Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Finally built up the bike that I had the Delium reserved for. I have the Rugged (Assguy) in the all around casing on the front. Seated it with a high volume floor pump without any sealant in about 30 seconds (i9 305 enduro rim). I can't remember the last time I did that. Just tooling around it feels nice. Hoping to escape a work avalanche to slash some real turns this weekend.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Finally built up the bike that I had the Delium reserved for. I have the Rugged (Assguy) in the all around casing on the front. Seated it with a high volume floor pump without any sealant in about 30 seconds (i9 305 enduro rim). I can't remember the last time I did that. Just tooling around it feels nice. Hoping to escape a work avalanche to slash some real turns this weekend.
I was pleasantly surprised about being able to seat the Deliums with a floor pump as well. I guess it's one of the upsides to a tight bead.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Had a first ride and was pretty happy with my rugged delium up front. Things were a little moist/slick and no surprises coming from riding a 3C asseguy. Time will tell as to how they hold up, but at this price point, pretty hard to argue with Delium on a cost / performance basis. Will definitely get more in the future to explore their whole line up.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What tyre, if any would work well on very hard slippery mud? Like something super slick, but still too hard for tyres to cut in or even for knobs to penetrate? I guess maybe low organic mud, high clay content would describe it best.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Just quick update. I ended up with a 26" DH Maxxgrip dhr2 for the trip to thunder. Definitely not the fastest, but being I spent most of my time on tech trails the grip in rear was very welcome. Balances much better with the Maxxgrip Assegai up front, than the 60a which was more rudder than anything.

As for grip on low organics / high silt clay, ya - No. Our now closed "local" hill was this type of clay. Water does not penitrate the surface but does turn any surface dust into high quality grease ontop of cement like hardpack. Deep dust becomes peanut butter grease. It takes very little water to make it deadly, but quite along time to dry out. Riding on it is nigh on impossible even doing the two leg pontoon dance.

Sorry.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Have had a bunch more rides on the Delium rugged front and am really liking it. The mid-toughness carcass is great and lets me run pretty low pressures without issue (low 20's). I've had it in wet, hero dirt and loose dust over hardpack and it has been very trustworthy in all of them. Next test will be running one in the rear but I'm optimistic they will stand up well based on how supportive the front has been. If anyone is on the fence about trying them out, go for it.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Keep us posted on the long run grip evolution. From the cut away pics it looks like the triple compound of old with the soft and grippy rubber only at the outer most layer on the tread blocks and if that's gone the grip is as well, especially in the wet.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone ever had an issue with the sidewalls on maxxis dh tyres being far from airtight?

This is a newly installed 27.5 dhr2 dh casing, both sides of the tyres sidewall appear to be leaking air when I test with soapy water.
20220622_091933.jpg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That’s some circa-2008 BS. I think old Kendas were known for that. I haven’t had that happen with any Maxxis, though I don’t run DH casing anymore.

QC issue / Warranty claim.

Anyone ever had an issue with the sidewalls on maxxis dh tyres being far from airtight?

This is a newly installed 27.5 dhr2 dh casing, both sides of the tyres sidewall appear to be leaking air when I test with soapy water.
View attachment 178087

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That’s some circa-2008 BS. I think old Kendas were known for that. I haven’t had that happen with any Maxxis, though I don’t run DH casing anymore.

QC issue / Warranty claim.
I agree. Problem is they'll want proof of purchase and I think it's been sitting on my spares shelf for at least 2+ years now and it was either a US or German online purchase.

So it's beyond their 12 month from purchase warranty and if I supply a batch code from a German delivered tyre I'd also be SOL.

Annoyingly I've got another new one that's probably the same batch :/

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Sealant won't seal those?
I'm trying now.

First time mounting the tyre and insert the tape got nicked by a spoke hole and effed it up. I'd used soapy water then to work out where the leak was coming from, spoke hole said effed tape but it also showed the sidewalls to be sieves.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Had a DH Assegai do about half of what you are showing. That surprised me more than the couple of EXO/+ (DHR2 and Dissector) that had a half dozen pea sized spots each side. The DH DHR2 I just put on the big bike was clean. Not a dot of sidewall sealant to be found.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not for everyone, but hard to beat this deal

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’m looking for a dry conditions rear tire suggestions for something that rolls quicker than a DHR or similar pattern. I would love a DHF in 2.4” for rear use but the current DHF 2.5” WT is a bit bloated and too round in my opinion.
Currently I go back and forth between DHRs and Butchers.

What other rear tires should I look at for summer loose and loose over hard? Soft or medium compounds preferred over super soft.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I’m looking for a dry conditions rear tire suggestions for something that rolls quicker than a DHR or similar pattern. I would love a DHF in 2.4” for rear use but the current DHF 2.5” WT is a bit bloated and too round in my opinion.

What other rear tires should I look at for summer loose and loose over hard? Soft or medium compounds preferred over super soft.
I really like the Hutchinson Griffus 2.4 as a dry conditions rear tire. Their 2x casing is DD-ish.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Dissector

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Any feedback on the latest Spesh Grid Trail casing? Thinking of running a Butcher in Grid Trail casing as a front tire with a Grid Gravity in back on the enduro bike. Will be seeing a lot of rocks.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Any feedback on the latest Spesh Grid Trail casing? Thinking of running a Butcher in Grid Trail casing as a front tire with a Grid Gravity in back on the enduro bike. Will be seeing a lot of rocks.
Butcher doesn’t support aggressively leaning over. It breaks away suddenly at very moderate angles and doesn’t bite again.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We nicknamed those things Passive Aggressors. They're functional but neither great rolling or great grip.
Maybe only fat guy approved (I'm fat)? It seems to work well on dirt, no complaints really, after using a few and coking from DHR2.

Downsides to me are less braking grip than the DHR2 and the knobs felt a little squirmy when climbing smooth rock slabs.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Im good with the tread pattern, just not sure about the casing - ie is it more similar to EXO or EXO+
The 2.6 Grid Trail on my buddy’s ebike that I did one ride on and hated felt like EXO in terms of paper thin sidewalls.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
From NSMB - https://nsmb.com/articles/stuff-we-saw-at-crankworx/

"Maxxis has got a new 'DH Park Spec' Minion they were showing in 27.5 and 29 x 2.40. It's built with a DH casing, wire bead, and Dual Compound tread and is going to retail at 80 USD / 108 CAD. Rumours of other popular treads coming to life in DH Park Spec were not addressed. "
From PB on the same topic, someone linked there's a Magic Mary Park version.