Quantcast

computer help!

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i got a new program (Adobe Premiere Pro CS3) and it says i need more RAM to install it... how do i get more? i tryed restarting my computer but that didnt help

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hit it a couple of times with a pedal wrench.

You'll need at least 1 GB of RAM to run those programs. RAM is your computers memory.

Take this thread to the computer forum and some of RM's finest tech geeks should be able to help you out.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
ok thank you,

but in the main time... can someone tell me how to delet my RAM or tell how much free space i have on it

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
RAM is the memory that your computer uses while you're running programs. It is not the same as the memory on the hard drive.

The number of programs you have running will determine how much RAM you have available.

Are you on a Windows system or a Mac ?

Congrats on getting CS3.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pouring a mixture of bleach and soapy water into the disc drive will clean off your RAM and give your more of it to use.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
OK, how much RAM does the computer have? When you start up it should say. Or look for the key to press during boot to go into setup. It should say there.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
yeah im a biker not a computer person lol.... but thank AngryMetalsmith!

i just open up the computer it has two 256 mb cards.... would radio shack or a place like that have one that is 1 gig ?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
yeah im a biker not a computer person lol.... but thank AngryMetalsmith!

i just open up the computer it has two 256 mb cards.... would radio shack or a place like that have one that is 1 gig ?
No, you'll need to take it to a computer repair shop. They will be able to tell you if it can be up-graded and by how much. Best Buy has the Geek Squad for such things. But I would be more apt to take it to a smaller independent shop as their technicians are probably paid more and might give you a little better service than a bigger store.

Thanks, and good luck.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
what kind of comp do you have Fox? is it a Dell or HP or whatever? find out what model you have and go to the makers site. you should be able to find out how much RAM you can install. motherboards are designed to handle only so much and seeing that your rig is 5yrs old, you may not be able to add that much. go to http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and run this free program. this will give you a total inventory of your system, from maker, model, RAM, motherboard and all programs you have installed. if you cant get any info from the comp makers site, use the info from Belarc to do a google of the comp or the motherboard and get the info on how much RAM you can install.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
go to Dells site and see how much you can add. i found that info for my Dell laptop. they should tell you how much you can add and what type you will need. that's important to know what type since there are many and not all RAM is the same. you may find some deals on ebay. you can put it in yourself don't bother with best buy or circuit city. plenty of sites out there with info on how to do it if you don't. try pcworld.com otherwise do a google for RAM installation.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The translation for this error message is: Your pooter is too slow and old. Buy new one to run Adobe CS3.

Not to be a buzzkill, if you've only got 256mb of RAM in your machine, this probably means you don't have enough processing power to run any CS programs with any semblance of speed, if at all.

Not to mention that if you don't know what RAM is, you probably don't know how to use any CS programs anyway...stop before you hurt yourself.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The translation for this error message is: Your pooter is too slow and old. Buy new one to run Adobe CS3.

Not to be a buzzkill, if you've only got 256mb of RAM in your machine, this probably means you don't have enough processing power to run any CS programs with any semblance of speed, if at all.

Not to mention that if you don't know what RAM is, you probably don't know how to use any CS programs anyway...stop before you hurt yourself.
I thought he said he had 2 x 256mb sticks? Anyway you'd reckon a 5 year machine might be maxed out at 1G. I just up-graded my 5 year old Sony desktop to 1G which was the max possible. This is enough for me but yeah, you'd reckon a new computer would be the way to go.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
yeah i do need a new computer... im getting a mac... but i just got as new camera and got new editing programs