Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, not sure about the names... I'm w Woo: the DHF was invented by a racer for racing...

But back to my question, what's the tradeoffs between the two? DHF rolls better and the DHR2 brakes better and clears mud better?

Based on my understanding, their subjective ranking would look like this:

DHF
A rolling resistance
A+ cornering traction
A- in the wet
B- braking
C+ in mud (kinda gets gummed up)

DHR2
B+ rolling resistance
A cornering traction
A braking
A in the wet
A+ braking
A in the mud

edited to add: @kidwoo, do you bother running the DHR2 with the cuts anymore? Or are you still full-time on the G5s?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nah come on, be fair. That thing really is a new generation of sucking which is slightly different than their previous legacy of sucking. Their sucking is at least showing some signs of evolution. Into more sophisticated sucking.
well, Bender was on vital's podcast last week. maybe tigoa could get on the throwback train and do a reissue of their sofa saddles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nah come on, be fair. That thing really is a new generation of sucking which is slightly different than their previous legacy of sucking. Their sucking is at least showing some signs of evolution. Into more sophisticated sucking.
also, they should get at least half a point for not making another minion clone

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Braking on those looks terrific. Er, I mean terrifying.

also, they should get at least half a point for not making another minion clone
No, fuck that. People make minion clones because they work. They don't get points for making something dumb, just because it's dumb in a unique way.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Yeah, not sure about the names... I'm w Woo: the DHF was invented by a racer for racing...

But back to my question, what's the tradeoffs between the two? DHF rolls better and the DHR2 brakes better and clears mud better?

Based on my understanding, their subjective ranking would look like this:

DHF
A rolling resistance
A+ cornering traction
A- in the wet
B- braking
C+ in mud (kinda gets gummed up)

DHR2
B+ rolling resistance
A cornering traction
A braking
A in the wet
A+ braking
A in the mud

edited to add: @kidwoo, do you bother running the DHR2 with the cuts anymore? Or are you still full-time on the G5s?
which compounds you talkin' bout? MAXXXXXGRIPPPZ? MAXXXTERRRAZZZZ?
and which casing? EXO? EXR-plussorzzz? dubba downer? wire bead? and for fucks sake, yellow or white letterzorzzzz?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
How is everyone liking their ass guys? I have been a die hard DHF fan for 10+ years and decided to try one. Couple days in the bike park so far and I am very into this thing. The 2.5 WT on my i35 rims is a little more squared off than I would like but I am def not replacing my wheels.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I agree, there's not much info, but he does make a point of saying it's a full downhill casing... Like a real downhill tire. So there's that. FWIW.
Sure, but we've known about these tires official existence as the DH 22, 32, & Mud for 1/2 a year now and that they are to be released to the public in 2020.

Unofficially probably over 1 year with CRC Nukeproof indicating that they had DH casing tires.

Michelin is pretty much a huge cock tease when it comes to tires..... I can't give them my money soon enough