Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Finally installed the orange stripe SG 2.4 Big Betty rear yesterday and did 5 or 6 laps. Aside from one unplanned sapling removal due to some new tyre overconfidence, all was well. Braking was very good, rolling seems on par or better than the 2.4 DHR2 benchmark. I think the DHR2 has a better edge breakaway though, but I might just need to take the shine off the Betty. It definitely stepped out on me a couple times when I'd normally have keep it together on the DHR2. Will see how it goes over the next few weeks, I've got a brand new ultra soft Magic Mary up front which is awesome as ever.

Trying to decide whether to run the SG Schwalbe combo or a DD Assegai/DHR2 for an upcoming multi day fanny pack race.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Sounding good. My BB should be arriving soon. What do you mean by better edge break away? I really like the DHR2 but I have been running it exclusively in the rear, on the full sus, since it was launched. It just works so well. Although I really like the Assegai I am dead keen to try a MM as the seasons change and going into Winter.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
Anyone try the newer Vittoria offerings? I'm stocked up on DHF DH casings, but most other Maxxis are $100/tire these days. Getting a bit ridiculous.

Watching EWS coverage the compound is supposedly super soft but long lasting. :blink:
I assume the Mota is for after the bong shed.....
A friend run the Mazza for enduro and is really happy with them. He had no success with the light casing with slashes pretty quickly but because he like the thread and compound he tried the thick casing which he highly recommends.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think 'return' has to at least share some similarities. round and black I guess

"dog"

specialized has all the imagination of the marvel franchise

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anyone know what's going on w/ michelin dh tires? they've been out of stock everywhere for months.

edit: should clarify i'm looking for dh34 bike park in 27.5

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm going to give Tubolight HD inserts a try. They were recommended to me from a riding buddy as good for support and rim protection, but light and easy to install, and won't warp sidewalls like Tannus. He likes that if you do manage to puncture with them, you can get them off with your hands to install a tube and ride out. From the webpage, it looks like a couple of the fast Frenchies run them. And only $50 each.

I will say that they are night and day difference in terms of ease of install. I put them in my existing tires in less than 5 mins each. Pop 1 bead, fit the insert in 1 lip at a time over the rim, then last bead of the tire. The usual stuff the tire bead to the center applies. I was able to fit them with no levers, and they didn't warp my tire casings.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm going to give Tubolight HD inserts a try. They were recommended to me from a riding buddy as good for support and rim protection, but light and easy to install, and won't warp sidewalls like Tannus. He likes that if you do manage to puncture with them, you can get them off with your hands to install a tube and ride out. From the webpage, it looks like a couple of the fast Frenchies run them. And only $50 each.

I will say that they are night and day difference in terms of ease of install. I put them in my existing tires in less than 5 mins each. Pop 1 bead, fit the insert in 1 lip at a time over the rim, then last bead of the tire. The usual stuff the tire bead to the center applies. I was able to fit them with no levers, and they didn't warp my tire casings.
Which rims do you run them on?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Looking to pick up a new rear tire so I have one in hand for Summer. Currently loving a MM up front with a trusty DHR2 DD in the rear. Prices on Schwalbe MM and BB are a lot lower than Maxxis at the moment, so looking to capitalize if its worth it.
If it weren't for the price gap I would jump straight onto another DHR2 in DD casing.
I have still not explored all the trail around Scotland but most are littered with rocks and roots expect, but I expect some trails loose in the Summer. I have seen some videos with hard pack trails, so expecting to ride a wide range of conditions this year. I am getting more confident with off camber sections which are more common up here, so another factor.
A mate who is lightning fast is running a MM front and rear in Trail casing, but he is light on his bike and comes from a racing background. Does a MM work well in the rear and is the trail casing sufficient? I don't like running a DHF in the back unless its hard pack and really dislike it when things get steep and loose. Recently switched to a MM up front though and really like.
Any further updates on BB v DHR, and is real world experience of the trail casing equivalent to DD?
My rig is already heavy so bogging it down with more tire and rotational weight would not be ideal. Since I am riding a mullet I can't try a MM in the rear and move it to the front if it doesn't work for me.
I run 30ish in the rear and hate denting my rims.

@toodles - thinking you might have some BB v DHR2 updates.

*Edit - scoured the net and all reviews of the BB is with SG casing. Maybe this is an indicator.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I'm running the MM in super gravity front and rear. The new casing is better than DD. I was on Assegai/Dhr2 but switched since the DD tires have gotten more expensive and less durable. The grip is similar but the side walls are more durable. The combo rolls slightly better.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looking to pick up a new rear tire so I have one in hand for Summer. Currently loving a MM up front with a trusty DHR2 DD in the rear. Prices on Schwalbe MM and BB are a lot lower than Maxxis at the moment, so looking to capitalize if its worth it.
If it weren't for the price gap I would jump straight onto another DHR2 in DD casing.
I have still not explored all the trail around Scotland but most are littered with rocks and roots expect, but I expect some trails loose in the Summer. I have seen some videos with hard pack trails, so expecting to ride a wide range of conditions this year. I am getting more confident with off camber sections which are more common up here, so another factor.
A mate who is lightning fast is running a MM front and rear in Trail casing, but he is light on his bike and comes from a racing background. Does a MM work well in the rear and is the trail casing sufficient? I don't like running a DHF in the back unless its hard pack and really dislike it when things get steep and loose. Recently switched to a MM up front though and really like.
Any further updates on BB v DHR, and is real world experience of the trail casing equivalent to DD?
My rig is already heavy so bogging it down with more tire and rotational weight would not be ideal. Since I am riding a mullet I can't try a MM in the rear and move it to the front if it doesn't work for me.
I run 30ish in the rear and hate denting my rims.

@toodles - thinking you might have some BB v DHR2 updates.

*Edit - scoured the net and all reviews of the BB is with SG casing. Maybe this is an indicator.
I don't know if you can get the good Mary front compound (ultra soft) over there in Super Trail yet or not. The Soft compound is still good but not as mind-bending in the wet stuff. Apparently they're releasing a Trail version of the Ultra Soft soon though?

For the rear soft is sufficient IMHO. I'm running a Big Betty at the moment and I've torn a few of the side knobs in half or off the casing all together which is annoying, but its still going well. The DHR2s I've mostly run the past few years don't even last as long as this Betty has so it's a moot point complaining anyway.

For comparison between the two I think the SG casing I'm running is at least on par with a DD casing, if not more durable. A new DHR probably brakes better than a Betty in hardpack conditions but the Betty has it on the softer dirt. The Betty is a much better tyre at clearing mud and junk.

If you're riding dry-ish conditions mostly (dust/gravel/rock) I'd take the DHR, for loam/organic forest soil/mud the Betty is better.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So like always on schwalbe new bb design is way better than old and loose over hard works well braking is reliable and predictable as a rutter to steer rear...
Magic Mary is always solid nothing to add..

I did recently run a assegai on the bike (schwalbe was backordered) hit a step down nothing massive but has a short run out to a HARD left jump hard right jump...
Over shot it bad (2 choices, ditch into rocks and weeds over berm, try and hold line hope to god tire holds line)

Decided to drop pedals and get that sob to ground and hope for a bite which is better than choice 1...
Don't know alot about that tire, but that SOB gripped and ripped that berm and over double, into next and out...the Assegai is a great tire imo...I would have no issue running it as a back up to schwalbe....

Just figured I'd put that out there if it helps anyone...don't have time in wet NW conditions or mud, or even slippery conditions...just dry kittly litter and dusty rocks..damn good design

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Okay those Conti names are dumbass. Knowing Conti these will carry a premium price, especially when launched.

Cheers for the feedback on where to go with rears tires, 2 x BBs ordered. Literally the same price as 1 new DHR2. In tan wall, to make the mullet more of a mullet. Don't flame me, they were on sale. Cleaning up the rig for this weekend and the DHR is looking chewed up. The granite rocks are brutal on rubber.

I am interested in trying Michi tires at some point.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
So like always on schwalbe new bb design is way better than old and loose over hard works well braking is reliable and predictable as a rutter to steer rear...
Magic Mary is always solid nothing to add..

I did recently run a assegai on the bike (schwalbe was backordered) hit a step down nothing massive but has a short run out to a HARD left jump hard right jump...
Over shot it bad (2 choices, ditch into rocks and weeds over berm, try and hold line hope to god tire holds line)

Decided to drop pedals and get that sob to ground and hope for a bite which is better than choice 1...
Don't know alot about that tire, but that SOB gripped and ripped that berm and over double, into next and out...the Assegai is a great tire imo...I would have no issue running it as a back up to schwalbe....

Just figured I'd put that out there if it helps anyone...don't have time in wet NW conditions or mud, or even slippery conditions...just dry kittly litter and dusty rocks..damn good design
The Assegai is a great tire. Maxxis is getting to 120.00 a tire and I've noticed that the sidewalls are wearing out a lot faster than before from rock rub. New Mary has thicker sidewalls.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Came off an assegai and really liked it. Was 27.5 so let it go with bike I sold. More versatile than a DHF. Tons of grip in a lot off situations. Went will a MM because it was so cheap and I wanted to try one again. It’s excellent for the trails I am riding here and has not skipped a beat, not saying an assegai wouldn’t be great, but yes they are getting pricey,

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Looks like we be road-tripping sometime in June to Thunder Mountain in Ma.
Have never been, so gotz a question about tires. Rear to be specific.
I'm taking the DH bike, so 26" - ya I know.

At home, I have a choice between a DH casing Single compound DHR2 or a Michi Wild RockR2 in GumX and whatever casing they came in, (both in great shape with about 85%+ tread left) or buying something new. Not sure if the Michelins will be enough tire, and the single compound DHR2 is basically a hockey puck with tread, and again not sure if it will be enough grip on a real hill. To buy something new basically just for any roadtrip - The only 26" DH I am aware of easily available is the DHR2 in MaxxGrip or SuperTacky.

Front is a 27.5 Assegai DH / Maxxgrip. (or a MagiX WildRockR2)

What say teh :monkey:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Berkshires baby!
Oooh, when in June are you around? I have a season pass so I am hoping for more than 3 days on the mountain this year. :D

I'd highly recommend DH casing for the rear. Grip wise, when the trails are wet, all the wet off-camber roots and rocks on the techier trails will get ya regardless of the compound. For the jump trails, it don't matter.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Looks like we be road-tripping sometime in June to Thunder Mountain in Ma.
Have never been, so gotz a question about tires. Rear to be specific.
I'm taking the DH bike, so 26" - ya I know.

At home, I have a choice between a DH casing Single compound DHR2 or a Michi Wild RockR2 in GumX and whatever casing they came in, (both in great shape with about 85%+ tread left) or buying something new. Not sure if the Michelins will be enough tire, and the single compound DHR2 is basically a hockey puck with tread, and again not sure if it will be enough grip on a real hill. To buy something new basically just for any roadtrip - The only 26" DH I am aware of easily available is the DHR2 in MaxxGrip or SuperTacky.

Front is a 27.5 Assegai DH / Maxxgrip. (or a MagiX WildRockR2)

What say teh :monkey:
If you plan to ride dh use downhill casings. Otherwise you can run whatever for the flow trails at any reasonable psi's.

Be aware that some of the 'blue' trails will have the occasional jagged edge rock that can be problem if you're smashy smashy too.