Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Whoa. What's that from?

Don't say 'riding,' I mean the graphic.
https://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

Borrowed one of the images from there, and used my MS Paint skillz to depict side knob wears I observed on Minions I ran in the past.

I do like Minions but I've had better luck with Mich Rock'R2s and 2017 e13 tires as far as side knob integrity is concerned. My local terrain is kinda hostile to tires (think Bootleg Canyon).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
DH Assegai's saved my ass yesterday. Overshot the line on a high speed, super dry, loose over hard, off camber, rutted corner that has a tree and a drop off on the outside of the corner exit. I've crashed and had a bunch of close calls in that corner over the years. If you come in too hot you have to throw the back end out, loose all traction and roll the dice. I overcooked the corner, was heading towards the tree and imagining a separated shoulder. I went to throw the back end out and shifted my weight to try and climb the corner as much as I could to avoid the tree....and the thing just fucking stuck and climbed up. No loss of traction whatsoever. I've never ridden a tire that could stick like that in those conditions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
https://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

Borrowed one of the images from there, and used my MS Paint skillz to depict side knob wears I observed on Minions I ran in the past.

I do like Minions but I've had better luck with Mich Rock'R2s and 2017 e13 tires as far as side knob integrity is concerned. My local terrain is kinda hostile to tires (think Bootleg Canyon).
So's mine. The WR2s are the best tire I've ever ridden. Period. My only gripe is the weight for pedaling and the lack of weight on the dh bike.

Neat graphic. Thanks!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DH Assegai's saved my ass yesterday. Overshot the line on a high speed, super dry, loose over hard, off camber, rutted corner that has a tree and a drop off on the outside of the corner exit. I've crashed and had a bunch of close calls in that corner over the years. If you come in too hot you have to throw the back end out, loose all traction and roll the dice. I overcooked the corner, was heading towards the tree and imagining a separated shoulder. I went to throw the back end out and shifted my weight to try and climb the corner as much as I could to avoid the tree....and the thing just fucking stuck and climbed up. No loss of traction whatsoever. I've never ridden a tire that could stick like that in those conditions.
The compound on those things is fucking ridiculous. It's not the tread design so much. I really hope they start making some other treads out of that stuff.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The compound on those things is fucking ridiculous. It's not the tread design so much. I really hope they start making some other treads out of that stuff.
Is it different than the normal 3C maxxgrip? I ain't squished one yet.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Is it different than the normal 3C maxxgrip? I ain't squished one yet.

The highly scientific squeeze test would indicate the 'woo is on the right track.

I have a new Ass-guy on the front of the big bike, and a buddy blew his front out at the hill yesterday and it was replaced by a new DH 3C MaxxGrip DHF. In back to back squeeze test both of us thought the Ass-guy felt like it is softer and tackier.

FWIW

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The ones I rode were 29s. You motherfuckers need to realize that when I talk shit about something like 29ers, it's the same stupid ones you're riding and think is just so different this time around.:D

The compound they're using on the ass guys is like nothing they've ever made. Think 2003 super tacky but softer.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
The ones I rode were 29s. You motherfuckers need to realize that when I talk shit about something like 29ers, it's the same stupid ones you're riding and think is just so different this time around.:D

The compound they're using on the ass guys is like nothing they've ever made. Think 2003 super tacky but softer.

I'll have to agree and disagree the thread patter has become my favorite for off camber wet/slick and dry loose terrain with a DD maxxgripp. The DH is more sticky and draggy for just trail rides. So I use them for park stuff.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Keen to give of those a spin now.
No 26 - I would love to try them on the back of the big bike.

I forgot about how the DHR2 wanders under hard braking in chunder, had a couple of brown-stain moments last weekend where I thought my ass was gonna pass me. Really wish Michelin would have come out with the full tread depth DH version of the Wild RockR2. Oh well, adapt and overcome.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I guess I forgot it too. Or never learned it. Or was never aware of it.

Wait wut?

I dunno, it takes a huge bite, and brakes so hard, but I have always found that it wants to slip to the side. Not had the same issue with the last 2 tires I've ridden, Mary and RockR2. DHR2 brakes harder though.

I think maybe 'cause of the paddle like profile, the wider the face, the easier it is to get pulled offline by varying soil density / composition / rock / grass is my guess. I found it worse in broken clumpy grass areas, or sections of combination loose and embedded shale.

Fuck, no clue, your the tire guru 'round these parts - it just wanted to step out and when it did it reminded me of it doing the same thing years ago before I left maxxis for others.

But then again what do I know, I'm just a broken down, getting old and fat Joey anyway.

<edit> just thinking about it, I have never had the issue when using it up front. ( I have a cut one up front on the trailbike atm), but then I don't haul on the front near as hard as the back in those same conditions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah I was thinking front.

But I also learned to go fast in what's arguably some of the shittiest dirt known to man so I automatically straighten up to brake. Just curious what you meant in that regard......which it turns out you didn't after all.

I don't think I've ever ridden any tire ever that doesn't kick out when leaned and braking on the rear.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
if it's anything like my dd dhf, eleven billionty pounds plus the weight of the tears you'll shed wrestling it onto your rim...but worth every penny and ounce!
I have DD DHFs now, they're not too terrible, although I wouldn't want to go on a major epic on them. I've had no problem getting them on my rims with my bare hands (WTB i25s and RF ARC 30s), what are you running?

EDIT - Nevermind, just saw your response of 471s. How good is your technique? Are you the kind of person that uses tire levers?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I have DD DHFs now, they're not too terrible, although I wouldn't want to go on a major epic on them. I've had no problem getting them on my rims with my bare hands (WTB i25s and RF ARC 30s), what are you running?

EDIT - Nevermind, just saw your response of 471s. How good is your technique? Are you the kind of person that uses tire levers?
what is this "technique" of which you speak? :rofl:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Not seeing much love for Continentals? I only have experience with the Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.2 in Chili Compound and I am super impressed with this tire out back. Performs excellent on hardpack, but also does a great job transitioning over to loose/wet forest loam. Excellent durability too. I have removed and re-installed this tire a number of times, and I am always impressed when it goes back on.
Selling the DHF 2.35 that came with the bike, and seriously weighing up a Trail King against a DHRII. Expecting to ride more hardpack over the coming year. Will keep the DHF 2.5 up front.

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
Bought Assegai 2.5" dh casing tires to my dh bike. Traction is great but rolling resistance is great also. I'm going to replace rear with High Roller 2 2.4" or DHR2 2.4" hoping it would roll faster.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Never did get the fascination with any coloured tires.
Skinwalls always make me ask Why? They look like something off of a toy.

Tires are supposed to be black.

That is all.

:shakefist:

...and get off of my lawn.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Never did get the fascination with any coloured tires.
Gotta get that retro cred.

Those were cool looking tires...and the design doesn't look too bad either. Now the fact that you can get a dual compound tire in a lighter weight than the white ones....