Quantcast

Components for a n00b

crunch123

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
What's up guys~

Noob alert! I'm new, so please go easy on me.....:monkey:

Alright, so I bought my self a Jackal frame and am now starting to collect parts for the build up. No exactly any bike parks around me here just some bashing in rocky areas and some light downhill or 4x.

So what are some recommanded equipment for me? What's the deal with dual crown forks on the Jackal? And lastly, tires.....how fat can I go?

I've always like bikes with dual crowns and fat tires.......drool....
Sorry about the million Q's........hope to pick up a few pointers here. :imstupid:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i think a DC voids the warrenty. no real need for one on a jackal imo. look at rock shox's pike or totem, fox 36 (preferably tallas), zokie Z.1, DJ, 4X, or maybe 66 sl. all of these would work fine, but the jackal is made to be more of a DJ HT, and will ride better set up as one. i don't think you can fit bigger then a 2.5 tire in the rear, nore would i want to.

crunch123

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Thanks man.....no worries on the warrenty....this is a used frame I picked up.

Thanks for the tips....I'll keep searching.

Cheers~!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
a 36 talas would be perfect because of the travel adjustment. the bike will ride best with about 100-130mm of travel up front, though the warranty covers long travel forks too, and that headtube junction is bomber. a 2.3 rear tire and 2.5 front would be the most tire i'd recommend on that bike, for dj riding i'd say 2.1 rear and 2.3 front. remember, the beefier everything gets, the heavier the bike will be. 2.5 tires with dh (steel) beads weigh in at about 1200-1300 grams, and with 600 gram dh tubes in each wheel, you're looking at about 4.5-5 lbs of rubber per wheel. the problem is, all of that is rotating weight, so you will notice that weight more than any other weight on your bike. make sure that you consult people before going out and buying all of the burliest parts you can find because a 40lb hardtail is virtually impossible to ride 4X with, and it will not handle the way that you want it to.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Stay single crown with the hard tail, and try to get a fork with travel adjustment. You'll have a more all around steed.

crunch123

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Thanks for all the reply guys~

The reason I was thinking about going dual crown was due the fact that I'm seeing some good used ones locally at pretty good deals. (and I so like the "bling" in them.....:imstupid: )

Anyways, I'm so excited about this build.:monkeydance:

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
in my opinion the jackal road like crap with a taller fork, I know they say you can, but I never ran my fork taller then 100mm's anything taller killed the handling and just made the bike ride like a chopper in general.

I'd def. recommend something that you can take down to atleast 100mm and I'd say go no more then 150mm.... but I would not put a 150mm travel dedicated fork on it.

and def. no dual crown... tire clearance was a non issue so you can def. fit fat tires if that's what you want....

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
445mm axle to crown is 69.5 deg.
445mm div 25.4 is 17.5 - 12.5 for tire height - 1'' for crown = 4'' fork.

i would not get anything taller than a 4'' for with a 69.5 head already.
for every 3/4'' or travel you will loose a deg at the head angle. so if you put a 6'' fork on there it will be a 67 deg head!
it will turn like the titanic!

crunch123

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Thanks guys~! I'm really learning here. Now onto my 2nd questions.

24" Vs. 26": I've searched all over the place and couldn't find anything. What are the pros and cons of 24 and 26?

Man, I feel like a 12 year old asking a million whys...:disgust:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
24 are better for anything with quick jumps ramps, they fit better.
24's have less gyro and are easyer to pull tricks on x,360,180...

26's wheels are better for rolling over obsticles, and provide a larger
contact patch for more traction.