Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Weird. I've used 4 or 5 of the new e13 tires in both TRS and LG1 EN casings and they've all sealed fine.

The beads were stupid tight on all of them - to the point that I literally couldn't get them on certain wheels - but I haven't seen any issues with the casing being leaky. What sealant are you using?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It's been a while since I had a "tubeless" tire that was leaking air through sidewalls at gargantuan speed. :banghead:
Inflate to 40PSI, two hours later it is flat, with sealant. Da fuqq e13?? I checked where it is leaking and discovered a lively pattern of bubbles revealing the fabric layers inside the sidewalls.
:think: :butcher:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
It's been a while since I had a "tubeless" tire that was leaking air through sidewalls at gargantuan speed. :banghead:
Inflate to 40PSI, two hours later it is flat, with sealant. Da fuqq e13?? I checked where it is leaking and discovered a lively pattern of bubbles revealing the fabric layers inside the sidewalls.
had the same today with E*thirteen DH rear tire. Except the above happened on a ride, and resulted in a 5mi walk.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
so this has probably already been covered butt...
On a maxxis dhf dh, what's the consensus on wire bead vs folding?
I'm on a folding bead now, but I'm considering reverting back to the wire bead version as I think the folding bead rides worse.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Big Betty.png

Is this all new? Been hoping that Schwalbe would do a rear tyre that pairs up with the Magic Mary nicely.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Has anyone down-walled from a DD rear tire to EXO+ and survived?
I tried to and had a puncture last Monday. DHR2 650b*2.40 Exo+ MaxxTerra at 32 psi. The hole was exactly in the middle of the tread right before a tread block. It was tiny but the sealant didn't seal it. Tire plug did the job.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That is exactly the type of puncture I’m trying to avoid. Thanks for the responses guys.

I tried to and had a puncture last Monday. DHR2 650b*2.40 Exo+ MaxxTerra at 32 psi. The hole was exactly in the middle of the tread right before a tread block. It was tiny but the sealant didn't seal it. Tire plug did the job.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’m loving Assegai for socal dry slop. I think I’ll be sticking with this one for a while.

It doesn’t brake as well as DHRII in front, but nearly so. It’s more sure footed on loose over hard and hardback than MM (obviously), while dealing with dry and loose just as well.

It also did fine in dry Sierra loam, though any tire would have been pretty good for those conditions, and I don’t ride that stuff too often.

This $.02 doesn’t apply to bike park riding.

Overall, I continue to enjoy a front tire with transition knobs paired with a rear tire with a channel. It helps my poor front tire cornering on loose and natural trails while still allowing a bit of back tire steering, agility and mayhem.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I went to the resort on the last day last year to get my lift-served in and I sliced the rear open and got 3 punctures in the front, on EXOs. Got a new tire at the bottom for the rear and had a pretty good day despite all of that, but EXO definitely not made for the resort. Just wait till those 29ers figure out what it's like to run DH rubber on a 29er...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
ok. random non-sidewall-toughness observation. was just hanging in the garage drinking a beer and looking at my bike trying to decide if it was time to swap out the rear tire and noticed that both front and rear, the non-drive sides of my tires were significantly more destroyed than the drive sides. seems weird. thoughts?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
ok. random non-sidewall-toughness observation. was just hanging in the garage drinking a beer and looking at my bike trying to decide if it was time to swap out the rear tire and noticed that both front and rear, the non-drive sides of my tires were significantly more destroyed than the drive sides. seems weird. thoughts?
Just like speedway man, most people turn left better....

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah, I went to the resort on the last day last year to get my lift-served in and I sliced the rear open and got 3 punctures in the front, on EXOs. Got a new tire at the bottom for the rear and had a pretty good day despite all of that, but EXO definitely not made for the resort. Just wait till those 29ers figure out what it's like to run DH rubber on a 29er...
Dafuq you no DD rear?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Stop riding Nascar tracks?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Maxxis seem to have the same conflicting part number for the 2.4x29 DD DHR2 and Dissector in their store, TB00307900, that's not really going to work...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Speaking of not being an ambi-turner, a moto buddy of mine and i were on a ride where there were a ton of steep, tight, switchbàcks, that were actually still fun to do. I made the comment that for some reason i kept my feet clipped in on the left turns, but on right turns always put my foot out. He said it was common in the moto world due to the heart being onthe left side of the body. Something about the weight of the heart naturally helping you lean in that direction? IDK...but def interesting to hear its not just me!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Speaking of not being an ambi-turner, a moto buddy of mine and i were on a ride where there were a ton of steep, tight, switchbàcks, that were actually still fun to do. I made the comment that for some reason i kept my feet clipped in on the left turns, but on right turns always put my foot out. He said it was common in the moto world due to the heart being onthe left side of the body. Something about the weight of the heart naturally helping you lean in that direction? IDK...but def interesting to hear its not just me!

Dafuq

Or more likely its because the brake is on the right and when you take your right foot off you can't use it..

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That's an interesting question. I myself am usually riding with my left foot forward and am noticeably weaker and/or slower in right hand turns. When talking to a fast buddy of mine, he told me that he noticed my left foot not dropping in right hand turns as my right foot does in left hand turns. Reason is the resistance from chain tension when spinning forward on the left in contrast to turning down the right foot without any resistance when pedalling backwards. My buddy has an easy resolution, switching foot position all the time. He said he learned it in his BMX race career. He is able to manual with any foot forward.
So now I'm focusing on dropping my left foot as well and trying to ride as much as possible with the right foot out front. And it seems to work, for nao...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Dafuq

Or more likely its because the brake is on the right and when you take your right foot off you can't use it..
Just to clarify: We were on mountain bikes. And yes, from what I understood, it is related to heart weight, and therefore center of gravity, etc.

He just happens to have a ton of moto experience (road & dirt), hence his comment.

I still find it interesting. And I'm positive it is not something he just made up. More research analysis is needed...IMO

Just to clarify: We were on mountain bikes. And yes, from what I understood, it is related to heart weight, and therefore center of gravity, etc.

He just happens to have a ton of moto experience (road & dirt), hence his comment.

I still find it interesting. And I'm positive it is not something he just made up. More research analysis is needed...IMO
You're talking 290 gm offset by an inch or two. Difference in force applied to anything while riding either a bicycle or motorcycle is going to be negligible. Find another culprit.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

yeah, most people are better at turning motorcycles left, and take their left foot off and forward, winch you cant do in the same capacity with the right foot as your typically covering the rear brake with it.
im also sure than leaning 1/4" more or less could make up for the weight of the heart very easily
a heart weighs 10 ounces, not even a pound....

I assure you its a much more logical explanation than 10 ounces being offset left 1"
maybe thats why my right nut hangs lower than the left, to offset the weight of my heart :rofl:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm not prepared to believe there's any real science or testing behind that heart side / turning a mtb or moto anecdote.

But I 100% believe that a moto guy would say it!

I'm much better at turning left, but I always chocked it up to being goofy foot. Man, I hate right-turning wall rides!