Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So's mine. The WR2s are the best tire I've ever ridden. Period. My only gripe is the weight for pedaling and the lack of weight on the dh bike.
Yeah, they really need to make a DH version.

They're a little less awesome around here than I'd imagine they are in your neck of the woods, because they don't clear mud worth shit, and could use a little more open tread when things are softer. But in dry conditions, they're the business.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They need to get rid of that ribbing. That shit holds mud and serves no purpose.

If they'd actually put up real photos of the things on their stupid website you might be able to tell what they did with some of the new ones.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, good lord their website sucks. I was trying to figure out what their new stuff is like a couple weeks ago, and I think I have eye cancer now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, they really need to make a DH version.

They're a little less awesome around here than I'd imagine they are in your neck of the woods, because they don't clear mud worth shit, and could use a little more open tread when things are softer. But in dry conditions, they're the business.
probably explains why you cut one

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So I saw the Michy DH22 at MSA in the exhibit area and deflated it for the most part on the display wheel. It definitely felt as if there was some sort of quasi insert thing going on around the casing area.

Tire release is scheduled for March. Apparently white letter casings first then blue/yellow afterward. No difference between the two.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, good lord their website sucks. I was trying to figure out what their new stuff is like a couple weeks ago, and I think I have eye cancer now.
I am trying to catch up on being 12-15 years behind the latest tires. That website about fucking killed me.

Looking forward to trying those micchies in the mail tho! I might order a stack of them if they suit. I think 26" rubber hoarding is in order for me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I am trying to catch up on being 12-15 years behind the latest tires. That website about fucking killed me.

Looking forward to trying those micchies in the mail tho! I might order a stack of them if they suit. I think 26" rubber hoarding is in order for me.
I failed at getting them out yesterday but really truly will tomorrow. Sorry it's taken so long.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
The compound on those things is fucking ridiculous. It's not the tread design so much. I really hope they start making some other treads out of that stuff.
This makes a lot of sense, I've never ridden them and don't particularly like to look of the tread pattern but everyone seems to love them.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
The question is how 2.4 is that 2.4... I've had Contis in 2.4 which would be classified as 2.6 in Maxxis' catalogue. Are the modern Michelins true to size?
FWIW, Mich Wild Enduro 2.4 I had for a few rides (tore side knobs in less than 80 miles) was about the same size as Maxxis 2.5WT and Gen1 E13 TRS 2.35 (which actually measured 2.35).

I'll probably try the DH34 park version when it becomes available here. 100 grams lighter than my current go-to rear tire (single-compound DH DHR2).

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why for is it the one I would be interested in for the rear of my 27.5/26 mullet does not come in 26, but one I would put up front does?:shakefist:

Also, they should come with a free sharpie.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Cross-post of my own post from the New Toys thread.

Put the Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4" pair on last week and went and did a bunch of runs on them on the weekend. I've been running a Ultrasoft Magic Mary front for the past couple of years and either a DHR2 DD or a SuperGravity Hand Dampf on the rear for comparison.

They didn't bead up as easily as Schwalbes do - requiring a valve removal and some lube on the bead to get them to pop into place on DT EX471s.

I gave the Michelins a good nudge after a few warm up laps to see. The front (22psi - 18psi) isn't as good on rock and gravel for either braking or cornering as a Mary in my opinion. It definitely rolls nicer (pretty sure every tyre ever rolls better than a Mary) and is a good 200g lighter, but it understeered and felt vague in the rocky gravelly chute lines. On soil its an on-par performer, really nice and aggressive but I think the block spacing is a bit too tight to work on gravel? It wasn't wet so no feedback on those conditions.

The rear survived 10 laps down trails that killed 3 x DD Minions in the same time which isn't scientific but shows promise. It actually turned quite well and drifted far more predictably than the Hans Dampf I had on there last weekend. During installation the sidewall felt more flimsy than the Schwalbe SuperGravity but punctures are a bit hard to predict so who knows which is actually tougher.

Ultimately though, I wasn't really loving the front and a buddy has offered to take them off me for near what I paid (he's selling his old Enduro bike and the tyres are flogged), so I'm probably gonna go that option and put the Schwalbe combo back on. Just wish Schwalbe would come up with something more than a Dampf, but less than a Mary for rear wheel use.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Toodles - not Schwalbe but have you tried a Conti Trail King. I had one fitted to the rear, in Chilli compound and protection Casing. Great on gravel and does an excellent job in the wet and and mud. Definitely on my list for future tires, I am just working though what I have now. I think the Trail King performs better than the Hans and it lasts so much longer.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Cross-post of my own post from the New Toys thread.

Put the Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4" pair on last week and went and did a bunch of runs on them on the weekend. I've been running a Ultrasoft Magic Mary front for the past couple of years and either a DHR2 DD or a SuperGravity Hand Dampf on the rear for comparison.

They didn't bead up as easily as Schwalbes do - requiring a valve removal and some lube on the bead to get them to pop into place on DT EX471s.

I gave the Michelins a good nudge after a few warm up laps to see. The front (22psi - 18psi) isn't as good on rock and gravel for either braking or cornering as a Mary in my opinion. It definitely rolls nicer (pretty sure every tyre ever rolls better than a Mary) and is a good 200g lighter, but it understeered and felt vague in the rocky gravelly chute lines. On soil its an on-par performer, really nice and aggressive but I think the block spacing is a bit too tight to work on gravel? It wasn't wet so no feedback on those conditions.

The rear survived 10 laps down trails that killed 3 x DD Minions in the same time which isn't scientific but shows promise. It actually turned quite well and drifted far more predictably than the Hans Dampf I had on there last weekend. During installation the sidewall felt more flimsy than the Schwalbe SuperGravity but punctures are a bit hard to predict so who knows which is actually tougher.

Ultimately though, I wasn't really loving the front and a buddy has offered to take them off me for near what I paid (he's selling his old Enduro bike and the tyres are flogged), so I'm probably gonna go that option and put the Schwalbe combo back on. Just wish Schwalbe would come up with something more than a Dampf, but less than a Mary for rear wheel use.
You have the answer in your post - DHR2. I really like my purple Mary out front, but I didn't find any better rear wheel tire for my riding style and terrain than a DHR2, either Exo+ or DD in MaxTerra. Rolls decently, brakes quite well and can be cornered.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
You have the answer in your post - DHR2. I really like my purple Mary out front, but I didn't find any better rear wheel tire for my riding style and terrain than a DHR2, either Exo+ or DD in MaxTerra. Rolls decently, brakes quite well and can be cornered.
Have you tried the Dissector, yet? My hopes are high for that tire, DHR2 is a bit of boaty anchory for me.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
No, had no chance to try one. I don't know, if the side knobs will work as well as the Minion ones.
But I will put one on the list for the next order.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My initial impressions of the Dissector on the back of the trailbike are positive.
Winter showed up, so no in-depth, but for a quick and dirty....

It is fast.
It brakes well but not on par with a DHR2 - but then not many do.
It punches through tail litter like pine straw and leaves better than a DHR2
Corners well, predictable with nice breakaway, but does not have the ultimate limit of the minion twins.

Wondering about one for the front of the trailbike as well...
Interested in hearing what people think of them up front, especially compared to the minion twins.

I would try it on the the back of the DH bike in place of the DHR2 if it came in 26. (Ass-guy up front)

29 x 2.4 60 TPI Exo MaxTerra

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I think the DHR2 in 2.35" rolls really well. I didnt ride the 2.5" that came with the bike (sold it while new) but the added volume and tread spacing makes me think it would roll alot slower.

That Dissector looks promising though.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Don't think I'd run it on the front, I'd use the Assegai for that.
Assegai/Disector is meant to be a pairing like DHF/DHR is what I understand from the local Maxxis rep.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Toodles - not Schwalbe but have you tried a Conti Trail King. I had one fitted to the rear, in Chilli compound and protection Casing. Great on gravel and does an excellent job in the wet and and mud. Definitely on my list for future tires, I am just working though what I have now. I think the Trail King performs better than the Hans and it lasts so much longer.
Trail King or Trail King 2? I'd never considered Continentals really. They seem a bit light though? sub 900g gets me nervous about durability.

Yeah totally - I ran the DHR2 in for both the 2018 Trans BC and the 2019 Trans NZ and they're friggen great but I've had either sidewall cuts or stab punctures so many times even with the DD casing. I'll give the DH casing a go next time and suck up the weight penalty.

Two buddies of mine got some bargain Onza Aquilas on sale and are running them on the rear. They both swear by them, so I'll steal someones bike for a test lap one day and see what the deal is.