Quantcast

Computer help?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm looking for a computer with some specific stuff in it. Looking for one on the cheap, wondering if anyone can help me out....... These are the things it has to have:

• Intel Pentium 4 at 1.3 GHz or equivalent AMD processor.
• Wake on LAN
• AGP 4X video card slot
• UltraDMA 66 or 100 IDE hard disk interface, supporting DMA transfers
• ATI Radeon or nVidia GeForce2 graphics card with 32 MB of video
memory

The thing that is throwing me off is the DMA transfers. I consider myself fairly computer Savvy, but that is somthing I've never dealt with, and cant seem to find anything with that built in....

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BigMike said:
I'm looking for a computer with some specific stuff in it. Looking for one on the cheap, wondering if anyone can help me out....... These are the things it has to have:

? Intel Pentium 4 at 1.3 GHz or equivalent AMD processor.
? Wake on LAN
? AGP 4X video card slot
? UltraDMA 66 or 100 IDE hard disk interface, supporting DMA transfers
? ATI Radeon or nVidia GeForce2 graphics card with 32 MB of video
memory

The thing that is throwing me off is the DMA transfers. I consider myself fairly computer Savvy, but that is somthing I've never dealt with, and cant seem to find anything with that built in....

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

UDMA should be built in to your motherboard. It was introduced back in 95-ish or so. Unless you are buying somehting that is older than say 5 years, you shouldn't have to worry about it. It's a method of data transfer. It replaced the PIO standard.

I do have a PC or two that would fit the bill, but I think shipping them would be expensive. If you are interisted send me a PM and we'll chat.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ciaran said:
UDMA should be built in to your motherboard. It was introduced back in 95-ish or so. Unless you are buying somehting that is older than say 5 years, you shouldn't have to worry about it. It's a method of data transfer. It replaced the PIO standard.

I do have a PC or two that would fit the bill, but I think shipping them would be expensive. If you are interisted send me a PM and we'll chat.

So anything like this would work? (if I got an upgraded video card?)

any ideas for cheaper? I need three of these machines......

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
for what you are looking for you could go way cheaper. forget the big box manufactures and go with a local "white box" company. The stuff you are looking for is old so the big retailers are not going to be selling it.