Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd be curious to know what they were. Back in the day I was known to run 600g tires. Never again. :disgust1:

As to your 2nd assertion - it's a fair cop.
The only thing I remember is that you could get them in blue, and I did not. But they certainly were an XC tire.

That incident turned me towards heavier tires. Never really had a sidewall problem since then short of having the same thing happen to an Agressor on a demo bike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
When will intense reenter the tire game? :sarcastic:
Say what you will, but the Intruder is a sick intermediate tire, better than Shorty or Hillbilly. Their 909 was also great tire for pumice. Too bad they were not tubeless compatible.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I ran an E13 LG1+ DH as the rear tire for a couple of months, since I've had a good luck using its TRS MoPo variant up front (the trail casing has since proven to be insufficient for bike park usage - pinch flat at 26psi, up front)

- Pretty stout casing. The sidewall felt about the same as Maxxis DH-casing tires, with anti-pinch flat inserts above the bead. It had ridiculously stiff reinforcement under the tread area. It eventually broke in and became somewhat pliable but I was having to run lower pressure for a while. Catalog weight is 1180 grams. Mine weighed 1220.

- Climbing/braking traction wasn't as good as DHR2, which was to be expected. I was hoping it would roll a bit faster, but didn't feel like it did compared to the single-compound DHR2 it replaced.

- Cornering felt about the same as DHR2, maybe a touch more drifty presumably because of its rounder profile. The side knobs started to show noticeable wear around 250 miles, half of which was on buff trails in Idaho, Oregon, and Utah. They didn't get undercut like MaxxTerra and DC Minions, so that was good.

- the backside of center knobs (braking edges) started to get separated from the casing around the same time.

I give it the rating of Meh. I'd use it again if someone gave it to me for free.

So I'm in need of a new tire again, and was going to go back to the same 60A DH-case DHR2 I was using, but Maxxis discontinued it. Zee Germans still had some leftover inventory so I ordered a few of them.

I got Michelin's new DH34 Bike Park tire to try in the meantime.

IMG_4557.jpg

Although it is labeled as 2.4 and its metric sizing says 61-584, I think it's more comparable to 2.3 DHR2. The profile is ever so slightly rounder than 2.4 DHR2. The casing feels about as thick as Maxxis DH-casing, but it lacks anti-pinch flat inserts right above the bead. It weighed 1200 grams.

IMG_4559.jpg

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
no. no it was not. it was awful. i was a noob. and riding a gary fisher sugar in south florida in 2003. and even i knew immediately i'd made a horrible mistake.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Looking to pick up a front tire for the coming Winter season (UK). My go to is a DHF WT Exo 2.5" 3C, but I have a spare front wheel that I can run a second tire for wetter/muddier conditions. I was planning on going with a Shorty but wondering if a Magic Mary would be adequate and still give some cross over for hardpack trails. This will be fitted to a 29mm internal rim. I can get away Exo casing up front so I am trying to find something in similar casing e.g. Snakeskin.

I used a MM many years ago and really like it, and also tried out a Hans Dampf, but went of Schwalbe after repeatedly undercutting the side knobs soon after fitting. I think this issue is resolved? I wouldn't be looking at the latest Schwalbe tires as I haven't seen them hitting the UK stores yet, and the "current" tires can be found at a good price. I am also on the fence about Soft (Orange) vs Ultra Soft (Purple). This will be fitted to my do it all bike so not looking to make climbing any harder than needed, and I still ride some hardpack trails, or sections or trails.

I am also looking into an Assegai, but they are significantly more expensive and I am not sure if this would be a good Winter tire option.

Ultimately I see myself running 2 front wheel setups, with 1 of them being a DHF.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Looking to pick up a front tire for the coming Winter season (UK). My go to is a DHF WT Exo 2.5" 3C, but I have a spare front wheel that I can run a second tire for wetter/muddier conditions. I was planning on going with a Shorty but wondering if a Magic Mary would be adequate and still give some cross over for hardpack trails. This will be fitted to a 29mm internal rim. I can get away Exo casing up front so I am trying to find something in similar casing e.g. Snakeskin.

I used a MM many years ago and really like it, and also tried out a Hans Dampf, but went of Schwalbe after repeatedly undercutting the side knobs soon after fitting. I think this issue is resolved? I wouldn't be looking at the latest Schwalbe tires as I haven't seen them hitting the UK stores yet, and the "current" tires can be found at a good price. I am also on the fence about Soft (Orange) vs Ultra Soft (Purple). This will be fitted to my do it all bike so not looking to make climbing any harder than needed, and I still ride some hardpack trails, or sections or trails.

I am also looking into an Assegai, but they are significantly more expensive and I am not sure if this would be a good Winter tire option.

Ultimately I see myself running 2 front wheel setups, with 1 of them being a DHF.
If you'd use the tire for wet with occasional hardpack sections I'd recommend trying the Dirty Dan; that tire STICKS yet doesn't get super sketchy on hardpack. I found Snakeskin too thin (thinner than EXO), but their new SuperTrail casing looks interesting. Haven't tried a Shorty yet, but looks promising.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

Assegai maxxgripp works great in slick and greasy but will pack up with sticky mud quickly.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you'd use the tire for wet with occasional hardpack sections I'd recommend trying the Dirty Dan; that tire STICKS yet doesn't get super sketchy on hardpack. I found Snakeskin too thin (thinner than EXO), but their new SuperTrail casing looks interesting. Haven't tried a Shorty yet, but looks promising.
Yeah, Dirty Dan FTMFW as a wet weather front tire (I'm in the PNW). Super Gravity, Addix Ultra Soft is my go to.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Thanks for the replies chaps. I see a lot of local riders running a Shorty up front which is what turned me on to this option. I moved to my current location last Autumn and was going through bikes changes, so could sort tires out. Will check the DD as an option.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Thanks for the replies chaps. I see a lot of local riders running a Shorty up front which is what turned me on to this option. I moved to my current location last Autumn and was going through bikes changes, so could sort tires out. Will check the DD as an option.
I did back to back with a Shorty and a Ultra Soft Magic Mary Supergravity the other week and the MM was better everywhere except maybe on wet grass or deep mud. It was noticeably better on wet hard surfaces (rocks/roots) in particular.

I've got/had an Assegai up front now but it hasn't rained since i put it on. Unfortunately last weekend's race I fucked up and nose cased a square edge rock hard enough to cut the casing along the bead and dent a DT 471. Up until that point the Assegai (2.5", Maxxgrip, DD) was really impressive. I've ordered a DH casing version to replace it as I'm keen to try it in the wet to see how it goes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Der Baron Projekt is not bad either. In 26" around 900 g, rolls OK, great in wet soft conditions and still good on wet roots and rocks. In dry lose stuff I find the Shorty better though. Baron has for me also better durability than Schwalbe tires (not tested the current version, though).

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
FYI

27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis Assegai DD casing Maxxgrip - 1240g
27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis Assegai DH casing Maxxgrip - 1300g

27.5 x 2.4 Dissector DH casing Maxxgrip - 1080g

Decent difference between Assegair and Dissector in the same casing

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
FYI

27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis Assegai DD casing Maxxgrip - 1240g
27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis Assegai DH casing Maxxgrip - 1300g

27.5 x 2.4 Dissector DH casing Maxxgrip - 1080g

Decent difference between Assegair and Dissector in the same casing
I have no experience with the Assegai but the side knobs on the Dissector were disappointing.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The reinforcing ribs on the side knobs of the Shorty ruin it for me as a front tire. I like the Shorty when it is brand new but I feel like the cornering bite gets vague too fast as the tire wears. I do love it as a back tire with with a purple Magic Mary or Dirty Dan on the front. My favorite tires are currently the 2.35 purple Magic Mary, 2.5 Max Grip Assegai and the purple Dirty Dan. They all roll slow but hook up nicely around these parts.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
@iRider - I was running a Rubber Queen Project 2.2 a couple of years ago and was really impressed with it as a rear tire, in all conditions. The wad lasted forever but the casing ended up getting warped? I was actually looking at the Der Baron earlier in the week.

@toodles - I did forget to mention that control over roots is a big one as most local trails are in forests. Not so many rocks. Conditions get greasy with sloppy sections.
Usually I avoid these types of conditions, looking elsewhere until the trails dry up, but that doesn’t need leave much choice where I am base now, so planning to just get on with it this Winter. Ideally if I can run a tire that still copes with hardback then I don’t have to change setup.

@StiHacka - was the Dissector on the rear? Was thinking of giving one a go for the hardtail (hardback only), in place of an Agressor which didn’t get great feedback from the Monkeys when I asked. I don’t need a DHR and just waiting for the current one to die off.

Tires are the 1 thing I don’t buy extras of anymore, and run what I buy until they are done. So trying To get it right is kinda NB. All other parts I just sell on PB if I am trying something out e.g. stem length, pedals etc.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've heard the Dissectors don't keep their side knobs very long, but back tyres always have a shithouse life anyway. The DHR2 braking knobs rip badly and the Hans Dampf loses knobs faster than a leper with VD.

Just chucked the DH casing Aggressor on the front. I think the DD would be enough but availability sucks

If there's any hardpack involved, go a purple Mary over a Shawty anyday in my slow opinion.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, that's been my experience. Dissector starts life like a 25% worn DHR and goes down from there. DHR2 for me chunks off the back side of the brake paddles within a few weeks. HD is like an Aggressor (slides in every direction) that disintegrates within a couple rides. I like how DHR feels brand new but not once it starts to chunk. Wild Enduro Rear behaves more consistently, but I'd still only give it's durability like a B-.

So what rear tire maintains braking ability for more than a month? Let's say conditions are loose over hard and hard. Moderate and steep grades. Needs to have pretty tall side knobs for cornering in the loose. And not pedal like an utter pig. And while we're at it, I'd like a pony too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, that's been my experience. Dissector starts life like a 25% worn DHR and goes down from there. DHR2 for me chunks off the back side of the brake paddles within a few weeks. HD is like an Aggressor (slides in every direction) that disintegrates within a couple rides. I like how DHR feels brand new but not once it starts to chunk. Wild Enduro Rear behaves more consistently, but I'd still only give it's durability like a B-.

So what rear tire maintains braking ability for more than a month? Let's say conditions are loose over hard and hard. Moderate and steep grades. Needs to have pretty tall side knobs for cornering in the loose. And not pedal like an utter pig. And while we're at it, I'd like a pony too.
I believe I've found what you are looking for:

1599756238390.png