Quantcast

Computer Monitors.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Has anyone used a LCD TV as a monitor before? If so how does it compare to a equivalent size monitor? My cousin has a 30 inch Dell Monitor but it costs 1500 bucks. Any opinions?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I hooked my PC into our wide screen once. It was just weird. I have a 24 inch monitor I bought recently after the last one crapped out. Don't remember exactly how much but it was less than 300 at Costco and it still seems f-ing huge. I don't know why you would need anything bigger.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I recently bought a 23" Gateway HD monitor when i purchased a new computer and I couldn't be happier. It cost about 300 bucks and has excellent picture quality, I think it got like a 8.8/10 on CNET which for that site is almost as high a rating as they come. I thought I wanted a bigger monitor but anything bigger would just be overkill. If I ever watch any movies or videos I just stream them from the computer to my PS3 and to my big screen so I don't need a huge monitor. I could never bring myself to spend 1500 on a monitor.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
"monitors" cost less than "tvs" because "monitors" don't have tv tuners...in other words, you can plug a cable into an HDTV and get video, you cannot plug a cable into a monitor and get video....BUT...if you use a cable box like everybody I know, it'll work fine with the appropriate cable. The additional cost only covers the cable tuner and isn't worth it, IMO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My 24" HP LP2475w (and all other 24" LCDs) runs at 1920x1200 resolution. That's better than 1080p in TV-speak. You're not going to find a 24" LCD TV with 1080p resolution, let alone one that's sharp enough to read text on.

Moral of the story: monitors have their use. If you're going to use a display as a monitor get a real monitor. If you get a bargain basement LCD you'll lose some refresh speed and viewing angle but such problems are largely overblown imo.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
I use a 26" Samsung LCD TV as my monitor. Works fine, and I'm an avid gamer. Sure, a good monitor might have better resolution, but it suits me fine. I just wanted a 2nd tv in the spare room for when the woman watches her shows.