Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@toodles I guess you're a bit higher up the weight scales than me. But if you're destroying DD casings then all I can say is stay away from Continental. So many warped casings. And all but the Baron's treads are pretty useless imho.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles I guess you're a bit higher up the weight scales than me. But if you're destroying DD casings then all I can say is stay away from Continental. So many warped casings. And all but the Baron's treads are pretty useless imho.
83kg these days and I have the line choices of a Rhesus Monkey cable tied to an open throttle two stroke motocross bike.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
The casing on my Rubber Queen/Trail King did end up warping but I thought it was due to age (the compound is durable and I had the tire on and off based on living/riding locations). If this is a common issue then there are better options.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Question for tire nerds - I am running a Magic Mary 2.35 Addix Soft up front on my Titan, and last wet ride it was pretty scary. I'm used to Schwalbe tires having massive undercutting on the knobs when they're worn out, so I'm having a hard time telling if the tire is smoked and needs to be replaced. Regardless, I have an Assegai EXO MaxxTerra chilling in my workshop, and given the record-setting moisture this winter in the PNW, I'm thinking about throwing the Magic Mary on the back and going to the Assegai up front.

I've seen some reviews of the Assegai which indicate that the MaxxTerra compound is too hard on the Assegai on wet roots and rocks - aka, the majority of what our trails are made of. I've never had issues with other MaxxTerra tires, but perhaps the Assegai is a bit different than the DHF/DHR2 in this regard? Trying to figure out if I buy another wet conditions tire in a gooey compound to get me through the winter and save the Assegai for summer, or if I run the Assegai now.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ya got it, ya may as well try it before throwing more shekels when you may not have to. A half hour of your time to swap and change back if you no likey.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Trying to figure out if I buy another wet conditions tire in a gooey compound to get me through the winter and save the Assegai for summer, or if I run the Assegai now.
Like @mykel said, give it a run and see.

FWIW, the Ultra Soft Mary is the one you want. The difference between the Purple and Orange (Soft) isn't minor in my experience. If you're already running the Ultra Soft and its giving you trouble then geez...

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

FWIW, the Ultra Soft Mary is the one you want. The difference between the Purple and Orange (Soft) isn't minor in my experience. If you're already running the Ultra Soft and its giving you trouble then geez...
What he said.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW

I'm running the orange (soft). I should have gone Ultra Soft, but Schwalbe's old VertStar compound died so damn fast I was too scared to go all in on the Ultra Soft

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Question for tire nerds - I am running a Magic Mary 2.35 Addix Soft up front on my Titan, and last wet ride it was pretty scary. I'm used to Schwalbe tires having massive undercutting on the knobs when they're worn out, so I'm having a hard time telling if the tire is smoked and needs to be replaced. Regardless, I have an Assegai EXO MaxxTerra chilling in my workshop, and given the record-setting moisture this winter in the PNW, I'm thinking about throwing the Magic Mary on the back and going to the Assegai up front.

I've seen some reviews of the Assegai which indicate that the MaxxTerra compound is too hard on the Assegai on wet roots and rocks - aka, the majority of what our trails are made of. I've never had issues with other MaxxTerra tires, but perhaps the Assegai is a bit different than the DHF/DHR2 in this regard? Trying to figure out if I buy another wet conditions tire in a gooey compound to get me through the winter and save the Assegai for summer, or if I run the Assegai now.
I would not ride the Assegai maxxterra in wet it good in dry soft and of camber, Maxxgripp is almost a different tire. Pretty long lasting for a soft compound.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm running the orange (soft). I should have gone Ultra Soft, but Schwalbe's old VertStar compound died so damn fast I was too scared to go all in on the Ultra Soft
I got really decent mileage on my purple Mary as a front tire. It starts to show signs of wear but I think it will last the next one or two months until trails here are really dry again. No undercut tread blocks. For comparison the DHR2 MaxxTerra out back is pretty worn down, on half of the side blocks a good chunk is missing.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Counter-intuitive, but I swear the purples last longer than the Orange. Or at least they're useful far longer.
Interesting. I've got an orange one laying around in my bike hole I only briefly installed at the rear but took it off pretty quickly again, too much rolling resistance.
IMHO tire pressure is critical, a bit too much and its grip is way lower than its best. The casing is sturdy enough to run 20 psi for me, but I'm rather light. @Udi how much do you run in them?

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Interesting. I've got an orange one laying around in my bike hole I only briefly installed at the rear but took it off pretty quickly again, too much rolling resistance.
IMHO tire pressure is critical, a bit too much and its grip is way lower than its best. The casing is sturdy enough to run 20 psi for me, but I'm rather light. @Udi how much do you run in them?
I've always run my tyres softer than is sensible. 19-20psi front with the Mary and 24-25 rear.

@Udi runs toobs like some kind of Luddite so he's probably got like 40psi in them.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I've always run my tyres softer than is sensible. 19-20psi front with the Mary and 24-25 rear.

@Udi runs toobs like some kind of Luddite so he's probably got like 40psi in them.
Glad I'm not the only Luddite here! I have schrader type rims as well. Sometimes I wonder how I can even ride my bike.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

I know he hates sealant but I also remember him being a sucker for low tire pressure. The SG casing is pretty sturdy so I guess it will work with tooooobs as well. Or maybe he is running it in the DH casing variant, as I think to remember that he has them on his Gambler and not on the Reign.

Anyways, the purple SG Mary works best at pressures you describe for me as well, had a crash last week with a front wheel wash out in a turn that was no problem in worse conditions the two rides prior and needed some time figuring out what was wrong, when I remembered that I had pumped up both wheels pretty good - front tire showed more than 25 psi after the ride... stupid me.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I got really decent mileage on my purple Mary as a front tire. It starts to show signs of wear but I think it will last the next one or two months until trails here are really dry again. No undercut tread blocks. For comparison the DHR2 MaxxTerra out back is pretty worn down, on half of the side blocks a good chunk is missing.
Yeah my experience with the Mary has been strange...been riding it for about a season and it really doesn't show much wear in the ways that I normally destroy tires (e.g., the DHR2 undercutting/chunking), but the last wet ride on that Mary was very scary. I'm wondering if the rubber has either lost its tack from being mounted for so long, or if I wore off the top layer of truly sticky rubber. It has all worn so evenly though its really hard to tell.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
$47 @ CRC, will give it a try. Thank you for the tip!
Oh sweet. I might have to pick up another one.

They don't roll very well, so I wouldn't run one on the rear of anything you're trying to pedal very far, but up front they're great.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Me too, but I run Stan's Schrader valves and tubeless tires. Best of both worlds, they never clog up with sealant and I don't decapitate them as I used to do with those flimsy Presta ones.
Have you tried ghetto tubeless? A friend said to use bmx tubes for that.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yeah my experience with the Mary has been strange...been riding it for about a season and it really doesn't show much wear in the ways that I normally destroy tires (e.g., the DHR2 undercutting/chunking), but the last wet ride on that Mary was very scary. I'm wondering if the rubber has either lost its tack from being mounted for so long, or if I wore off the top layer of truly sticky rubber. It has all worn so evenly though its really hard to tell.
That's an interesting point. My Mary is also about a year old and has only been used in the winter season, so not that big mileage. I'll give it a try today again and report.

Here are some pics of the Mary and the DHR2 MaxxTerra instaleld at the end of August 19.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Reporting back - now riding the Mary on the back of my bike, which is proving a questionable decision due to the drag. The Assegai up front is awesome though - rode in icy/wet conditions a bit today on some north-facing slopes and it did much better than expected, worlds better than the worn Mary.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Reporting back - now riding the Mary on the back of my bike, which is proving a questionable decision due to the drag. The Assegai up front is awesome though - rode in icy/wet conditions a bit today on some north-facing slopes and it did much better than expected, worlds better than the worn Mary.
Ha, strange. I installed a MaxxTerra Exo+ Assegai out front and rode it in similar conditions to compare it to the purple SG Mary on a well known trail. Assegai had noticeable less grip for me, even lost the frint wheel two times in unspectecular corners, but it might be a bit of an unfair competition, MaxxTerra vs Addix Ultra soft. And it was bone dry.

dustyblinker

Chimp
Mar 1, 2020
I've done i slight trim job to a Maxxterra Assegai as I've been underwhelmed with a previous maxxgrip Assegai that I've used. On my tight local tracks it can be tough to get over on to the side knobs and I think the small intermediate knobs can squirm around making things feel vague and stopping the big side knobs digging in. Could any of the more experienced tyre people here tell me why this may or may not work? I've only done one really short ride on it so far and it felt ok.
IMG_20200229_141358077_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Looking for some advice here from the Aussies/NZLs.

I'm looking for an online source for heavy duty casing DHFs in a 26x2.35. They need to be dual ply ( which I guess is 2 x 60TPI?), ideally with a tubeless ready bead. Everything upcoming in 2020 (below) seems to indicate single ply or exo in 26, which is kind of worrying, since I've buckled them on my front wheel on pretty moderate terrain. If I find a good source I'll grab a few.

Screenshot_2020-03-27 2020-maxxis-bicycle-catalog pdf.png

If Maxxis is not a goer, is there an equivalent heavy duty tyre that another brand offers?
Edit: this would be for loose over hard/gravel/rocky trails.

Cheers for any help.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Looking for some advice here from the Aussies/NZLs.

I'm looking for an online source for heavy duty casing DHFs in a 26x2.35. They need to be dual ply ( which I guess is 2 x 60TPI?), ideally with a tubeless ready bead. Everything upcoming in 2020 (below) seems to indicate single ply or exo in 26, which is kind of worrying, since I've buckled them on my front wheel on pretty moderate terrain. If I find a good source I'll grab a few.

View attachment 142589

If Maxxis is not a goer, is there an equivalent heavy duty tyre that another brand offers?
Edit: this would be for loose over hard/gravel/rocky trails.

Cheers for any help.
Are you sure you selected 'Downhill'? This looks like you selected 'Mountain'? Maxxis International lists all these as downhill options:

TB74262000 26X2.50 55-559 27 FOLDABLE 1,180 SUPER TACKY 55 UST/ST Black DOWNHILL
TB74265000 26X2.50WT 55-559 60 WIRE 1,200 SUPER TACKY 65 ST Black DOWNHILL
TB74265500 26X2.50WT 55-559 60 WIRE 1,265 3C MAXX GRIP 65 3C Black DOWNHILL
TB74265700 26X2.50 55-559 60 WIRE 1,180 SINGLE 65 NA Black DOWNHILL

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Are you sure you selected 'Downhill'? This looks like you selected 'Mountain'? Maxxis International lists all these as downhill options:

TB7426200026X2.5055-55927FOLDABLE1,180SUPER TACKY55UST/STBlackDOWNHILL
TB7426500026X2.50WT55-55960WIRE1,200SUPER TACKY65STBlackDOWNHILL
TB7426550026X2.50WT55-55960WIRE1,2653C MAXX GRIP653CBlackDOWNHILL
TB7426570026X2.5055-55960WIRE1,180SINGLE65NABlackDOWNHILL
You're right, I did have the wrong page. Ooops!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Holy shiznitz, the purple SG Dirty Dan is a velcro tire in the slop. Prob the most grippy tire I have ever ridden. I don't think it will last long but it is pretty rad while the majic lasts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I only have a few seasons experience out here but the MaxxTerra Assegai is my go to wet tire. It just works, lets you know when you are being stupid but never lets go.