Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The 26" DHF stuff is all over the place, some still pretty tiny, ie a 2.35 at 52mm, a 2.3 at 58, and a 2.5 at 55, and yet another 2.5 at todays normal of 63. :twitch:
Yeah, what I should have said is, the tires that have been released more recently are pretty close to nominal. Those 2.35 and 2.5 26" DHF molds are ancient and fit the old Maxxis sizing scheme of making things tiny.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yeah, what I should have said is, the tires that have been released more recently are pretty close to nominal. Those 2.35 and 2.5 26" DHF molds are ancient and fit the old Maxxis sizing scheme of making things tiny.
Ya, I know, just being difficult. :wave:
Not sure why they would still make the really tiny stuff. They have the more recent 26" moulds that are pretty true to size. I'm thinking they no longer have the demand that would preclude them from rotating the moulds. Hot patches are the easy part.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I always look at metric ETRTO sizing (e.g. 61x584, for example). At least with regard to Maxxis tires, there's a far better chance of those being more accurate representations of the actual tire sizes than their free-spirited freedom-unit sizing.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
For size/volume I am liking the DHR2 2.4” and Assguy 2.5”.

The Assguy reminds me of a 2.35 Mary which I feel is spot on. The 2.5” DHF is a bit bloated, and while it’s ok on the front and possibly where trails are more rocky, IMO there is too much casing roll to run it on the rear (pushing hard in corners on hardback).

Back to Aggressor and for some reason I found myself reading some reviews yesterday and it’s all over the shop for this tire. Reports of it rolling slower than a DHR2, but contradicted by others. 2.3 being faster but not having corner bite at larger lean angles......didn’t leave feeling warm and fuzzy all over.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So what's the monkey brain's stance on the Spesh Eliminator in the BLK DMNDMNDMND casing? They are on sale everywhere and my current rear tire is a true boat anchor so I pulled the trigger. Will I die?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
So what's the monkey brain's stance on the Spesh Eliminator in the BLK DMNDMNDMND casing? They are on sale everywhere and my current rear tire is a true boat anchor so I pulled the trigger. Will I die?
Too thin of sidewalls (exo is better) and quickly loose traction without showing wear. I'd rather run an Aggressor and I hate that tire.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Too thin of sidewalls (exo is better) and quickly loose traction without showing wear. I'd rather run an Aggressor and I hate that tire.
I doubt the Black Diamond casing is thinner than the exo as the tires are 200g heavier than the Grid casing that is comparable to Exo. Also, for the rear tire, I don't care about traction as much. What I care about is that the side knobs don't die after 50 miles like on the Aggressor.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I tried the GRID version of the 2.3 and 2.6. Sidewalls sucked, the new Grid is not the old Grid. The 2.3 side knobs hooked up really well, I wouldn't mind trying a black diamond version at some point. It's noticeably low volume though. The 2.6s were a floaty mess that got pulled off immediately.

Just tried a Dissector 2.4 EXO+ Maxterra on the back with a DHF up front yesterday and came away impressed. Terrain was high speed rocky dual track and wet hardpack in Norcal. Rolling resistance was less than the DHF I'd been running in back and barely gave up anything in cornering. Lower volume was a little noticeable but still more than acceptable. Going to try one on the front as well. One bummer - they came in weighing 50g more than advertised.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I doubt the Black Diamond casing is thinner than the exo as the tires are 200g heavier than the Grid casing that is comparable to Exo. Also, for the rear tire, I don't care about traction as much. What I care about is that the side knobs don't die after 50 miles like on the Aggressor.
That was my thoughts as well when I ordered it. I may have gotten a bad batch. But switched to an SE4 quickly.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife has a 2.4 EXO+ on her rear wheel, side knobs don't look like they'll last as long as one might hope. @StiHacka surprised you mention the side knobs wearing on the Aggressor's, I don't think we've had an issue with that, I still happily run 2.3's for hundreds of miles before the centre tread wears out, I guess I should go check on the side knobs on my current one.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was getting a lot more cornering grip with the Dissector than I did with an Aggressor, although I need to try the Dissector in blown out conditions to know for sure. I'm ok with a short lifespan if it means close to DHF cornering grip paired with fast rolling.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I haven't been very impressed with the Dissector. It doesn't roll enough better than the DHRII to justify how much worse it brakes, and I ripped a bunch of side knobs off in short order.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I haven't been very impressed with the Dissector. It doesn't roll enough better than the DHRII to justify how much worse it brakes, and I ripped a bunch of side knobs off in short order.
Which casing/compound on the Dissector? I’ve never found enough value in the extra braking traction of the DHR2 for what it gives up to the DHF in dry loose condition cornering, and I don’t find it to roll any better.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Which casing/compound on the Dissector? I’ve never found enough value in the extra braking traction of the DHR2 for what it gives up to the DHF in dry loose condition cornering, and I don’t find it to roll any better.
MaxxTerra, Exo+, 2.4. I'd normally run a DD rear for pedally bike duty but at least as of when I got the one I tried, they didn't have that on offer.

If anything, I think the DHRII rolls a little worse than the DHF, but it brakes a shitload better.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'd like to try a Dissector in the rear, but will wait for a DD/MaxxTerra.
The DH casing Dissector isn't very heavy at all. I think mine was like 1080g. The DD casing doesn't save a whole lot. I think they're a pretty good tyre, nothing unexpected.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I tried the GRID version of the 2.3 and 2.6. Sidewalls sucked, the new Grid is not the old Grid. The 2.3 side knobs hooked up really well, I wouldn't mind trying a black diamond version at some point. It's noticeably low volume though. The 2.6s were a floaty mess that got pulled off immediately.

Just tried a Dissector 2.4 EXO+ Maxterra on the back with a DHF up front yesterday and came away impressed. Terrain was high speed rocky dual track and wet hardpack in Norcal. Rolling resistance was less than the DHF I'd been running in back and barely gave up anything in cornering. Lower volume was a little noticeable but still more than acceptable. Going to try one on the front as well. One bummer - they came in weighing 50g more than advertised.
I shredded my exo+ dhr and dhf tires and was stuck running regular exo dissector/ assegai for a few months. Really really liked that combo, but had high pressures and cushcore in there. Switched in august to the same combo but dh casing out back and DD up front w/ cushcore xc- absolutely deadly for our trails around here. The DHRII was always a bit too slow rolling for me and I find the dissector to be much quicker. The DHF front has always been a killer tire, but the cornering give then bite always scared the shit out of me. The assegai is now my 100% go to front tire for 99% of conditions.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I'd like to try a Dissector in the rear, but will wait for a DD/MaxxTerra.
I am also waiting for this tyre, I'd like something a bit faster rolling than the dhr 2 for the rear of my trail bike. Unfortunately they don't list this tyre at the moment, hopefully it'll come along soon. Hopefully the side knobs stand up to at least some abuse before giving up, they do look like they might not.

I've been riding the exo dissector 2.4 on the front of my light weight xc/trail bike (transition spur) and I am quite enjoying it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wells I dids it. Just picked up a pair of Michy DH22's for the bike.....

....Will report my findings, but I'm expecting amazing grip and hating myself with every pedal stroke......

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

....Will report my findings, but I'm expecting amazing grip and hating myself with every pedal stroke......
That's certainly my experience with them :D

If they made a version with more like a Double Down casing in the ~1100g range it would be amazeballs.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That's certainly my experience with them :D

If they made a version with more like a Double Down casing in the ~1100g range it would be amazeballs.
That would be great, but the chances of that happening are about as good as Michelin developing a functional website.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I am eyeballing the Big Betty 2.4 in the SG casing for the rearz. They are heavy though.
I tried the new MM & BB for a few rides in their "Super Trail" casing, and then sold them because they were heavier than a DD DHR & EXO+ Assegai, and didn't ride any better. Plus the ST doesn't let you get purple for the MM.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I tried the new MM & BB for a few rides in their "Super Trail" casing, and then sold them because they were heavier than a DD DHR & EXO+ Assegai, and didn't ride any better. Plus the ST doesn't let you get purple for the MM.
It's weird. The ST casing is a bit thinner than SG, and feels a little more supple, but it's barely any lighter. I'm not really sure what the point is.

I measured the 27.5x2.4, soft (orange) BB at 1251g in ST, and 1272g in SG.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

...apparently I had a Freudian moment. I actually ordered a pair of DH34's much to my surprise while opening the shipment. My legs must have taken over my brain while placing the order in fear of what would they would have been subjected to if I ordered the 22's. Somehow, I'm guessing these will still be a bear to pedal...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
...apparently I had a Freudian moment. I actually ordered a pair of DH34's much to my surprise while opening the shipment. My legs must have taken over my brain while placing the order in fear of what would they would have been subjected to if I ordered the 22's. Somehow, I'm guessing these will still be a bear to pedal...
How do these new DH* tires from Michy shed mud. I inadvertently ended up riding through a couple short sections of peanut butter on my last ride and was reminded how poorly the Rock'R2 sheds mud. :mad:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
How do these new DH* tires from Michy shed mud. I inadvertently ended up riding through a couple short sections of peanut butter on my last ride and was reminded how poorly the Rock'R2 sheds mud. :mad:
Shedding mud is byproduct of tire choice, design, and type of mud. Peanut butter/clay is probably the most challenging mud the shed and the Wild Rock'R2 center tread isn't overly prominent nor terribly open IMO. It really isn't very surprising that it wouldn't work well.

These DH34's are a different beast altogether. More spacing and more prominent center knobs so they'll certainly be better than the Rorc'R2 in mud. As for peanut butter, that's why spikes exist.

It'll be fun giving them a proper go once the trails clear off.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I'm sure this has been discussed before but what's the consensus on this type of sidewall damage? I do run low-ish tire pressures (~22psi front, ~25psi rear), which I guess could contribute. Not a picture of my specific tire, but had it on DH casing DHR2 and DHF. Safe? Preventable? Luck of the draw?

tire-5.jpg