Quantcast

...completely mystified by the concept of "backpacking"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Just, why?

Why why why?

Why is it the cool thing to go "backpacking across europe?" Europe might be neat and all, but...why is that a vacation idea for people? I mean, why not "go visit"
They have trains. Do people really walk that freaking far? Why?

Backpackers are to me what Nalgene water bottles are to stosh.

Honestly, she a little light on this for me folks, cause i just dont see it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Hmm. I guess if one liked being in the wilderness, but was not inclined to ride mountain bikes, one would find something like backpacking to fill that desire. Personally I wouldn't do it, it sounds boring.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Echo
Hmm. I guess if one liked being in the wilderness, but was not inclined to ride mountain bikes, one would find something like backpacking to fill that desire. Personally I wouldn't do it, it sounds boring.
I thought you "hiked" in the wilderness, but backpacked as a form of transit.

Could be wrong though.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I thought when people backpacked across Europe they did ride the trains, hitchhiked, etc... & didnt actually hike across europe.

I could be wrong though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by TN
I thought when people backpacked across Europe they did ride the trains, hitchhiked, etc... & didnt actually hike across europe.

I could be wrong though.
Well, i dunno. I mean, i assumed that backpacking was just walking with a backpack on your back to get somewhere. Otherwise youd just be "traveling"

I like "hiking" some, but "backpacking" sounds like hobby cancer.

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
back packing is... well interesting, i would never do it all though it is fun to go hiking. when you go back packing you ride trains if you have money and walk and hitch hike if you dont it still sounds dumb though

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
it's urban backpacking, like Fred kinda said.

The idea is to be as self-sufficient as possible. You buy a eurorail pass and you're good to go. You crash wherever you can find a place -- meeting locals, for example -- or run the hostels.

Europe's awesome and I recommend visiting it... take a month or more if you can.

I backpack, there are so many cool places that you aren't allowed to ride a bike, so I backpack through them. There's nothing like knowing that you're out there with everything you need to survive for a week strapped to your back, me and a buddy are planning to celebrate our getting the Eagle rank in Boy Scouts by going for a trip where we pack nothing but a couple of packs of top ramen and some cliff bars and goin out for a 50mi back packing trip (our target time is 3 or less days)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by LordOpie

Europe's awesome and I recommend visiting it... take a month or more if you can.
I am going to Poland to visit Dasha, but I wont be living out of a backpack. Ill have a hotel room.

I dont care to strap a bunch of crap to my bike for survival. Ive done that before and didnt enjoy it very much for weeks at a time.

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
Originally posted by drtbikrr
I backpack, there are so many cool places that you aren't allowed to ride a bike, so I backpack through them. There's nothing like knowing that you're out there with everything you need to survive for a week strapped to your back, me and a buddy are planning to celebrate our getting the Eagle rank in Boy Scouts by going for a trip where we pack nothing but a couple of packs of top ramen and some cliff bars and goin out for a 50mi back packing trip (our target time is 3 or less days) [/Q]

what u bin smokin boy?:evil: :evil:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I can see why you are confused, Hawaii being only like 10 miles across there probably isn't much backcountry over there.

Backpacking across a country usually involves amounts of walking, hitchhiking, and public transportation. It's cheap and you can meet a ton of people. I'm planning on backpacking through a bit of New Zealand this December after studying in Australia.

Backpacking in my mind though includes lots of backcountry travel. You subsist on what you can carry and what you can make from your surroundings. You get to commune with nature and all that other hippie **** or just pass the time with a good friend. A few years ago I went to a lake up in the Sierras that averages less then 100 visitors a year. It was pristine, clear blue water, tons of fish, no noise, beautiful views of mountains and rivers, I loved it and was in awe at the fact that I was only on of a 100 people who made it there that year.

Since coming to college I've realized the outdoors isn't for everyone. I find happiness there and that's important to me. Seeing the world as it "was" and without human touch is a bit of joy that I can cherish. It might be a bit of a holier-than-thou position, but I feel like I am more a part of this world when I travel it without the mechanical devices everyone else uses so often.....of course saying this as I type on a computer and listen to my mp3's I'm a bit hypocritical.

Backpacking is fun, it's a cheap way to see areas and people you probably would never see otherwise.

The Ito

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by BurlySurly

I dont care to strap a bunch of crap to my bike for survival. Ive done that before and didnt enjoy it very much for weeks at a time.
then why did you join the army? :confused:

where in poland are you going? we were toying w/ going to waclaw or warsaw w/ our polish babysitter

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by narlus
then why did you join the army? :confused:

where in poland are you going? we were toying w/ going to waclaw or warsaw w/ our polish babysitter
that's what I meant, living out of my backpack (not bike) in the Marines, aint exactly fun.

But yeah, Warsaw is where I want to go, but then of course travel around a bit from there...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
don't let those liberal euros twist yr mind. :p

you gonna stay around eastern europe and check out the new EU countries, or head west/north/south?

we are on the verge of booking a trip to prague in early august.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I do a lot of backpacking...We often go into the woods for 4-5 days with my friends GPS unit (and a bottle of JD) to get to remote streams and ponds to fish.

I grew up along the Appalachian trail so backpacking is nothing new to me...my goal is to do the entire AT in 2006. 5.5 months of living in the woods and 2200 miles to walk...Georgia to Maine!!!

Tom

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by eric strt6
LOL he'd wander into the red light district and never come out
Please, dude. Ive been to thailand and hope to god i never have to go back. That whole country is one big red light district.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Just, why?

Why why why?

Why is it the cool thing to go "backpacking across europe?" Europe might be neat and all, but...why is that a vacation idea for people? I mean, why not "go visit"
They have trains. Do people really walk that freaking far? Why?

Backpackers are to me what Nalgene water bottles are to stosh.

Honestly, she a little light on this for me folks, cause i just dont see it.

Ha, at least someone understood my post 5 months ago. Good analogy.

It's like that Land Rover commerical where the 2 dudes are "backpacking" and they are going to live off the grid but then they get picked up by a couple in a Land Rover and decided they want to put that grand idea off so they can buy a Land Rover. They probably had Nalgene bottles in their backpacks and just got done eating McDonalds adult happy meals.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Please, dude. Ive been to thailand and hope to god i never have to go back. That whole country is one big red light district.
How do you get anywhere? Do they eventually turn green? Man the traffic must suck.

J/K

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Several of my friends have done the backpacking across Europe thing... but I think I'd be too afraid to do it. I don't think I trust humankind enough to put myself out there on foot with everything I need to live strapped onto my back... relying on the kindness of strangers.... Kudos to those who can, though.

I also cannot possibly imagine a time where I could afford to not work for a month and traipse around instead!