Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wonder if it's anything to do with handedness/foot preference? i'm odd, in that i write and throw left handed, and prefer to kick left footed, yet bat, play golf, play tennis, play guitar, etc as a right handed person would. if i think about it, i prefer to turn left (where i'll switch to right foot forward) and to ride in general with my left foot forward (although from time to time i'll notice this and practice leading with my right foot). hrmf.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So anyone have a go on the new Michilen DH rubbers yet? This is the only real rider insight I've come across thus far.

Sound pretty awesome, but my God. 1500 grams. No wonder the Mondraker folks say they don't need inserts... I was thinking about giving them a go for my one and only bike but that's about a 1/2 lb. added to each wheel...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So anyone have a go on the new Michilen DH rubbers yet? This is the only real rider insight I've come across thus far.

Sound pretty awesome, but my God. 1500 grams. No wonder the Mondraker folks say they don't need inserts... I was thinking about giving them a go for my one and only bike but that's about a 1/2 lb. added to each wheel...
Yeah, I've got some time on the DH22. They work fine on hardpack, but are utterly ridiculous in softer looser soil — both loamy hero dirt and drier, dustier stuff. Solid braking traction, and cornering grip for days. I haven't really had them in anything wet yet, since apparently it doesn't rain here anymore.

But yeah, the weight. Mine are almost 1500g in 27.5".

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yeah, I've got some time on the DH22. They work fine on hardpack, but are utterly ridiculous in softer looser soil — both loamy hero dirt and drier, dustier stuff. Solid braking traction, and cornering grip for days. I haven't really had them in anything wet yet, since apparently it doesn't rain here anymore.

But yeah, the weight. Mine are almost 1500g in 27.5".
Soooo do you pedal them in any direction other than down and if so is that weight trade-off worth it in any capacity?

20200802_073326.jpg

^ This is an uphill as frame of reference (~700+ft of different flavors of this over 1.6 miles with a small down in the middle of the climb). Down this would be fun, but the actual down this leads to is moar funs. In other words, I don't mind dragging a ~1250 gram tire carcass up things and I appreciate grip, robustness, and having a little extra cushion for the lift day to reduce the risk of needing to re-lace rims afterwards.

But yea.... I'm wondering if 1500 grams crosses the other side of my acceptable tradeoff threshold.....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I mostly ride double down DHR IIs on both ends of my freeride-y bike (which also has a 40 on it) and I pedal a lot. Climbed about 12,000 feet on the thing last weekend.

I've been running one of the Michys up front to try it more (after going full fuck no to riding them on both ends) and am reaching the conclusion that I don't want to pedal them more than 2000 feet or so in a day.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I mostly ride double down DHR IIs on both ends of my freeride-y bike (which also has a 40 on it) and I pedal a lot. Climbed about 12,000 feet on the thing last weekend.

I've been running one of the Michys up front to try it more (after going full fuck no to riding them on both ends) and am reaching the conclusion that I don't want to pedal them more than 2000 feet or so in a day.
Gotcha, so these really are best suited for superhuman enduro pro's or heavily eschewed gravity assisted riding. Perhaps to be considered for a second downhill dedicated wheelset. Otherwise I'm all for putting in a little work, but I'm no masochist...

source.gif

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wife punctured her rear near new 27.5x2.30 Aggressor EXO last night in the rocks, she did similar to the old tyre a month ago.

Any suggestions for something similar before I have to put a 2.3 DD on there? I'd try an EXO+ first if Maxxis made one.

bacon.JPG

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No, but I punctured my DD Aggressor in the same way, same trail.
I can't remember the spot last month, last night was as she was rolling off the bottom of the roman road section in the gut.

Sounds like I should throw on one of the new DHR2 DH casing tyres sitting the basement...
that's a weird lookin' rock! :D

just ordered one of those stans darts in case a similar situation comes up.
I've got a stans dart thing in my camelbak, last night pack free was just a bacon strip plug.
Huh. Punctured EXO, you say? :D
I know how much you appreciate them :D

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I asked my LBS to order a Dart rig for me, no word on when it might arrive.
Got mine via Amazon; it tok maybe 3-4 days. You can get it from Stan's directly, or from other online shops like Worldwide Cyclery, but then you're paying shipping. Shop should be able to get it pretty quick if it's that available elsewhere.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Sounds a tiny bit more applicable than heart weight.
i can definitely turn way harder going left than right.
If you go to the Southern Hemisphere you'll turn the other way better

Huh. Punctured EXO, you say? :D
No joke, I keep whinging but EXO is XC/trail use only. It's too thin. I'm not even super confident with DD. Schwalbe Supergravity is a waaaay better casing.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yup, saw they went live everywhere with that press release. Something is really contradictory though, I would like to see that Big Betty tire in Super Trail casing, but in the written part they say it's only available in Super Gravity or Super Downhill, while the classification posted below says otherwise.

Schwalbe said:
Big Betty

Big Betty is back in the lineup, returning as an aggressive option that works well as a rear tire when paired with a Magic Mary up front. Rectangular center knobs are designed to dig in for braking traction, and the stout side knobs are meant to provide support during hard cornering.

The Big Betty is available with a Super Gravity or Super Downhill casing, with either Addix Soft or Ultra Soft rubber compound. 26” models come in a 2.4” width, while 27.5” and 29” versions are available in 2.4 or 2.6” widths. The actual weight for a 29 x 2.4” Super Gravity version is 1363 grams. MSRP: 59.90 – 67.90 Euro.
schwalbe.jpg

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yup, saw they went live everywhere with that press release. Something is really contradictory though, I would like to see that Big Betty tire in Super Trail casing, but in the written part they say it's only available in Super Gravity or Super Downhill, while the classification posted below says otherwise.
It is specced as Super Trail on the new Commencal Meta TR range.

I'm gonna order and try a Big Betty in Soft Supergravity ASAP. I've been wanting a Schwalbe rear tyre between the Mary and Hans for ages. The Mary is too slow rolling, while the Hans is basically just a trail tyre in terms of grip and longevity IMO.

I've just chucked a 2.5" Assegai on the front to take for a spin today. First impressions are they finally have a Mary-killer in terms of grip and rubber compound.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Did a few laps yesterday on the Assegai (27.5 x 2.5, DD, MaxxGrip), coming straight off a couple years on a 27.5 x 2.35" Ultra Soft SuperGravity Magic Mary. The Assegai is a bigger tyre clearly, but its the closest I can get for a like-for-like.

The rubber on the MaxxGrip Assegai is soft. Really soft - like the thumbnail durometer test compared to a brand new Ultra Soft Mary is noticeably softer. The DD casing is more flexible/compliant as well. I wonder if it is as thick as a Supergravity, I forgot to try to measure it.

A couple of scary-ish moments on the first two laps till I burnt off that shiny uselessness that new tyres have. After that I'd put it right in the same boat as the MM grip wise. Over rocks and gravel it works every bit as well, and a bit of light rain meant I got to check it on some diagonal wood obstacles and roots which it handled well. It rolls no worse than the Mary, I'd say maybe even better. Braking is very similar, maybe better as well. The most apparent thing was a bit more squirm on hard surfaces but also an appreciably more muted/soft ride - I'm guessing the larger tyre diameter and softer casing contributed to less chatter being fed back.

Supergravity casings are really stiff compared to the DD so that could cause more trail feedback? I dunno. The 2.35 MM and 2.5 Assegai aren't thaaaaat much different in size that i would expect so much difference in trail feel. My left hand is completely munted from 4 broken bones and a few surgeries so I appreciated the extra comfort and compliance.

Either way, I think I'd be happy to just run with either of them at this stage. If we get a really solidly wet day soon I'll report back on proper muddy roots and rocks. The Mary was mind-blowing the first time I tried it in the wet, so we'll see if the Maxxis works as well.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also I noticed the new Schwalbe line-up they show the Magic Mary as 27.5 x 2.4 rather 2.35. I wonder if they actually changed the size or if its just naming change. They were already a bloody large 2.35.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Did a few laps yesterday on the Assegai (27.5 x 2.5, DD, MaxxGrip), coming straight off a couple years on a 27.5 x 2.35" Ultra Soft SuperGravity Magic Mary. The Assegai is a bigger tyre clearly, but its the closest I can get for a like-for-like.

The rubber on the MaxxGrip Assegai is soft. Really soft - like the thumbnail durometer test compared to a brand new Ultra Soft Mary is noticeably softer. The DD casing is more flexible/compliant as well. I wonder if it is as thick as a Supergravity, I forgot to try to measure it.

A couple of scary-ish moments on the first two laps till I burnt off that shiny uselessness that new tyres have. After that I'd put it right in the same boat as the MM grip wise. Over rocks and gravel it works every bit as well, and a bit of light rain meant I got to check it on some diagonal wood obstacles and roots which it handled well. It rolls no worse than the Mary, I'd say maybe even better. Braking is very similar, maybe better as well. The most apparent thing was a bit more squirm on hard surfaces but also an appreciably more muted/soft ride - I'm guessing the larger tyre diameter and softer casing contributed to less chatter being fed back.

Supergravity casings are really stiff compared to the DD so that could cause more trail feedback? I dunno. The 2.35 MM and 2.5 Assegai aren't thaaaaat much different in size that i would expect so much difference in trail feel. My left hand is completely munted from 4 broken bones and a few surgeries so I appreciated the extra comfort and compliance.

Either way, I think I'd be happy to just run with either of them at this stage. If we get a really solidly wet day soon I'll report back on proper muddy roots and rocks. The Mary was mind-blowing the first time I tried it in the wet, so we'll see if the Maxxis works as well.
What's the inner width of your rims? How's the Assegai on the climbs? The max terra versions are quite affordable here but I have to climb a bit to get to some worthwhile descents.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What's the inner width of your rims? How's the Assegai on the climbs? The max terra versions are quite affordable here but I have to climb a bit to get to some worthwhile descents.
Inner width is only 25mm (DT EX471). I don't think the profile is too bad but it could cause the squirm? I'd like to try one on a 30mm width rim. Climbing isn't normally as affected by front tyre.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Inner width is only 25mm (DT EX471). I don't think the profile is too bad but it could cause the squirm? I'd like to try one on a 30mm width rim. Climbing isn't normally as affected by front tyre.
I run a maxxgripp on a 30mm rim, IMHO I wouldn't want a wider rim with this tire. But I do run cushcore.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Anyone have anytime on an E13 Simi slick? Or is there better one? I don't like the side knobs on the Agressor.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Anyone have anytime on an E13 Simi slick? Or is there better one? I don't like the side knobs on the Agressor.
I have the endurbro single-ply S/S and I would not recommend. Air leaking sidewalls, the first tire I pinch flatted after many other rear tires, the casing is warped. The side knobs are better than of the Aggressor but that bar is way low.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have the endurbro single-ply S/S and I would not recommend. Air leaking sidewalls, the first tire I pinch flatted after many other rear tires, the casing is warped. The side knobs are better than of the Aggressor but that bar is way low.
Thanks, definitely not worth it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I didn't mind minion ss, moved to aggressor for better breaking in the kitty litter. I also ran the rock razor ss before that.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is the Wild RockR / RockR2 Enduro discontinued or is this just a corona supply chain issue? I'm only seeing 26" in stock, but I'm shopping for the man sized one.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's called the Rock'R2 Enduro now. Fucking Michelin. :disgust1:
Probably about 15 years ago I tried a Michelin tire you recommended. On the second ride the whole sidewall came unzipped almost the full circumference while descending through some rocks during a race I was in the lead. Haven't trusted you or Michelin ever since.

Last edited: