Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
The braking edge on these Continental tires is still much, much better looking than in the original Highrollers, you've got to admit that.

Speaking of Highrollers, last weekend I was trying to bend the sideknobs of HR and HR2 (both 3C) with my fingers, and the HR2 knobs were awfully flexy compared to the original. I really wish they would have made a tire with HR2 center knobs and HR sideknobs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The braking edge on these Continental tires is still much, much better looking than in the original Highrollers, you've got to admit that.
I guess. But why do it at all? Throwing that kind of angle on a tire is certainly never going to HELP you. Know what I mean?

Speaking of Highrollers, last weekend I was trying to bend the sideknobs of HR and HR2 (both 3C) with my fingers, and the HR2 knobs were awfully flexy compared to the original. I really wish they would have made a tire with HR2 center knobs and HR sideknobs.
Me too.

Which is exactly what I said in that blabby review I wrote :D

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I guess. But why do it at all? Throwing that kind of angle on a tire is certainly never going to HELP you. Know what I mean?
Yes, you are right, but if the tire is otherwise really good, I'm ready to compromise angled braking for other qualities. Especially if there are worse designs out there (Highroller) that are still not that bad.

Me too.

Which is exactly what I said in that blabby review I wrote :D
I know you wrote that, but I didn't believe they were that much more flexy until I fiddled with them myself :D

To a different subject, have you ridden both the 2.5" and 2.7" DHF's? Do you feel any difference in them when cornering hard? I have ridden only 2.7" in Supertacky and DH casing and 2.5" in 60a and single ply casing, so the tires are not exactly comparable, but the smaller tire feels more precise and maybe more supporting in corners. Have you noticed this? I'm not sure if that is because of the harder rubber compound or because the sideknobs in 2.5" DHF stick less to the sides, which make them better supported.
Also, is there much difference in cornering with Supertacky and 3C tires? I've never ridden 3C, but if the sideknobs are that much stouter in 3C that it feels better in corners, I may have to shell out the cash for them over the Supertackys in the future.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
To a different subject, have you ridden both the 2.5" and 2.7" DHF's? Do you feel any difference in them when cornering hard? I have ridden only 2.7" in Supertacky and DH casing and 2.5" in 60a and single ply casing, so the tires are not exactly comparable, but the smaller tire feels more precise and maybe more supporting in corners. Have you noticed this? I'm not sure if that is because of the harder rubber compound or because the sideknobs in 2.5" DHF stick less to the sides, which make them better supported.
Also, is there much difference in cornering with Supertacky and 3C tires? I've never ridden 3C, but if the sideknobs are that much stouter in 3C that it feels better in corners, I may have to shell out the cash for them over the Supertackys in the future.
I've ridden 2.5 and 2.7 DHF tires consistently ever since they came out, on all kinds of bikes. It kind of depends on what you mean by 'hard cornering'. Is that berms/banks/ruts, big flat tracker turns, wet dirt/hard pack/moondust/all rock?

In relatively moist dirt, I know exactly what you mean. I just think a thinner stiffer knobbed tire bites into that stuff better than a fatter softer one a lot of the time. That supertacky compound when it's the only thing on the tire is pretty squishy (to use a technical term).

Where I live, where there's very little lasting packed dirt, and very rarely any moisture at all in it, I do prefer the bigger 2.7 in softer rubber (for the front only). The knobs on a 2.5 and 2.7 are the same size......but they're spread out more on the 2.7. So you get a bigger channel, and wider spacing to grab all the dust. Even when a tire penetrates, it's still not supported that well because there's just nothing holding the dirt together...so having that bigger area just grabs better.

The 3Cs are noticeably stiffer than the supertackys. So on a tire like an HR2, it's going to usually be worlds better than a supertacky because those pinner little knobs will have some girth. You should try one out. They really are kind of a middle ground between a 60a and a supertacky in terms of the knobs keeping a level of support.

oh look, the new DIrty Mary won a world cup and rocked the podium thrice :P
Mary? I thought his name was Steve :confused:

Last edited:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I know its not DH but....
Does anyone have any time on a maxxis swampthing? I want a single ply tyre for winter for my XC hardtail. Its a slackish bike that I still ride some DH on but do a fair bit of climbing with. I want a 2.35 I think.
Any other recomendations? I dont think maxxis still do the swampthing do they?

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I've ridden 2.5 and 2.7 DHF tires consistently ever since they came out, on all kinds of bikes. It kind of depends on what you mean by 'hard cornering'. Is that berms/banks/ruts, big flat tracker turns, wet dirt/hard pack/moondust/all rock?
I was speaking about cornering on flat, hardpackish turn with some moisture on the soil. One where you are putting real pressure on the sideknobs.
Maybe I should try the DHF in 2.5" 3C, or the DHR2 in 3C with your front specific cut, I was a bit put off by the flexibility of the HR2 knobs.
That being said, this season I've ridden a Continental Baron on the front, where the rubber compound is really soft and malleable. The sideknobs are not the stiffest as a result, but it was pretty good and really predictable in corners when new. Now that it has developed some cracks at the base of the knobs it has lost some of the predictability, the front has washed out a few times without much warning recently.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
omigod! omigod! omigod!

Looks like continental might be making a real tire soon!

http://bluetoad.com/publication/?m=5014&l=1

page 6-7

Funny. Maxxis years ago and now bontrager and continental are kind of converging on some very central and obvious shared design elements.

It must seriously be because they read all my posts on ridemonkey and not because the design elements actually work worth a damn. I AM that awesome so it doesn't surprise me.

Looks like they may have done some dumb siping on those sideknobs but it also looks like the first even remotely intelligently done tire continental has ever come up with.

Good progress guys!

Take the guy who did this one out back and shoot him

......then fire ritchey schley if you haven't already and you guys will be killing it soon!

edit: guess that's the new derp kaiser™

http://www.alibabike.com/en/tires/7281-continental-der-kaiser-mtb-dh-tire-26x250-folding.html

New for 2010!

Last edited:

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
:) hey its not all bad - its black and its round - they got that bit right! I'll go out on a ledge and say that its even possible that at some random nano second of time, on a random piece of dirt that the random cluster****tard tread arrangement might just actually provide a bit of actual grip - for a brief nano second of time...... Tyres like these favour the lucky.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
What a cool new game - "pick the things wrong with this tyre", with woo as judge.
I go first - ramping of centre knobs opposite to orientation of cornering knobs.
Add reversible direction for front and rear, woo just hates that ****. Rear tyres dont need to steer, fronts dont roll or brake.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
What a cool new game - "pick the things wrong with this tyre", with woo as judge.
I go first - ramping of centre knobs opposite to orientation of cornering knobs.
Add reversible direction for front and rear, woo just hates that ****. Rear tyres dont need to steer, fronts dont roll or brake.
Woo also hates intermediate knobs, especially ones that are so close to the side knobs.

The front direction printed on the sidewall seems truly stupid like you said, the ramps are facing backwards. At least the sideknobs won't be Schwalbed out on that direction :D

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Yesterday I got the Continental Kaiser Projekt 2.4" (they have dropped the Rammstein from the name for some reason) tires and while I can't give riding impressions yet, I noticed the sideknobs are really well supported, and the rubber compound seems somewhat stiffer (but still sticky and slow rebound feeling with the fingers) than in the Continental Der Baron tires or Maxxis Supertacky compound.
I would expect these sideknobs not to fold over in corners. Even the center tread angles do not seem that bad, definitely way better than Highroller, even if it could be smarter still. Can't wait to test these.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
holycow, no discussion on the new Magic Mary and Rock Razor....still time for popcorn then...
I'll bite. I can't wait to throw a Rock Razor on the back of my trail bike. Actually, I will probably put a Magic Mary on the front to go with it. My only problem with the Muddy Mary is that they are squirmy on hard pack.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
There's a reason for that you know. Actually two really blaring ones.

The magic mary will alleviate this how exactly?
The knobs are thicker. More like a cut Dirty Dan.

The Muddy Mary is my go to wet conditions tire. It works well in the range between hero dirt and stuff where you need Wet Screams. If this one still does that and works a bit better on hard pack then that would be a plus. My preferences do line up with yours a bit better for dry condition tires.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
FWIW Squale 2.6 is my favorite DH tire. I hope they leave it unchanged.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
First comment made me remember these:

I never owned any. I wonder how they rode?
They were actually pretty good tires for the back of a trail bike. Decent climbing and braking edges. They're actually a better tread design than a lot of the crap floating around these days. I think I put a hole in the one I had though.

Paging Woo.
enduro obviously requires a different approach to spoke cross patterns. Mixing up lacing patterns on rear hubs always seemed kinda retarded to me. Doing a radial lace anywhere on a rear wheel just seems like asking for a weaker wheel. You're still going to be coasting and banging the crap out of it, so why not go with whatever the stronger setup is on both sides? I dunno....mavic makes some pretty good wheels when those spokes are involved though.

Been pretty in love with my crossmax sx wheels. Only about 100g heaver per set, TWO 21mm wide rims. They're not 1000 bucks though.

Definitely kinda interested in dual ply sub 1000g tires though. That front looks pretty legit.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Definitely kinda interested in dual ply sub 1000g tires though. That front looks pretty legit.
They both look fairly legit. The rear may not work in as wide a range of conditions but there aren't that many fast rolling tires that also have good casings and a reasonable weight.

enduro obviously requires a different approach to spoke cross patterns. Mixing up lacing patterns on rear hubs always seemed kinda retarded to me. Doing a radial lace anywhere on a rear wheel just seems like asking for a weaker wheel. You're still going to be coasting and banging the crap out of it, so why not go with whatever the stronger setup is on both sides? I dunno....mavic makes some pretty good wheels when those spokes are involved though.

Been pretty in love with my crossmax sx wheels. Only about 100g heaver per set, TWO 21mm wide rims. They're not 1000 bucks though.
I don't understand the wheels at all. They should done an anodized version of the SX and slapped the enduro marketing on them.