Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I only have a few seasons experience out here but the MaxxTerra Assegai is my go to wet tire. It just works, lets you know when you are being stupid but never lets go.
:nope:

Holy shiznitz, the purple SG Dirty Dan is a velcro tire in the slop. Prob the most grippy tire I have ever ridden. I don't think it will last long but it is pretty rad while the majic lasts.
:thumb:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Is the Aggressor significantly quicker than the DHR2 in the rear? Both would be 27.5" x 2.3", TR Exo Dual Compound @ approx. 32Psi.

Since moving to my current location just before Winter, I have wanted to try something quicker than my DHR2. I have been holding off because the DHR2 is a great all rounder and covers weekend rides and odd sneaky weekday in the hills. With the lock down, local riding will be predominantly tarmac to the trails, and the trails being hardpack. Gets muddy when taking the short cut down the hill to get back home (some complaints about the Aggressor's tread blocking up), but with spring and summer coming I hope these sections will dry out quicker than winter.

I hate not using a tire until its dead and I can't complain about the DHR2.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Aggressor seems to roll better than DHR2 and DHF, yes. I have one on my hardtail, not on my "real" bike. :)

It doesn’t brake as well or corner as well as the Minions.
I have the 29 / 2.5 version where the cornering knobs aren’t as small as the 2.3 version.

I can’t tell you how it works in wet/mud.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Is the Aggressor significantly quicker than the DHR2 in the rear? Both would be 27.5" x 2.3", TR Exo Dual Compound @ approx. 32Psi.

Since moving to my current location just before Winter, I have wanted to try something quicker than my DHR2. I have been holding off because the DHR2 is a great all rounder and covers weekend rides and odd sneaky weekday in the hills. With the lock down, local riding will be predominantly tarmac to the trails, and the trails being hardpack. Gets muddy when taking the short cut down the hill to get back home (some complaints about the Aggressor's tread blocking up), but with spring and summer coming I hope these sections will dry out quicker than winter.

I can only tell a difference in RR on fireroads. But the aggressor loses traction faster everywhere else.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Aggressor rolls faster, but as stated above it breaks traction a lot sooner than a DHF or DHR. I didn't like them paired with a DHF up front, seemed to unbalanced to me, but I know people that like that setup.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Has anyone tried the Spesh eliminator in the blck dmnd casing as an alternative to the Aggressor in DD? Jenson had them on sale the other day...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Has anyone tried the Spesh eliminator in the blck dmnd casing as an alternative to the Aggressor in DD? Jenson had them on sale the other day...
Tried the Grid, not the blck dmnd in both 2.3 and 2.6. Grid casing sucks now, definitely avoid. 2.3 tread had good edge grip, but low volume. 2.6 was way to floaty for me, I pulled it off after one run.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Tried the Grid, not the blck dmnd in both 2.3 and 2.6. Grid casing sucks now, definitely avoid. 2.3 tread had good edge grip, but low volume. 2.6 was way to floaty for me, I pulled it off after one run.
hmmm. that's good info, thanks. what rims did they go on? I'm thing of this as an all-rounder for the rear tire. Currently have Flow EX rims (25mm inner width I think). But I have Chromag rims (29mm inner width) waiting to be built up when the Stans die. Not that I'm looking for a wider tire, but I wonder if wider rims with burlier casings would address the "floatiness"?

That said, I have zero interest in a 2.6 tire in the rear. Maybe in the front if the sidewalls are well supported, but definitely not in the rear. I've said it before, but I think 60mm width is the sweetspot for me. But I find it impossible to find a tire in 60mm.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
hmmm. that's good info, thanks. what rims did they go on? I'm thing of this as an all-rounder for the rear tire. Currently have Flow EX rims (25mm inner width I think). But I have Chromag rims (29mm inner width) waiting to be built up when the Stans die. Not that I'm looking for a wider tire, but I wonder if wider rims with burlier casings would address the "floatiness"?

That said, I have zero interest in a 2.6 tire in the rear. Maybe in the front if the sidewalls are well supported, but definitely not in the rear. I've said it before, but I think 60mm width is the sweetspot for me. But I find it impossible to find a tire in 60mm.
30mm internal front, 25mm rear. Had 2.6s mounted on both and neither end was digging in; this was in Downieville, so decomposed granite and dust. Only tried the 2.3 in the rear.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Even black diamond seems thin to me, the Bony SE4 is thicker and same sort of tread. Not bad in dryer weather for a rear tire.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It does roll faster, but it also loses traction a lot faster, and for some reason loses air faster as well (punctures easier IMO even with the same casing - dunno why).

Have you tried a DHF on the rear? Its braking will will be substantially less than the DHR2 but they roll faster. And corner and track better than the Aggressor.

As an aside, if your not pedantic about mixing brands - try the Michelin Wild Enduro rear. That one was a good rear tyre I thought

edit - maybe try the Dissector as well?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm pretty impressed with the new e13 semi slick. It's a bit more round than the Minion SS so you're not on the side knobs all the time, and it consequently rolls a lot better, and you can get a good drifty lean on before you're into them.

Doesn't brake for shit obviously, but it's a semi slick. You already knew that.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Diss sector felt good today although it must be the smallest 2.4 ever. I still worry about pinch flatting it.
I like it too. What surprised me the most is how good it is rolling. I'd like to see a DD version, the exo one needs pretty high pressure and I am still getting occasional rim strikes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like it too. What surprised me the most is how good it is rolling. I'd like to see a DD version, the exo one needs pretty high pressure and I am still getting occasional rim strikes.
That's my only concern, too. I may have to go back to ghetto tubeless with this tire.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Why the fuck Maxxis makes an EXO casing in anything aside from an XC pattern is beyond me. Utterly hopeless. Who runs a 2.4" tyre with paper casings? Fat bikers? Stoooopid

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Many, many people run EXOs actually. I'm not saying it's a smart choice, but dudes often choose weight over durability. Especially riders who don't have local lift access, and never owned a freeride/DH bike.

Why the fuck Maxxis makes an EXO casing in anything aside from an XC pattern is beyond me. Utterly hopeless. Who runs a 2.4" tyre with paper casings? Fat bikers? Stoooopid

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting. For trail biking I ride EXO front and DD rear. At nearly 200lbs without gear I can't get away with an EXO rear tire at a reasonable pressure, especially not in the rocks. The weight penalty sucks but so does ripping holes in new tires.

'Woo is faster but not as heavy. Also, his Indian name is "Dances with Rocks", so that's probably got something to do with it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
DD casing + cushcore weighs more than a dh tire doesn't it?
Yep. It's definitely a step up over a DH tire in terms of damping/rim smash protection though too. Obviously not as good when it comes to sidewall cuts though.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
DD casing + cushcore weighs more than a dh tire doesn't it?
its just about the same weight, but rumored to provide better sidewall support and rim protection.
I've had great results with the DD tires at reasonable pressures on our buff IMBA approved walking trails.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
For the record, I run DD or equivalent in the back, but can get away with an EXO in the front for my local trails.
If I was going to BC this year I’d put a DH on back and a EXO+ on front.

I don’t want or need to run sub-25psi anymore though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nah, center knobs and sipes are different, and the Aquila has alternating L and U shaped side knobs.

Tread pattern looks pretty good but I have no idea if Kenda can make a casing or rubber compound worth shit.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Speaking of trail tire.. I tripple pinched and blew some holes in my exo+ minions f&r last week in a not so rocky area, but was going mach 10. Only option I had for tires for a the weekend was a set of exo reg dissector and exo reg assguy. I tossed them in with a set of cushcore xc's and was amazed by the dissector in the rear. Much more pedal friendly, seems to climb technical sections better and rolls fast as hell. It does cut loose braking much more easily than the dhr2, but the difference in drag/ speed is noticeable and I wouldnt go back to the DHR unless it was absolutely needed. The assguy i have is the barebones, basic b*tch version and I neither love nor hate it... its just meh. All of our trails have been pounded by rain before each ride so everything is super hard packed with lots of sand and dust over it so tough conditions to trust any tire in.