber compound, casing and profile.

Would bang. If offered in the right wheel size, durometer and casing.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
They've got a tough guy trail bike casing that's pretty good but yeah, they're tread designs are kinda poopy. I've got some friends that like the vigilante but it seemed pretty damn squirmy to me.
I concur. Tried a Vigilante TCS a few months ago. Loved the casing, the tread not so much. Much less predictable than other tires I'm used to ride.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I concur. Tried a Vigilante TCS a few months ago. Loved the casing, the tread not so much. Much less predictable than other tires I'm used to rier.
They're really popular round here with the XC lid and goggles crowd. (I think as a hans dampf alternative but at half the price) the trails are steep, technical rooty and generally wet but with good support. I've only ridden mates bikes with them and fuond them grippy in a straight line and braking but less predictable in turns. Seeing as I run dry tryes (DHF/RII front, Bling/BBG rear) and fairly high pressures all year round my opinion of them is a little skewed.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Help me out here.
Does Maxxis make any of their 27.5 tyres in a DH casing with a similar durometer to Maxxpro 60a? Preferably a DHF or HRII
Looking for something hardwearing and fast rolling to stick on the rear.