Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i've got a minion SS on my mega derp. been riding it for a year, probably around that many miles, hardly any signs of wear.
I was joking. I shred the sidewall of Exo SS to pieces in the past, the Aggressor DD side knobs gave up after 270 miles, I am hoping the DD SS will inherit the best of both.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was joking. I shred the sidewall of Exo SS to pieces in the past, the Aggressor DD side knobs gave up after 270 miles, I am hoping the DD SS will inherit the best of both.
i haven't had the sidewall issues you've had, but the trails down here are less rocky overall than where you are (I used to live in pawtucket and would frequently venture up into MA for the trails there). then again, i'm also north of 200lbs and run about 30psi in it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I mean at least it looks like it should work pretty well. But yeah, I'm not sure if the world really needs it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I mean at least it looks like it should work pretty well. But yeah, I'm not sure if the world really needs it.
There is one thing it should do slightly better than most of the other treads they make that mostly do the same things:

It should grab berms better.

One of my biggest gripes about what 'mountain' biking has become is that so much of your turning doesn't happen naturally anymore, it's on a big banked dirtjump spot berm. That means you really are sitting more on like a 5-10 degree angle trying to get tires to grab and not slide up to the top of the berm. You're not turning on your sideknobs. All those split center knob patterns should help that.

But that's also what the center knob sipes on the minions are......and the split knobs and sipes on a dhr2..........and so on

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I like those side knobs better than the L-shaped DHF ones.

I'd actually love to try a DHF-II without the Ls and with those ones from the Dicksector.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm kinda interested in it for the back of the trailbike.
I don't like Aggressors, and the Rekon I have now rolls really really well, but just does not have the ability to hang with the front DHR2 in corners or in punching through forest trail litter like leaves and pine straw.

Edit: Quite happy with the Ass-guy / DHR2 combo on the big bike.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm kinda interested in it for the back of the trailbike.
I don't like Aggressors, and the Rekon I have now rolls really really well, but just does not have the ability to hang with the front DHR2 in corners or in punching through forest trail litter like leaves and pine straw.

Edit: Quite happy with the Ass-guy / DHR2 combo on the big bike.
Y U no SS DD in the rear?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Y U no SS DD in the rear?
Because I'm getting older and going senile?
I tied a RockRazor, which I do quite like, except it has the same issue - it does not get along with pine straw, leaves and associated forest litter. I was hoping for something that had more bite than the SS / RR semi-slicks. With the Rekon it is a wash. The Rekon has more climbing and braking grip, but does loose out large in the cornering department, neither dig through the trail litter, but I wold give the edge to the Rekon. Give me the Rekon with a bit more tread depth but with minion cornering knobs and I will be very happy camper.