Quantcast

Compression devices for forks-24/26. what are you using?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
just curious what you guys use to tighten down the front end. regular star nut, headlocks, hope head doctor, something else i don't know about? ive used a headlock for almost six years but just switched to the hope head doctor. its a nice little device but tends to loosen up on me after a couple rides. not to the point of coming off, just that tiny wobble i can't stand. is there something that works better than what i have? thanks

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
used to use the headlock - but stopped because its way too heavy.
starnut now - but i know the tiny wobble u're talking about, i always have it, no matter how tight the starnut is.
perhaps my chris king is messed up somehow?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I've got a Hope Head doctor on my Fox 36Van too and it works just fine without ever loosening up. It's with a dangerboy stem...

On my street rig, I run a reg. star-nut and it's fine too... (one in the '06 DJ2 and one in the Identiti Rebate).

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
I've got a Hope Head doctor on my Fox 36Van too and it works just fine without ever loosening up. It's with a dangerboy stem...

On my street rig, I run a reg. star-nut and it's fine too... (one in the '06 DJ2 and one in the Identiti Rebate).
thanks. i may need to break it down again and set it up from scratch. we'll see

yeah vas i hear ya. i recently ditched the headlock

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
no prob. Not sure if it really tightens down any more - I just like the Tree products and that the Headset cap is really low profile. Plus you can use a metric or US allen key to tighten it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
you know i never noticed the tree cap, i think i might need to get me one of them...What tpi size is a standard mtb star nut? These might need to go on all the bikes...Anyone can you help?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
you know i never noticed the tree cap, i think i might need to get me one of them...What tpi size is a standard mtb star nut? These might need to go on all the bikes...Anyone can you help?
I think you need to use a freestyle star to use a Tree Cap. It makes sense as the Tree Cap is aluminum and you would want it thicker.

I'm guessing a bit here but I think the freestyle stars could hold within a steerer tube more tightly as the "star" pieces are shorter than on a typical one - again just pure guess.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, you can't use a Tree cap with an mtb star fangle as far as I know, but I could be wrong. I know they come in different sizes, but those are coordinated with all of the different sized weld in bmx fork nuts.
in that case, it'd be really trick to pick up a new Sunday or the new ODSY preload caps that are all drilled out super light and thin, then find a nut you can press or have welded in to use with that. I'll never be running a cable through mine, but it would still be pretty trick.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Kings lack a compression ring and rely on the tight fit of the upper race around the steer tube... and its not that tight because you can slide them on most forks without tools. That wobble happens on alot of kings and its why they come with that nylon washer which helps quiet down creaks.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
yeah, you can't use a Tree cap with an mtb star fangle as far as I know, but I could be wrong. I know they come in different sizes, but those are coordinated with all of the different sized weld in bmx fork nuts.
in that case, it'd be really trick to pick up a new Sunday or the new ODSY preload caps that are all drilled out super light and thin, then find a nut you can press or have welded in to use with that. I'll never be running a cable through mine, but it would still be pretty trick.

You realize they simple thread the ID of the fork steerer right so unless you are using a 1.5 fork that would be impossible....

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
You realize they simple thread the ID of the fork steerer right so unless you are using a 1.5 fork that would be impossible....
yeah, I knew some of them were just threaded like their bars... but I thought they made different sizes 1pc caps that could fit other forks? Last bmx forks I've had were Pitchforks, so that's what I was going off of...
I'm not quite pickin' up what you're layin' down about it being impossible unless I have a 1.5 steerer?? what am I missing here?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
heyo bringing this back after some field testing.

i ended up getting this star nut
http://www.danscomp.com/309015.php?cat=PARTS

and the tree cap size H10
http://www.danscomp.com/309022.php?cat=PARTS

this was the best thing i could do! i'm loving this set up. its been completely solid, similar to my old headlock, but dumb light (0.8oz) the tree cap and freestyle star nut weighed less than the hope head doctor wedge thing. i didnt like the hope wedge at all. i totally recommend this for people. the tree cap really makes it look clean especially.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
wow. i dont understand how people have so much trouble keeping their headsets from loosening.

i had this problem exactly once and it was caused by a super old chris king headset that had been on so many bikes you could pop the cups into the headtube without a press. :yikes:

Fish777

Chimp
Aug 26, 2007
used to use the headlock - but stopped because its way too heavy.
starnut now - but i know the tiny wobble u're talking about, i always have it, no matter how tight the starnut is.
perhaps my chris king is messed up somehow?
Sounds like you didn't install that one small spacer/washer on top of the headset before all the other spacers and stem. It should have been included with your headset.

No matter what it shouldn't wobble.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
heyo bringing this back after some field testing.

i ended up getting this star nut
http://www.danscomp.com/309015.php?cat=PARTS

and the tree cap size H10
http://www.danscomp.com/309022.php?cat=PARTS

this was the best thing i could do! i'm loving this set up. its been completely solid, similar to my old headlock, but dumb light (0.8oz) the tree cap and freestyle star nut weighed less than the hope head doctor wedge thing. i didnt like the hope wedge at all. i totally recommend this for people. the tree cap really makes it look clean especially.

smooth... throw up some pics.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
the cap is super low profile, never mind the spacers underneath. nicely hollowed out. such a cool bolt!