Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
They have the Schwalbe "side knobs pointing out" though, as opposed to Conti pointing in. Do not like that (the Schwalbe pointing out).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They have the Schwalbe "side knobs pointing out" though, as opposed to Conti pointing in. Do not like that (the Schwalbe pointing out).
I'll be honest here - I hear you. I hear multiple people mention how Schwalbe fucked up the side knobs. When I look at them, they look wrong. But all the time I ran Magic Marys they were a bloody good front tyre and did nothing wrong. They've won more World Cups now than Assegais I'm pretty sure. They still look wrong but it does not appear to stop them performing well.

I blame the Minion DHF for conditioning my brain to how a tyre should look

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
It's probably ok with properly supported side knobs, but when I last ran Magic Mary, as soon as it dried out and I was trying to hold an edge on hardpack while cornering, I could feel the thing walking out. I don't have that problem with Michelins, Maxxis, or Conti. It's not huge, but once you notice it, it's frustrating and a dealbreaker, at least if you ride hardpack often.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It's probably ok with properly supported side knobs, but when I last ran Magic Mary, as soon as it dried out and I was trying to hold an edge on hardpack while cornering, I could feel the thing walking out. I don't have that problem with Michelins, Maxxis, or Conti. It's not huge, but once you notice it, it's frustrating and a dealbreaker, at least if you ride hardpack often.
I think that's why they developed the Tacky Chan..

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
when I last ran Magic Mary, as soon as it dried out and I was trying to hold an edge on hardpack while cornering, I could feel the thing walking out.
what size tho?
I found the old 2.35s great in most conditions and had a good supportive edge even in completely dry hard pack (yeah. We do actually see that here sometimes). Not too far off a DHF for holding its edge but did break away ever so slightly easier.

dughead

Chimp
Feb 3, 2020
Remember the HR1, and how it was one of the best cornering tires ever made? Ah well, nevermind, I'm sure this one is a vast improvement... In other Maxxis news, they seem to have released a load more DHR II variants, including 27.5 x 2.5WT, and MaxxTerra DH.

I've managed to get hold of a 27.5 x 2.4 MaxxTerra DH, but I can't find the 2.5 in DH casing anywhere. Which is a shame coz I've wanted to try it on the front since it started cropping up on the World Cup circuit a while ago.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
what size tho?
I found the old 2.35s great in most conditions and had a good supportive edge even in completely dry hard pack (yeah. We do actually see that here sometimes). Not too far off a DHF for holding its edge but did break away ever so slightly easier.
It was the current gen 29x2.35, Super Gravity, Ultra Soft. There was one corner in particular where you come in with a ton of speed, there's only a hint of a berm, then a flat dusty exit. That tire wanted to run wide on that corner unlike anything else I've ridden recently (Wild Enduro, Assegai, DHF, Kryptotal, Argotal).