Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
x-post from trail bike casing thread but does anyone know of running changes to the Schwalbes? Just got a new Super Gravity 27.5 x 2.4 Magic Mary and wanted to see so weighed it in at 1190g on two different scales. Weird cos the last one I had was ~1300. I wonder what changed in the process. Surely thats too much for normal variation.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
x-post from trail bike casing thread but does anyone know of running changes to the Schwalbes? Just got a new Super Gravity 27.5 x 2.4 Magic Mary and wanted to see so weighed it in at 1190g on two different scales. Weird cos the last one I had was ~1300. I wonder what changed in the process. Surely thats too much for normal variation.
That is normal for Schwalbe. Bought a pair of Table Tops that had a huge difference, which, according to Schwalbe, "is normal as we use natural rubber that can vary". As a certified weight weenie, I have been weighing all my tires and Maxxis tires rarely differ by more than 10 g, even on DH models. Talk about a manufacturer that do not have their production under control.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I recall having a pair of the old 27.5 x 2.35 Snakeskin MMs, purchased at the same time, where 1 was 900g and the other was like 1,010. They seem to have an allowable 10% variance. Maxxis seems to only be like 2%, or +/- 20g from spec.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Less gravity, more Mary.

drinkhit

Chimp
Apr 24, 2022
Who's riding Continental? The Der Kaiser's are my favorite, especially up front for cornering and general conditions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Delium tires.

initial impression - overall seem nice in hand. treat pattern looks good, rubber feels good. difficult to mount onto a rim.
they seem to be loosening up a tiny bit after putting them on and taking them off again. currently have them set up on a second set of rims with inner tubes to help break them in some.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have been obsessed with the amazingness of some Wild Enduros I bummed off of @HAB a while back, despite mixed reviews. But with the start of the rainy season in earnest, and a run over the true DH part of our trails, I found they're terrifying over the smooth wet rock parts. Still amazing on the dirt, even better than when it was dry...but those rocks...yikes.

Only question now is so I just do Assguy/DHR in DD casing, or maybe a Shorty up front?? Never ridden the assegai; the DHF does well here though, so figure it couldn't be any worse.

Or...stay weird and go with the Schwalbe MM/BB?

it's mostly hardpack with a layer of greasy slippery on top, with looser soil on the berms and somewhat discrete rock/root sections.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have been obsessed with the amazingness of some Wild Enduros I bummed off of @HAB a while back, despite mixed reviews. But with the start of the rainy season in earnest, and a run over the true DH part of our trails, I found they're terrifying over the smooth wet rock parts. Still amazing on the dirt, even better than when it was dry...but those rocks...yikes.

Only question now is so I just do Assguy/DHR in DD casing, or maybe a Shorty up front?? Never ridden the assegai; the DHF does well here though, so figure it couldn't be any worse.

Or...stay weird and go with the Schwalbe MM/BB?

it's mostly hardpack with a layer of greasy slippery on top, with looser soil on the berms and somewhat discrete rock/root sections.
Assguy in maxxgrip is good on slick wet rocks. So is the MM in super soft, but it rolls better and last longer. I'm still surprised at saying the last part.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've got a Delium Assguy knock off and agree it seems nice. Gonna mount up soon and will report back as well. It's replacing an Assguy so should be interesting.
i got a set of those and the dhf knockoff. the assguy knockoff has been the more difficult to mount onto the rim.

installation issues aside, i am excited to give them a shot. although jury is still out if i'll ever get them installed with cushcore.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
i got a set of those and the dhf knockoff. the assguy knockoff has been the more difficult to mount onto the rim.

installation issues aside, i am excited to give them a shot. although jury is still out if i'll ever get them installed with cushcore.
Mine popped right onto 30.5 I9 rims with minimal encouragement from my tire lever. Bead is perhaps a little stiffer and tighter than a Maxxis but its a small difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Mine popped right onto 30.5 I9 rims with minimal encouragement from my tire lever. Bead is perhaps a little stiffer and tighter than a Maxxis but its a small difference.
Probably a rim thing too, I tried on 2 different rims and one was definitely easier than the other. I also read over on loam wolf that they had some trouble with the install as well, but they weren't even using the reinforced casing.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Probably a rim thing too, I tried on 2 different rims and one was definitely easier than the other. I also read over on loam wolf that they had some trouble with the install as well, but they weren't even using the reinforced casing.
I should clarify I have the all-around casing as well, so obviously easier to manage.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
got my first ride on the deliums yesterday. really liked them. after coming off DHFs and DH34s I felt right at home on them. seem like they might wear quick tho, but everything does at the bike park i ride.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Hey gang, in lieu of DHFs in dual compound (which I can't find anywhere), are there any other tyres that are tubeless, pretty hefty casing, but roll quickly? "Quick" is relative to my DHR IIs in DH casing, 3c compound. So they can still be pretty slow and fit my needs...

Bike is my all-duro Pivot, 27.5 wheels.

Cheers!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hey gang, in lieu of DHFs in dual compound (which I can't find anywhere), are there any other tyres that are tubeless, pretty hefty casing, but roll quickly? "Quick" is relative to my DHR IIs in DH casing, 3c compound. So they can still be pretty slow and fit my needs...

Bike is my all-duro Pivot, 27.5 wheels.

Cheers!

Front or rear?
If you're looking for a front I highly recommend the 2.5 Vee Flow Snap WCE!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Front or rear?
If you're looking for a front I highly recommend the 2.5 Vee Flow Snap WCE!
According to many online reviews (and also the personal experience of a friend who ran them for a while) the Snaps are ground-hugging but also sluggish.

What about the new Deliums @jonKranked has just started using? Their DHF clone looks promising, and the price is neat!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I have the Delium Versatile (DHF'ish) on the front, and so far I like quite a lot. As @jonKranked said, rubber feels nice and likewise, I had a little more trouble than usual getting it to seat up (I9 Enduro 30.5), but that might have been more related to my valve stem than anything. Not the fastest roller, which isn't terribly surprising, but I will say the sidewall seems pretty stout and holds up well at lower pressures. So far I'm quite happy with the tire. Ideally, I would have the Assguy version up front and the Versatile on the back, but I somehow ordered a Goldilocks sized Assguy so it was donated to Suboptimus for future testing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the Delium Versatile (DHF'ish) on the front, and so far I like quite a lot. As @jonKranked said, rubber feels nice and likewise, I had a little more trouble than usual getting it to seat up (I9 Enduro 30.5), but that might have been more related to my valve stem than anything. Not the fastest roller, which isn't terribly surprising, but I will say the sidewall seems pretty stout and holds up well at lower pressures. So far I'm quite happy with the tire. Ideally, I would have the Assguy version up front and the Versatile on the back, but I somehow ordered a Goldilocks sized Assguy so it was donated to Suboptimus for future testing.

which casing do you have? mine are the reinforced casing, i got both the rugged and the versatile. the initial install was a little difficult, but i just set them up on a rim with a tube in it to break it in a little bit. seemed to work. did that 3-4 times, and then the cushcore install wasn't that bad.

i'm running the rugged (assguy) up front and the versatile (dhf) out back. tis a nice combo.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
which casing do you have? mine are the reinforced casing, i got both the rugged and the versatile. the initial install was a little difficult, but i just set them up on a rim with a tube in it to break it in a little bit. seemed to work. did that 3-4 times, and then the cushcore install wasn't that bad.

i'm running the rugged (assguy) up front and the versatile (dhf) out back. tis a nice combo.
I have the "all around" casing, so likely easier than what you have. I'm not running an insert either fwiw. But in an effort to show solidarity, I did mount a new 26" DH casing Shorty recently (with an old school Cushcore insert) and it sucked all the dicks. I tried your trick about using a tube beforehand to stretch it out a bit, and I do think that helped somewhat. Main problem IMO is the 26" Maxxis tires are pretty small volume overall and the OG Cushcore insert takes up almost all the room and prevents me from being able to manipulate the bead into the center of the rim. But thats why they make tire levers I guess.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have the "all around" casing, so likely easier than what you have. I'm not running an insert either fwiw. But in an effort to show solidarity, I did mount a new 26" DH casing Shorty recently (with an old school Cushcore insert) and it sucked all the dicks. I tried your trick about using a tube beforehand to stretch it out a bit, and I do think that helped somewhat. Main problem IMO is the 26" Maxxis tires are pretty small volume overall and the OG Cushcore insert takes up almost all the room and prevents me from being able to manipulate the bead into the center of the rim. But thats why they make tire levers I guess.
are the shorties folding or wire bead? i noticed the wire bead DH34s i have are noticeably more difficult to install than than deliums, which are folding.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Thanks for the heads up about the Deliums, @slimshady. I'm over in the land of Oz, so I'll have to look at shipping and all the rest of it. I don't know whether an other Aussies of laid hands on these @toodles or @HardtailHack ?

On a related note, that website is refreshingly simple to find your way around.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks for the heads up about the Deliums, @slimshady. I'm over in the land of Oz, so I'll have to look at shipping and all the rest of it. I don't know whether an other Aussies of laid hands on these @toodles or @HardtailHack ?

Never heard of Delium tires, tread patterns look pretty decent though.

Where in Aus did you end up?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Never heard of Delium tires, tread patterns look pretty decent though.

Where in Aus did you end up?

They're made in Indonesia. New brand, positioned as a more budget friendly tire. $55 USD for a dh casing, $45usd for everything else. 4 tread patterns (covers xc to dh) and 3 casing options. Most tires are only offered in 2 casing options, mostly because an xc tread doesn't make sense in a dh casing, and vice versa.

Pink bike and loam wolf have reviewed them so far, with positive impressions. From the one day of dh I have on mine I agree their assessments.