Quantcast

Completely Unexpected World Events

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
something that everyone already knows.
None of my doctors knew this, or if they did, they didn't say anything.
Our findings reveal that even after >5years, polytraumatized patients still suffer from persisting pain and functional impairments. We also demonstrate that negative socioeconomic effects were associated with emotional repercussions. When rehabilitating these patients, it is not enough to just treat the injuries’ physical symptoms. Their emotional consequences should also be identified, as they are apt to benefit from long-term therapy.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Which doctors tho? The ones that treat physical symptoms and issues?
Any of them? There were dozens.

I dunno, just seems to me like that maybe part of any long term hospital, "multiple major trauma" stay ought to at least include a 5 minute conversation about some psychological therapy. I know I'm lucky in that in the preceding years I didn't at some point end up 1: divorced 2: jobless 3: jailed 4: dead at my own hand. It's hard for anyone to admit they need, and/or seek therapy on their own. Some early prodding by a medical professional might have helped me get a hold of things before they got real bad. Truth be told, it might benefit me to do some more.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Any of them? There were dozens.

I dunno, just seems to me like that maybe part of any long term hospital, "multiple major trauma" stay ought to at least include a 5 minute conversation about some psychological therapy. I know I'm lucky in that in the preceding years I didn't at some point end up 1: divorced 2: jobless 3: jailed 4: dead at my own hand. It's hard for anyone to admit they need, and/or seek therapy on their own. Some early prodding by a medical professional might have helped me get a hold of things before they got real bad. Truth be told, it might benefit me to do some more.
I am lucky that my cardiologist was up front and let me know that upwards of 50% of open heart patients experience some sort of depression within the first 6 months. At first I was stubborn but she was persistant and finally successful, then I find out that there are only 2 qualified behavior therapists in all of Great Falls and the earliest appointment I could get is the end of July. I feel like I should be able to get away with something serious in the meantime. :)

Not to suggest the two are similar because they are not, there seems to better care associated with conditions that have predictable and consistent outcomes.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think the issue is that "health care" needs to be comprehensive. No one expects the open heart surgeon to be a psychologist as well, but modern US health care has become so "compartmentalized" that this stuff falls right through the cracks. Not that it was better before, but as specialties get more and more specific, who makes sure the entire person is treated?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dog Mauls Family After They Try to Dress It in a Christmas Sweater

https://www.yahoo.com/style/dog-mauls-family-try-dress-194908090.html

A pit bull mix named Scarface attacked its owner on Friday after she tried to put a Christmas sweater on it, police confirm to PEOPLE.

Police said the dog attacked 52-year-old Brenda Guerrero, biting her arm, in the back yard of her Tampa, Florida, home when she tried to put a Christmas sweater on it, WABC reports.

Guerrero’s husband, Ismael, and their 22-year-old son tried to help the woman but were both attacked by the dog.

“Officers responding said the dog was pretty aggressive,” Eddy Durkin with the Tampa Police Department told WABC. “When they tazed the dog, the dog was still pulling away and was able to release the prongs from the tazer.

The couple’s son reportedly stabbed the dog in an effort to stop the attack, WFLA reports.

All three escaped the house, leaving the dog in the backyard, according to WTSP. They were all reportedly treated for their injuries at a local hospital, with authorities calling Guerrero’s serious but not life-threatening.

Animal Control officials responded to the scene and shot the pit bull with a tranquilizer gun, according to WTSP. The dog managed to get into the home, where there were two children present.

Authorities eventually managed to subdue the dog using a bean bag gun and stun gun and captured it with a catch pole, WTSP reports.

It is unclear whether the dog will be euthanized.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My idiot nephew was working TSA in Denver. He claims he got let go/fired with no prior warning after being rated fully succesful during his first year there. I listened to his excuses while he was at the house, and then told the Frau it was all bullshit after he left. To my surprise, she agreed...how fucking dumb must one be to get fired by one of the dumbest activities in the country?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My idiot nephew was working TSA in Denver. He claims he got let go/fired with no prior warning after being rated fully succesful during his first year there. I listened to his excuses while he was at the house, and then told the Frau it was all bullshit after he left. To my surprise, she agreed...how fucking dumb must one be to get fired by one of the dumbest activities in the country?
Almost guaranteed he failed a whiz quiz.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I would get fired by TSA in about ten minutes...but for other reasons.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I doubt it actually...he is the type that is scared to smoke because it might turn him into a hippy. I think he was just a douche of an employee...incompetent and stupid, unwilling to take direction and correction.
The TSA in Denver is the most incompetent organization I have seen. At least 3 employees standing around drooling on themselves doing nothing for every one actually doing a shitty job.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
The TSA in Denver is the most incompetent organization I have seen. At least 3 employees standing around drooling on themselves doing nothing for every one actually doing a shitty job.
Apparently there will now be at least 2 now standing around drooling on themselves.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've been through a lot of them.

That was definitely one of the worst.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
In his defense, it is an organization that seems like it would drive out competency as it is a threat to the masses.
As a general rule, I am a believer in, and defender of, the role of government. But if any organization is ever going to drive me off the cliff and turn me into some sort of GOP, gun toting, mouth breathing Reagan-ite, it's the TSA. The agency seems bound and determined to be the living embodiment of every right-wing "Government is bad" talking point.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Not to continue the nephew bashing, but this is the kid who, many years ago, started a bloody fight with his brother over what to watch on the tv. At Thanksgiving. With a house full of guests. After which I walked around the house, counting idiot boxes. There was 6 televisions for a 4 person home. Yet he had to have the special one. He lived in his mums basement until he was 24, with no intent on moving out until he got hired by TSA. The problems with this one started a long time ago...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not to continue the nephew bashing, but this is the kid who, many years ago, started a bloody fight with his brother over what to watch on the tv. At Thanksgiving. With a house full of guests. After which I walked around the house, counting idiot boxes. There was 6 televisions for a 4 person home. Yet he had to have the special one. He lived in his mums basement until he was 24, with no intent on moving out until he got hired by TSA. The problems with this one started a long time ago...
Too late at this point for a late-term abortion?