Quantcast

Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
From PB on the same topic, someone linked there's a Magic Mary Park version.

There has been a park/rental tire config by Schwalbe 15 yrs ago and it was utterly shit. So my expectations are not on the highest level.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There has been a park/rental tire config by Schwalbe 15 yrs ago and it was utterly shit. So my expectations are not on the highest level.
15 years ago I'm sure I was running 26" Slow Reezay 2.5 DHFs with tubes F&R cos Sam Hill. I think tyres have progressed slightly since then

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
15 years ago I'm sure I was running 26" Slow Reezay 2.5 DHFs with tubes F&R cos Sam Hill. I think tyres have progressed slightly since then
I don't think so. The Slow Reezay compound was the bee's knees on wet roots, I don't think any current compound can match it. Tires were wearing super fast though.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Continental threw away a few as-new pairs of the new Argotal DH supersoft at MSA and I snagged a pair. I'm using the 40a Mopo compound from E13 ans the Conti SuperSoft is even stickier. It feels sticky when holding the tire by the tread so I'm thinking it will be awesome on wet roots and rocks.

Also, the sidewalls seem a bit thin for DH application, but the insert near the bead seems to be pretty neat. 1290g for the folding DH version isn't bad either.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone on newer design Contis want to give us a mini review?
Kryptotal front and rear, DH casings, Super Soft front / Soft rear:

Braking performance is great, and they corner and drift predictably. I do wish the front was a little more round — cornering grip at really high lean angles starts to fall off a bit, and it feels like you can kind of lean past the side knobs a bit. This is on 30mm inner width rims.

It's been bone dry here so I have zero idea how they do in any flavor of wet. Overall pretty good, especially for the price.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Anyone try the continental argotal tires yet? I believe this is the tire top dh finishers were on of late.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone try the continental argotal tires yet? I believe this is the tire top dh finishers were on of late.
I've got one but haven't mounted it yet. Looks promising as a softer/wetter condition front tire, but it'll (probably) be a few months before that makes much sense around here.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I just got a pair but haven't mounted them up yet. See my post up for my first impressions on the Super soft compound and DH casing. I have another pair of tires to use up before mounting the Argotal so don't hold your breath, it might just be next year at the rate I'm riding this season.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I ordered a pair of the Enduro casing Kryptotals (Fr/Re) to try once I finish wearing out my current DD Assegai/DHR. The front one is still backordered but the rear arrived. Knobs seem bigger / taller compared to DHR. The Enduro casing one runs about 100g less than a DD. I don't have an unmounted DD to feel side by side, but going by memory it sort of feels like the casing is a bit thinner, but at the same time a bit stiffer, at least near the bead. It might be more like an EXO++.

IMG_2770.JPG

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That interview also mentions that Maxxis has a pro-only casing that is heavier duty than the commercial DH casing.

I really wanna try a new 2.4 DHF on the rear of my bike with that 2.5 DHR2 in front.

Wait so the 2.5 DHR2 is going to stay pro-only? Fuck!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
What's the consensus on the new Grid Gravity casings for DH? The new Butcher tired appear to be great value if the casing is worth a damn.

I really value a good and tough casing and loved the new Michelin tires, but have found that the casing degrades pretty significantly over time which really reduces the initial protection that the tire provides.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
who makes a 24" dh tire in a dh casing? maxxis makes the dhf in 24" but its exo. planning on taking my son to the bike park this fall. yes there are trails he can handle, but id rather he have some better tires than a kenda all around mtb tire.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
found that vee tire makes the flow snap in 24". dhf ish tread pattern, dh casing, 2.4". i even found them for $27 each which is a really good price.
As an FYI, I thought the 'adult' version of the tire was plain old bad. Profile was too round and wonky side knobs/transition/lean angle stuff going on. Tire only liked corners that were banked. There is an intersection at Thunder we call the octopus and it has a slight camber section you enter into where people usually come to a stop. The tire was dangerous on this camber. Never even considered that this camber section could present an issue for a tire since I'd literally ride through it without an afterthought on any other tire I've had. Tires went straight in the trash after 1 day at a bike park.

With all of this said, probably doesn't matter how much the flow snap sucks IMO if it's a little kiddo riding them. I'm sure he'll be stoked just to have new tires and ride with pops

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Picked up some Grid Gravity T9 Butchers. Felt similar to a DD casing in the hand. Tossed a Vittoria pool noodle in the rear since I'm getting tired a replacing rims despite the limited riding I do.

Looking forward to a proper shakedown.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As an FYI, I thought the 'adult' version of the tire was plain old bad. Profile was too round and wonky side knobs/transition/lean angle stuff going on. Tire only liked corners that were banked. There is an intersection at Thunder we call the octopus and it has a slight camber section you enter into where people usually come to a stop. The tire was dangerous on this camber. Never even considered that this camber section could present an issue for a tire since I'd literally ride through it without an afterthought on any other tire I've had. Tires went straight in the trash after 1 day at a bike park.

With all of this said, probably doesn't matter how much the flow snap sucks IMO if it's a little kiddo riding them. I'm sure he'll be stoked just to have new tires and ride with pops
i definitely thought about that too. for the trails he'll be riding they will be fine. there's 2 super mellow trails at the bike park i ride that he'll have a blast on, even with a hardtail. but the surface is mostly rock so i want him on a heavier casing with better tread than kenda tires that came on his bike, which i question how well they will hold up at the bike park. they're also a touch larger too (2.4 vs 2.2, and his bike has plenty of clearance for them). he's only like 60 lbs, and doesn't need high tire pressure. besides, he's only 7. i didn't really wanna drop coin on pricey tires if he winds up not being into it (unlikely, he's enjoyed the trail rides ive taken him on so far, and was into the gopro video of the trail I'd be taking him on). if he wears these tires out then I'll gladly get better ones.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Interesting.
The Vee Flow Snap WCE is my all time favorite front tire!
Easily out grips every other front tire I've ever tried.
Only one that's come close on the front is Assegai DH Maxx Grip.
Banked corners/berms are not what I tend to ride, I'm more techy gnar with roots rocks & off camber.

dughead

Chimp
Feb 3, 2020
Are Maxxis really only doing the bike park casing in 29? No 27.5 on their website or in the shops. Pretty disappointing if so.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Anyone else on the deliums notice they are slippery new? I only got 3 runs on them so far but any time I was on hard pack they felt like they had no grip, like a car tire that still has mold release on it. In softer stuff they dug in and felt normal.

maybe it’s normal for all tires but I’ve never noticed it because hard packed machine trails don’t exist autos me outside of the park so my tires are normally well broken in before they get run on it.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Best place to order Schwalbe tires from? Figure the dollar is strong. Might stock up.
While I have not checked recently, I have used all of these guys at different times.
My normal routine is to see who has stock in what I want with the best combo of price and shipping and go from there. Last tire order was from R2 this summer.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
While I have not checked recently, I have used all of these guys at different times.
My normal routine is to see who has stock in what I want with the best combo of price and shipping and go from there. Last tire order was from R2 this summer.

Thanks!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Best place to order Schwalbe tires from? Figure the dollar is strong. Might stock up.
Check the good deals thread. I just snagged a set of Schwalbes from Merlin for pretty cheap. Their supply wasn't really broad though so they may not have what you want, but worth a look.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Mmmm, she a joocy one, albeit a bit heavy for the ass end. :panic:

got any thoughts to report?

I'd like to order some wet weather rubber, and I'm hesitating between this and the nobby nic in the back. at time of year, most of my riding is up and down, and not strictly (or even mostly) gravity-fed...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Pretty much exactly how I do this, going to do a Maxxis order shortly.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
got any thoughts to report?

I'd like to order some wet weather rubber, and I'm hesitating between this and the nobby nic in the back. at time of year, most of my riding is up and down, and not strictly (or even mostly) gravity-fed...
i hated the nn in the rear to climb. Basically no grip on wet roots or rocks.